• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Amazon is SUPER downy

peggopanic

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Peggy Wang
I’ve noticed that my YNA lately is really really and I mean really downy. She tends to shed year round. There was a dry spell this year and this past week she’s started molting. She’s got a massive amount of down. I’m talking a Canada Goose puffer jacket lol. Like it takes me a good minute to find her bald patches having to dig through her down. Can someone tell me if this is normal or if their zon has the same? I’ve had her for awhile and it’s the first time I’ve noticed and it’s been in the back of my head for the past month, just want to make sure it’s not a health issue. I recently just moved from CA straight into the desert, she can usually tolerate heat pretty well as she’s always been in hot summer climates but she’s so downy she can’t even be in direct sunlight more than a few minutes and she’s panting and heads for the shade (I try to give them at least 20-30 min of sunlight per day).

Attachments

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I used to live in Nevada. I'm not sure about your issue, but I can say the dry air was not kind to my birds.
IMO more bathing would be a good thing for Your bird's feather health.

peggopanic

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Peggy Wang
I used to live in Nevada. I'm not sure about your issue, but I can say the dry air was not kind to my birds.
IMO more bathing would be a good thing for Your bird's feather health.
Yup, mine get baths every other day now, sometimes two days in a row. The amazon thing is weird, I’m wondering if it’s an age thing or deficiency thing. I’m not concerned about the overheating as I don’t take her out for more than 10-15 minutes at a time in the shade, just wanted to make sure this wasn’t some condition (I’m a super paranoid parront). Thanks for the feedback!

Anita1250

Walking the driveway
Is she in A/C? Sometimes the artificial temperatures we have can interfere with the parrot's natural cycle of feather molting. I don't think that extra down feathers should be a concern. Perhaps she just has fluffier feathers! LOL

peggopanic

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Peggy Wang
Is she in A/C? Sometimes the artificial temperatures we have can interfere with the parrot's natural cycle of feather molting. I don't think that extra down feathers should be a concern. Perhaps she just has fluffier feathers! LOL
She is in the AC as it’s summertime. I do jade a couple of humidifiers for them when it’s running. I guess I’ll accept that she’s super fluffy. Weird, but I accept lol. She’s shedding a bit more today so I hope she’s back to normal by winter.

Anita1250

Walking the driveway
I know how you feel. Sometimes my living room looks like someone plucked a chicken in it LOL

peggopanic

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Peggy Wang
I know how you feel. Sometimes my living room looks like someone plucked a chicken in it LOL
:roflmao: Omg those are the worst! The vacuum blows them away, I end up walking in circles collecting down by hand. Years ago I though, maybe if I collect enough I can make a mini pillow for her lol!