• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

An Interesting Color Change

SunnySandi

Walking the driveway
So, little baby Cinder is now almost a year old. As she’s aged, slowly she’s been changing color. She was solid black with just a speck of tan on her back leg.

Now the tan has spread! She’s now shown to be a phantom (black with tan points like a Doberman), but not as pronounced as you’d expect a phantom to be. I initially figured she was just a low expression, but now that she’s a little older, I can see she actually has brindling in the phantom!

So I’m pretty sure her final tag would be a brindle phantom

Interestingly, I generally read that the phantom marks are fully present at birth, where hers have developed (and still are developing) as she ages. And as she’s still a baby, her color could continue to change. More so interesting, she came from a silver x red pairing :thinking:

Some photo tax, when she first came home, vs current

IMG_1752.jpeg

IMG_2767.jpeg
IMG_2766.jpeg
@Toy I figure you may also find this interesting lol

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oooh she's absolutely beautiful :heart:

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She's a beauty :). Love her expressions. Poodles are amazing dogs.

I always checked the hair in the bottom of the feet. If, when a puppy, there is a different color in the bottom of the feet you could pretty much assume it'd show up eventually on the body.

Silvers, like my silver male Shirkan, are born black & then change over a year or so to silver. You can speed it up by shaving them, but I like to just let it grow in naturally. Silvers often have several shades of silver & maybe a tiny bit of white. If a section of hair gets pulled it can show up black later on.

Reds often fade to a much lighter shade. I've seen blacks fade to blue, which is a dark gun metal color.

SunnySandi

Walking the driveway
She's a beauty :). Love her expressions. Poodles are amazing dogs.

I always checked the hair in the bottom of the feet. If, when a puppy, there is a different color in the bottom of the feet you could pretty much assume it'd show up eventually on the body.

Silvers, like my silver male Shirkan, are born black & then change over a year or so to silver. You can speed it up by shaving them, but I like to just let it grow in naturally. Silvers often have several shades of silver & maybe a tiny bit of white. If a section of hair gets pulled it can show up black later on.

Reds often fade to a much lighter shade. I've seen blacks fade to blue, which is a dark gun metal color.
Between her toes is all black as well! She’s an interesting one lol