• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Amazon ...Hmmm Simons former flock- mate

Status
Not open for further replies.

southerninak

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amy
Ok ...so here is the story...Most of you know I adopted Simon from the bird club because his prevous owner passed away. He had a flock of about 4 or so large birds... Well the Amazon of the flock needs to be rehomed due to the same problem Simon had at his foster home.Screaming all the time. I know his living arrangement ,He lives in the living room. there are about 5 little dogs in the home. His owner is good to him but says he is moody and screams incessantly ( he screams Simons name a lot ) Any how she has asked me if I could take him and find out if he just misses his flock. So I told her she needs to come over today so we can talk about it. My gut is telling me yes,because I think Simon does miss his flock..and I feel like they should stay together,if possible . This will definitely put me at my limit for birds, I told DH I would get no more than 6. I will then have 3 large birds and 3 tiels. The tiels are upstairs and after Qt the big birds will all be in the bird room. Oh he is a double yellow head Amazon,and he's beautiful!

Angelicarboreals

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angela
WOW, he is beautiful!

Stevo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Stephen
Sounds like He and Simon had a bond and will be happy once reunited. I certainly hope that's the case and you dont have to get hearing protection.... lol.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I sure hope it will work out for you. Just be careful, many cockatoos do not like amazons, and vice versa. None of my 'toos liked any of the amazons.

However, Opa did, and I have pics of him and Sydney preening eachother and perching by eachother at night. Opa was still very young then though, that was up until Opa decided he was a cockatoo and not an amazon(although Sydney my YNA still liked Opa and was very protective of him).

Sometimes birds will learn other animals names,etc, because they are always said in such a very powerful, strong way, it doesnt mean they necessarily are calling out for that animal in a loving, I miss you, way.

So get this amazon, if YOU want him, not because Simon may miss him. Because things may or may not work between this zon and Simon. So as long as you know this, and can keep them seperated, if need be, and yet still give great quality of care, food, great amount of toys, and vet care, and proper cages, then I think you are good :)

southerninak

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amy
I sure hope it will work out for you. Just be careful, many cockatoos do not like amazons, and vice versa. None of my 'toos liked any of the amazons.

However, Opa did, and I have pics of him and Sydney preening eachother and perching by eachother at night. Opa was still very young then though, that was up until Opa decided he was a cockatoo and not an amazon(although Sydney my YNA still liked Opa and was very protective of him).

Sometimes birds will learn other animals names,etc, because they are always said in such a very powerful, strong way, it doesnt mean they necessarily are calling out for that animal in a loving, I miss you, way.

So get this amazon, if YOU want him, not because Simon may miss him. Because things may or may not work between this zon and Simon. So as long as you know this, and can keep them seperated, if need be, and yet still give great quality of care, food, great amount of toys, and vet care, and proper cages, then I think you are good :)
I know , I am aware that they may not play together. Of course my hope is that the reason he is screaming is because he misses a flock. I think that was Simon's issue and living with Pepper fulfills that need for flock. Patrek does not have a flock (feathered) I'm hoping that everything works out beautifully (yea I know ,rose colored glasses and all) and if not I can deal with the vet care and the toys as well as space. by seperated you mean out of cage time right? Because I'm pretty sure I would need to do the same thing I do now with Simon and Pepper. They are out at the same time but not in the same area all the time. Simon is not flighted so he stays down low and Pepper is flighted so she stays up high, I NEVER leave them out alone and watch them like a hawk. I know it will be more work and a little more expensive but ...he has a huge cage already so no worries there.
I am a little nervous of course because I know it changes the dynamics of our flock, but at least we know this is the last change ( because when I promise hubby something I keep that promise.) 6 is it, and we'll all live happily ever after:D

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I think you should consider doing it.
I know how Sunny and Chico are both alone and now with their respective friends Jimi and Polly.
I do think birds need a flock and I know I cannot be there all the time for all of them.
I'll be interested to hear if you go ahead and what their reaction is when they see each other again.

M

M.C Bird Rescue

I say...LOL. It cannot hurt to try. He is a beautiful boy. You know what to and to not do, so I am just gonna wish you luck on your decision, and if you need help in anything just ask away. Good Luck and I hope the decision is an easy one..even though adding is never easy. :hug8:

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
wow, what a beautiful bird!

southerninak

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amy
I just spoke with my friend ....She can't do it yet. Poor thing. She 's going to try 3 more months. Which I think is a great idea. She's had him 9 months now.
She had a behaviorist come in and they clipped his wings and they gave her a list of things to try . I really hope it works out for her....:rolleyes: I guess:rofl:. No, really I do:o:

So no Amazon for me:(

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
Im sorry but happy at same time hes beautiful and i have to say when i had boggie he was quiet much more than mango so dont know if dyh is quieter or not or if it was just him , three months isnt that long so dont make any plans in the next 3 months ok lol

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
At the rescue, the amazons and cockatoos get along with each other for the most part. There are a few cockatoos that don't like the amazons and vice versa. We actually had a bonded pair of a WFA and a LSC2 for a while.
Midwest Avian Adoption & Rescue Services, Inc. (MAARS) - Bird adoption, sanctuary, rescue, and care education services for parrots and other captive exotic 'pet' birds. News and Events - BORN TO BE WILD: Second Annual MAARS Benefit Silent Auction and
So they could be bonded, who knows.
Edit: sorry just saw the above post. Sorry it didn't work out. :( But maybe it's for the best.

Last edited:

southerninak

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amy
Well it must be for the best. :shrug2:
I do want her to be sure, because if he comes over it will need to be final. I will be ready in 3 months with open arms if this doesn't work out.:evilgrin:
I hope he's happy where ever he is.
Thanks for listening and for your support.

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
They say a month of our time is just a day for a bird, so do hope it works out for him.:hug8:

southerninak

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amy
Re: UPDATE Amazon ...Hmmm Simons former flock- mate

OMG he's here,at my house! he's just so awesome.:heart: I know he will be on his best behavior but he's so great. She said she can't get him out of his cage..I can get him out easily:elefant:... She thinks he didn't like her:shrug:.I don't know about that ...all I know is that he snuggles and I don'tknow how to explain it he kind of purrs when I pet him on his head .He closes his eyes and purrs! he does kind of growl when I pick him up but steps up with no problem.She said he will not come out of his cage...It took me two hours of convincing but he came out on his own.:muahaha: he loves these little yogurt jalipino things... he eats well and talks up a storm. He LOVES his jaws scratched and closes his eyes and leans in:rofl: I think I'm n love:heart:

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki

OMG he's here,at my house! he's just so awesome.:heart: I know he will be on his best behavior but he's so great. She said she can't get him out of his cage..I can get him out easily:elefant:... She thinks he didn't like her:shrug:.I don't know about that ...all I know is that he snuggles and I don'tknow how to explain it he kind of purrs when I pet him on his head .He closes his eyes and purrs! he does kind of growl when I pick him up but steps up with no problem.She said he will not come out of his cage...It took me two hours of convincing but he came out on his own.:muahaha: he loves these little yogurt jalipino things... he eats well and talks up a storm. He LOVES his jaws scratched and closes his eyes and leans in:rofl: I think I'm n love:heart:
Congratulations!! So, did your friend just decide it wasn't working and brought him sooner? I'm glad it's going well so far.:heart:

southerninak

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amy
I am confused here. What didn't work out and what did you get? :confused:
Well ,Last week I was supposed to get this amazon and the owner had changed her mind and tried a behaviorist and told me she wouldn't rehome him.then decided she couldn't do it .He doesn't like her and will not come out of his cage for her? ( and screams all the time) but she is young and the previous owner who passed away was an older lady///I'm not old but I am in my 40's :rofl:
I'm so excited. He is a double yellow head Amazon.

southerninak

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amy

Congratulations!! So, did your friend just decide it wasn't working and brought him sooner? I'm glad it's going well so far.:heart:
Yes , after the behaviorist left she felt confident that she would be able to make him happy ,but her lifestyle just didn't mesh with him. She had about 6 small dogs in the home and I think he didn't like them. He would not allow her to take him out of his cage and of course he screamed a lot. her DH was motivated to get him out also:( She really wanted to keep him but he was not really happy...

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Well ,Last week I was supposed to get this amazon and the owner had changed her mind and tried a behaviorist and told me she wouldn't rehome him.then decided she couldn't do it .He doesn't like her and will not come out of his cage for her? ( and screams all the time) but she is young and the previous owner who passed away was an older lady///I'm not old but I am in my 40's :rofl:
I'm so excited. He is a double yellow head Amazon.
Okay, sounds good! He is very beautiful. Just watch those eyes and tail. Atleast Amazons have a readable body language. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.