• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Amazon parrot black feather

Amani3149

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Amani
Hi Everyone!

l posted a thread before about my parrot disease he got better after months of treatments ( Antibiotics then anti fungal) unfortunately now his feather is turning black the tail is still dropped plus he stopped mounting like before otherwise his appetite is good(diet contains seeds, vegetables , fruits, nutribird I stopped the pellet because it irritates his digestive system) supplements I stopped everything occasionally I give him Mineral drops, Vit ADE, DMG , Bene BAC plus. Is this an indication of high level of fat or protein or what ?! I took him to many vet but they don’t know - where I live we dont have a good avian care
So please let me know if you have any idea of what might be the cause x

Attachments

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Two possibilities:

If the feathers have weak, thin lines in them or black lines, that appeared in freshly grown feathers, it is likely what we call a stress bar. These occur when something prevents the body from devoting enough resources to the feather while is is growing. Examples would be stress, nutritional deficiency, or illness. Assuming the stressor is gone when a new feather grows in, these will molt out over time.

The second is bronzing. This is when a feather that grew in fine has been rubbed or otherwise affected the tiny ridges on a bird's feather. Parrot color is partly an illusion created by feather structure that our eyes interpret as color; in your bird this color we see is green. If those ridges are worn enough, by handling, toweling, petting, or the bird playing roughly, then feathers that were healthy and vibrant can develop bronzing, and look black or brown instead of their normal color. Sometimes it's even from normal living, but a molt has been delayed longer than usual by stress, illness, or lack of nutrition, so new feathers haven't had a chance to grow in for a while.

Once the bird molts in new feathers these will slowly be replaced by healthy feathers, too.

Hope that helps :)

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I don't see anything scary but maybe it's me? Secret has feathers that appear black on the edges or so I think.

Amani3149

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Amani
Your pictures show bronzing.

Can you explain why you believe the pellets are not agreeing with him and which pellets you have tried.
Thanks for your reply!
when he got sick I noticed that immediately after he used to eat (soft & hard food) he would go to bite and rip anything including my fingers while moving the head in a strange way that happened every time after eating or drinking water when he was sick but now he stopped doing it unless I add pellets to the diet ( I dont know if it’s a sign of discomfort) but I can’t think about anything else
Thanks everyone for your help x

Amani3149

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Amani
Two possibilities:

If the feathers have weak, thin lines in them or black lines, that appeared in freshly grown feathers, it is likely what we call a stress bar. These occur when something prevents the body from devoting enough resources to the feather while is is growing. Examples would be stress, nutritional deficiency, or illness. Assuming the stressor is gone when a new feather grows in, these will molt out over time.

The second is bronzing. This is when a feather that grew in fine has been rubbed or otherwise affected the tiny ridges on a bird's feather. Parrot color is partly an illusion created by feather structure that our eyes interpret as color; in your bird this color we see is green. If those ridges are worn enough, by handling, toweling, petting, or the bird playing roughly, then feathers that were healthy and vibrant can develop bronzing, and look black or brown instead of their normal color. Sometimes it's even from normal living, but a molt has been delayed longer than usual by stress, illness, or lack of nutrition, so new feathers haven't had a chance to grow in for a while.

Once the bird molts in new feathers these will slowly be replaced by healthy feathers, too.

Hope that helps :)
Yes it does thank you!
Yes he was sick for months so is there anything that i can do to support him with molting?!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yes it does thank you!
Yes he was sick for months so is there anything that i can do to support him with molting?!
Fortified Pellets, fresh veggies, nuts. :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I am going to try pellets one more time what’s the most safe brand preferably no Ash added:)
You can compare pellets here:

Ash is non-organic mineral content, including calcium, phosphorous, zinc, iron, and other essential minerals. So if you want no added minerals, then TOPs is your only real option. I however am in the opposite camp and refuse to feed a pellet that is not vitamin fortified, especially if you are trying to combat a health issue. :)

Amani3149

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Amani
You can compare pellets here:

Ash is non-organic mineral content, including calcium, phosphorous, zinc, iron, and other essential minerals. So if you want no added minerals, then TOPs is your only real option. I however am in the opposite camp and refuse to feed a pellet that is not vitamin fortified, especially if you are trying to combat a health issue. :)
I am just scared after what happened and I am not sure if the kidneys can handle the load after all the medications that they were on. What brands are you using ?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I am just scared after what happened and I am not sure if the kidneys can handle the load after all the medications that they were on. What brands are you using ?
I am currently using Zupreem and Psittacus, trying to get him to eat Harrison's or Hagen right now :)

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
How much do you handle your bird? How old is your bird? Are you holding the bird alot? Does your bird roll around playing?

That looks to me like normal wear from being handled alot.

Seen in younger birds handled alot. Many Amazons can play rough and actually roll around playing. Mine had alot of this wear early on when they were babies.

If kidneys are an issue, your Vet can get a prescription Roudybush pellet. Harrison's high potency would be the pellet of choice for any bird that has had kidney or liver disease.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Before you start trying to correct something, you should have him tested by your vet for the diseases you are suspicious of.

Amani3149

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Amani
Before you start trying to correct something, you should have him tested by your vet for the diseases you are suspicious of.
I took him to several general vet around here but they don’t have any idea of how to deal with avians