• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

amylase is too high

Idaho Spud

Moving in
Real Name
Kim
Hello, So, I took my bird to vet and her amylase is too high...Is there any special food you could recommend that might bring these levels down in my Eclectus female, fresh foods, she was given way to much people foods, bacon I've been told was her favorite...I'm finding it difficult to add fresh fruit/vegi's to her diet...she wants noodles, or cheese...as I've carried her around on my shoulder and she squawks when she smells these things and nudges me, as to say, "I want that now!" ..any suggestions?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Try birdy bread. Use pellets ground up via a blender & made into flour. You'll need to add some other type f flour. I used corn meal flour. Add in mixed veggies, etc. I used mini muffin pans & my birds love them. I made a big batch & froze them after baking/cooling. I pop them in the microwave to thaw & let cool to room temp. You can start with a very basic recipe. Give your bird a few days to try them & if she takes to them the next batch you can add more stuff.

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
Amylase- so generally pancreas. Did they confirm pancreatitis? Acute or otherwise? or were the levels just elevated?
A amylase level greater than 1,500U/L is suggestive of pancreatitis. Do you remember the level?

Ekkies are my specialty- but elevated vs acute are very different treatments.
@Idaho Spud

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Like @mythic55 said an extremely high Amylase reading can indicate pancreatitis.
Whether your girl likes it or not you will have to change her diet. If it were your son or daughter would you make them do what the Dr. says or let them eat whatever - no matter if it is likely to kill them. Your bird is no different and you have control.

"Diagnosis is made by history, clinical signs seen on physical examination, radiographs, and laboratory blood tests.

In order for the pancreas to heal, it must be completely “rested” to allow time to recuperate. Your pet may be hospitalized so that no food, water, or medications need be given orally until the acute signs subside. Anything given by mouth can stimulate the pancreas to produce more destructive enzymes, which, of course, we want to prevent. During this time of hospitalization all nutrition, fluids, and drugs will be given by injection which allows the pancreas to rest.

Recurrence is common. It is very IMPORTANT that you prevent access to foods that might lead to another attack. Low-fat diets are often required for the rest of the pet’s life to avoid problems. Diet control is the key to avoiding future attacks.

Severe scarring of the pancreas can lead to other problems such as liver diseases, diabetes, and inability to properly digest food. If enough of the pancreas has been destroyed, daily food supplementation with digestive aids may be needed to insure the pet can digest food sufficiently to maintain a healthy body.

Early diagnosis and treatment followed by conscientious home care will give your pet the best chance of recovery."

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
@Hankmacaw

Is 100% correct. Ekkies require a fresh diet. But maybe you live in Australia? Last time I heard about bacon and chicken, etc it was as a conference for ekkies in Australia...

Ideal Diet Composition:
No Fortification or Dyes
High Moisture, Low Fat, Low-Moderate Protein, Soluble Fiber
(Protein (-) 7%, Fiber (-) 8%, Fat (-) 3%, Moisture (+) 70%)

In the wild:
Fruits comprise 65%
Vegetable matter comprise 22%
Nuts and seeds 10%
And a bit of other.

Here is an EXACT perfect, easy to follow recipe for an Eclectus Diet that has ALL the vitamins and minerals, macros/micros that ekkies require.
The natural eclectus diet was broken down and replaced with commonly found substitutes with the same composition to provide a diet that is nutritionally (macro and micro) balanced. The simplified, 'Functional Elegant Eclectus Diet' is easily executed by the average person living in most counties.

1 Cup Mixed: Plums, Blueberries, Cantaloupe, Papaya, Mango
1 Cup Mixed: Butternut Squash, Carrots, Zucchini, Baby Bok Choy
Protein: 6.0%, Fiber: 7.0%, Fat: 2.5%, Moisture: 80%
High sugar Total Calories: 127

Abundant hexrose (fructose and gluclose) and starch from seeds is primary energy source. Digesting fat in the duodenum is a lengthy process in their unique anatomy. Therefore, Eclectus produce triglycerides in the liver (which are abundantly present soft fleshy fruit) which replaces the need for high fat. Excess fat from seeds or pellets slows digestion causing digestive distress and most notably pancreatitis.

Here is a post I diod today regarding an easy way to store fresh produce for ekkies:
Things I have found that dont thaw well:
Greens of any kind: carrot tops, spinach, kale, microgreens (microgreens was a expensive fail), herbs, etc
Peppers: I never really noticed the 'rubbery' texture- maybe Dimitri has? but he hasnt said anything to me ;)
High water content: Not saying it isnt possible, but these are tricky:
Watermelon (but other melons are fine)
Cucumbers
Oranges (but kumquats are fine in slices)

If things get mushy- that is not a problem, your little monster may not care?
Here is what I put together this morning, some things that were left over in my fridge.
What you need: knife, ziplock bags (resealable as you will be adding to the bags- almost daily)

Step 1: Cut up whatever you have on hand. Put in freezer until frozen.
This it what it looks like before freezing:
From left to right:Yams, zucchini, green beans, banana, carrots and sweet potato (cooked), gooseberries and thai chili, blue berries, mango, kiwi, red bell, broccoli slivers
View attachment 332117

Step 2: To this I add pieces of stuff I have frozen premade from the supermarket (I chop it frozen): Cranberries, Jackfruit, Papaya, Pineapple, Cherries, Peas, Strawberries
This is what it looks like when I put it in bags (use multiple bags- in this case I used two bags):

View attachment 332118
View attachment 332120

Step 3:
Later today, I will add to these bags after I make meals for my hubby and I. *Frozen in the same manner, add to each bag.
Butternut squash (leftover from dinner trimmings)
Brussel Sprouts (leftover from dinner trimmings)
Quinoa (because I will make it for lunch)
Apple (leftovers from my breakfast)

Step 4:
Tomorrow I may ad:
Plum pieces (from breakfast)
Corn (from dinner)
Cooked cauliflower (from dinner)
Kidney beans (cooked from lunch)

*Frozen in the same manner, added to each bag, I will fluff up the bags to mix it together.

By adding a little to EACH bag a day- it never depletes (even though I remove from the bags each day). So I know that I will always have variety on hand. This takes the stress out of it. Of course I give fresh- but this is foolproof :)

This is the mini freezer I can store everything in- it was 160usd:
View attachment 332119

Hope this helps!!! :birdance:
The important thing to to KEEP TRYING.
Eat what you want them to eat IN FRONT OF THEM. Ekkies have bizzarre gastric habits: The intermittent feeding habit of eclectus parrots initiates gastric secretion of pepsin and breaks down the food slowly. Gastric secretion of hydrochloric acid is key to solving functional digestive disorders and this is triggered before the consumption of food. Captive parrots should be fed regularly two times per day and witness their food being prepared or have a small snack prior to the meal.

Ill stop writing now and wait for a reply.... oops, I got carried away.

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
Opps- I also forgot to mention- some cooked beans- just a couple everyday. Kidney beans are the most nutritious.

(sorry, it was too late to edit).

Idaho Spud

Moving in
Real Name
Kim
Hello Everyone, Thank you for all the great information, we are trying...I can't get her to eat one green thing. lettuce, celery tops, parsley, cilantro, cabbage...I bought her, senior pellets...a very good type, I was told by the vet....She can smell cheese for miles, not sure if its good for her, but I've cut out all the people foods pretty much, she does eat her pineapple, mango, blackberries, and some beans...black-eyed I made first, after a couple days, she wouldn't touch them..thank heavens I only made a few...today I have some kidney beans soaking and navy beans..I was cutting up a ham I made the other day to freeze..and she kept squawking and poking her beak into my cheek, so I did give a few nibbles, but found it really wasn't the ham it was the fat that she wanted, she is eating the smaller colored pellets that the vet gave to me, versus the big ones, that previous owner had given to me, they may be stale, it appears that she does have a palette for flavor tasting things . Today I got a zoo med lamp UVB rays for her, since she was starved of no sunlight for years, she seems to be liking it. I have to believe that I'am doing some things right, her fluff is starting to pop up all over her, my family and I are very excited about it....Here's what the report red areas say....and I've no idea what they all mean...any help in understanding would be very helpful, and thank you for talking to me. And helping me get this lovely little creature back into, perfect health or the best that can be possible at this point in her life, I truly appreciate all the comment and concern for help me with her....Here goes: Phosphorus 3.5, Sodium 155, Chloride 125, GGT? no idea what that means..-1, Cholesterol 34, Amylase 1,706...Creatine Kinase 734, Bile acids 26.3...all of these are in red, whether high on the list chart or low on the chart. Vet said she was more concerned over the amylase number.
Any info would be terrific, and thanks again...25 day Eclectus Female bird owner...she 20yr old, the vet told me from her band on her leg..born in 2000' in Florida by a breeder. Kim & Sweetie

Pyropus

Walking the driveway
This might be of help, just watched it the other day funnily enough,

I am still doing research on nutriton, but so far finding a lot of what they say adds up to what I read and what makes sence. Likely someone in here with experience can say more for sure, but I do know they have a cookbookset which includes one that mimic human foods but with bird safe ingridients to help trick birds over onto better food.

I have not read the books yet though, but is sure someone here has, or could maybe point to other cook books like that which could be helpfull.

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
Ill make this list:
Lettuce- no
Celery- no
Cilantro- you can certainly feed it
cabbage- no

I can't get her to eat one green thing. lettuce, celery tops, parsley, cilantro, cabbage...I bought her, senior pellets...a very good type, I was told by the vet
Vets go through little to no nutritional training- even then, ekkies are completely different. There is not a single ekkie owner on the forum that would agree with ANY pellets for ekkies- especially fortified for 'senior birds' (which your bird is not anyways).

pinneaple- yes
mango- yes
blueberries- yes
blackberries- yes

Any fortified, colored pellets can seriously hurt your ekkie- they are not like other birds, I cant say that enough.

Today I got a zoo med lamp UVB rays for her, since she was starved of no sunlight for years, she seems to be liking it. I have to believe that I'am doing some things right, her fluff is starting to pop up all over her, my family and I are very excited about it
Im glad you are doing such a good job and happy about the results. I can only offer more points: Keep that zoo med far off the enclosure- otherwise it can damage their eyes.

Here goes: Phosphorus 3.5, Sodium 155, Chloride 125, GGT? no idea
no idea what that means..-1, Cholesterol 34, Amylase 1,706...Creatine Kinase 734, Bile acids 26.3
That's fatty liver. The diet needs to be changed immediately. It is affecting the pancreas also- pancreatitis borderline. Join the section for Eclectus- there is oodles of information on there. Read through the most recent posts :)

Is this a designated avian vet?

Edit: I put it in bold because it needs immediate action, some of those numbers actually lay the way for hepatic liver damage.

Last edited:

Idaho Spud

Moving in
Real Name
Kim
I live in Michigan, as I'm re-reading all the wonderful comments and suggestions.

Pyropus

Walking the driveway
Nods, havent seen it fully yet, but figured some probably had and would know more as said.
I do get that with parrots being like many humans fickle to change their diet and try new things, cookbooks with what they can eat and how to make it seem similar could help.

I been told many a time to not tell other guests what might be in our food. And as the same trick is used on many another animal to get to eat stuff they migth not otherwise.. No guranties in the method, but many times it does work.

Idaho Spud

Moving in
Real Name
Kim
Where is it the Ekkies Section to join, I get so lost in finding anything where to find this section to join..I need schooled on how to find anything, besides all of your lovely replies. Kim

Idaho Spud

Moving in
Real Name
Kim
Ill make this list:
Lettuce- no
Celery- no
Cilantro- you can certainly feed it
cabbage- no

Vets go through little to no nutritional training- even then, ekkies are completely different. There is not a single ekkie owner on the forum that would agree with ANY pellets for ekkies- especially fortified for 'senior birds' (which your bird is not anyways).

pinneaple- yes
mango- yes
blueberries- yes
blackberries- yes

Any fortified, colored pellets can seriously hurt your ekkie- they are not like other birds, I cant say that enough.

Im glad you are doing such a good job and happy about the results. I can only offer more points: Keep that zoo med far off the enclosure- otherwise it can damage their eyes.

That's fatty liver. The diet needs to be changed immediately. It is affecting the pancreas also- pancreatitis borderline. Join the section for Eclectus- there is oodles of information on there. Read through the most recent posts :)

Is this a designated avian vet?

Edit: I put it in bold because it needs immediate action, some of those numbers actually lay the way for hepatic liver damage.
Thank you! she doesn't like blueberries, its possible that she not had them in years, and has forgotten that she needs to acquire a taste for them, strawberries seem to be out too, I did find a papaya and its not ripe yet, but I have it in a brown paper bag, hoping it ripens soon. Kiwi she wouldn't even try, and I'm seeing that there is so many things that i think she's not had in such a long time, and will take some patience of me, and time for her to start eating them.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's just this section: Eclectus Alley

You don't have to do anything special to join. It's just where Eclectus-specific topics are

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
@Idaho Spud
It will take time... and also:
Patience
Trial and Error
Perseverance
Perspective
Understanding
Hard firms ;)

There are a multitude of ways to make your dinosaur happy AND healthy. But it does take the above to ensure they positively progress. It is a lot of information to take in- so feel free to ask oodles of questions.

Pyropus

Walking the driveway
And ok so yeah I dont know the levels, but if thats fatty liver levels then they are rigth about the starch. Need to cut that down, its basicly how they make foie gras, overfeed on starch beyond the animals needed enery levels. Which ends with absorbed glucose being converted to triglyserids thats deposited in the liver.

And pending where you are in the world corn flour can also used about corn starch..so beware of language differences and terms there (had a few when traveling to other continents and they use terms differently for baking so knows to keep an look out for them).

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
@Pyropus
Starch (like found in sweet potatoes, etc) it extremely valuable, in fact for eclectus, hexrose (fructose and gluclose) and starch from seeds is primary energy source.

Digesting fat in the duodenum is a lengthy process in their unique anatomy (versus a African grey or amazon). Therefore, Eclectus produce triglycerides in the liver (present in soft fruit and starchy veggies) which replaces the need for fat. Excess fat from seeds/pellets, with a lower water content slows digestion causing digestive distress. Eclectus parrots prefer carbohydrate rich, protein and lipid poor diets.

The liver is reacting to high fat and non soluble fiber with lower moisture content.