• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

And the 2 Cockatoos return again. (a bunch of photos)

Status
Not open for further replies.

igors mum

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
deb
i think why they puff the cheeks out is they are content. my galah does it and one of my tiels will do it also. everyone always says the black toos are so much louder then the white ones but to me its the way around. we only have a few black toos around here so maybe thats why.have hundreds of corellas and galahs though lol

Sunnyside

Real Name
Janice
My sister in law is from Australia and she shows me pics of the wild Toos' in her parents back yard. She and I are going to visit her parents next year! I told her I probably won't leave once I see a Too flying free....I can see me spending the rest of my life over there running around like a nut looking at all the pretty Toos'.:umbrella2: :bliss::umbrella2:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
How amazing to see them looking happy and healthy flying freely!

Matt

CeddysMum

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Astrid (formerly: 'featherbaby')
HA! Just be careful about feeding them, guys! A friend of mine (single and living alone) used to feed a small flock morning and night and he was so proud that they'd even knock on the window if he slept in :D ... I did warn him not to make it a daily routine ...

WELL, he went on a 6 week o/seas holiday, and when he came back they'd chewed through most of his fly screens, done "good" work on his window and door frames and done a variety of other damage around his place! :eek:

Guess they were not impressed that they didn't get their free brekky and dinner while he was away! :mad:

Oh, and I love the pictures, Renae :highfive: :D

Last edited:

daria

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Daria Feinstein
I live in Miami Florida and post about our feral flock of blue and yellow macaws. They have been coming to my backyard for years and it's amazing how tame they become once they trust you. A few will even takes nuts from my hand. I'm not worried about poachers as they seem to notice the difference between me and another feeder and everyone else. What is even more amazing is that there are four of them you come down sit, play and eat with my pet macaws and my pet macaws don't fly off! ( well one did once but came back 3 days later- I guess she didn't like the guy afterall.)

luvsgreys

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Stephanie
Gorgeous pictures! I love seeing pics of wild parrots flying free! :heart: Or in this case sitting in a tree. :D

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
wow, they are just beautiful!!! I would LOVE to go see that kinda thing at some point in my life.. :)

fidsmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Wow beautifull to see them. you are very lucky to have them come in your backyard.

FreeByrd

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
I'm convinced you live in Heaven on Earth..... :)

65sunnyday

Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
When I was in Oz, I too was told not to establish a precedent by regular feeding--that they would rip at your house, letting you know what they think of your sudden stinginess :eek:

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Thanks guys. :) We really enjoy having them here.

When I was in Oz, I too was told not to establish a precedent by regular feeding--that they would rip at your house, letting you know what they think of your sudden stinginess :eek:
Cockatoos were culled last year due to destroying buildings: Outrage over Broadway cockatoo cull - Council - News - Inner West Courier and Cockatoo Cull? « Alternative Media Group

In the second article, they say, and I quote: “ Apparently the only way to make sure that birds don’t damage buildings is to shoot them dead. ” A lot of people were furious about it, it doesn’t make us look good either.

With that said, we get anywhere from 2, up to 15, Cockatoos here at a time, we feed them when they visit, and they are yet to destroy anything. They sit on the gutter of our roof sometimes, depending how curious they want to be, but they will not start chewing/destroying.

CeddysMum

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Thanks guys. :) We really enjoy having them here.
Cockatoos were culled last year due to destroying buildings: Outrage over Broadway cockatoo cull - Council - News - Inner West Courier and Cockatoo Cull? « Alternative Media Group

In the second article, they say, and I quote: “ Apparently the only way to make sure that birds don’t damage buildings is to shoot them dead. ” A lot of people were furious about it, it doesn’t make us look good either.
I'm furious about culling - or even the suggestion - as well :mad: They do have every right to be here, in fact, they were here long before us, after all!

With that said, we get anywhere from 2, up to 15, Cockatoos here at a time, we feed them when they visit, and they are yet to destroy anything. They sit on the gutter of our roof sometimes, depending how curious they want to be, but they will not start chewing/destroying.
I believe the problem is when the feeding is a daily or several times daily occurrence to the point that a flock becomes dependant and doesn't even go foraging for food any more. IMHO, occasionally (kinda like a special treat) would not cause them to become destructive. At least that's what I told my friend when I warned him not to feed them 2x daily - well, he didn't listen did he? :p

CeddysMum

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
:confused: Now I have a double post! Sorry about that :o: (still blaming my laptop and/or internet)

Last edited:

crzybrdldy

Real Name
Patty
What wonderful pics, they are just beautiful!

Status
Not open for further replies.