• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Amy current or past dog breeders on here?

Momof3litt

Sprinting down the street
Thanks @Sparkles, that was a great read. My concern isn't so much the co-ownership, I have known other breeders to do that as well, it is the "3 litters in 6 months" part. I have been involved in vet care for breeding animals, but not been personally involved in dog breeding, so am glad to have some other opinions. For what it's worth, I've had quite a few exchanges with the breeder and while she is a small-scale home breeder, I'm really not getting backyard/volume breeder vibes. However, I also don't think she shows her dogs, so not sure about her commitment to improving the breed as opposed to just making cute puppies.

In any case, this isn't the right situation for us, we have passed. As a small update though, one of the potential breeding dogs has found a "guardian" home, the second is now for sale, for $2500.

To those who suggested rescue, I'd love to, but my partner has allergies and a purebred poodle is really the only breed that he could live with and meets the other criteria for the "right" breed for us. I'd prefer a standard to a mini (although I have known and loved the smaller types). I will admit to also having had a very poor experience with a rescue dog I adopted in the past and for a variety of reasons would prefer to start out with a young dog I can socialize and train for our lifestyle.

@Sparkles99, I am unfortunately very aware of the puppy mill problems in Quebec. When I look for breeders (for any animal), I usually look outside of the province. I don't mind a road trip if it means a properly-bred and healthy animal. That's why Argo is from the Muskoka region :).

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
No, but it sounds interesting, at least for potential poodle owners!

Bunchobird

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Mali
ADOPT DONT SHOP GUYS!!! MIXED BREEDS LIVE LONGER, ARE MORE FRIENDLY, AND ARE JUST THE SAME AS "PUREBREEDS".. why a purebred?!

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
For predictability & rank beginner suitability.
  • Predictable size = will fit in my home.
  • Predictable temperament = less likely to challenge me, which also means that oblivious me will be less likely to say stuff like, "Oh, she's just being friendly!", as so many do while their dog threatens someone.
  • Predictable trainability = I have enough challenges without adding a strong willed, independent character.
  • Predictable gentleness = I'm not worried about my young nieces & nephews, or my dog attacking other animals.
  • Non-scary looks & size = my neighbours aren't likely to try to get me evicted for my sheltie.
    • Also, I've been attacked by dogs several times in my life, most seriously at 4. I remember. It was my first dog experience. I can't have an intimidating dog due to me, not just others.
    • For many people this is also important due to lowered costs for food & vet care (anesthesia, euthansia, etc. go up with size).
  • Predictable exercise needs = I live in an apartment. There is a communal lawn, but it's not the same as having your own. An exercised dog is a happy dog.
Any dog, purebred, crossbred or mixed may be smart, loving, friendly, etc. But not all dogs are suitable for all people & situations. Not all areas have a ton of unwanted dogs. Mine doesn't & most up for adoption are pitbull mixes. Does that really sound like the kind of dog for someone who knows nothing? Edited to add that this is relevant, because the OP & I live in the same area.

Yelling when you don't know others' situation or the situation in their area is unhelpful. In my area, rabbits are what people really should adopt rather than shop for. Dogs, birds including budgies & everything else is snapped up so quickly!