• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Amazon adolescence years?

Elizabeth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
When my GCC reached breeding age at 2, he went through a very difficult period until he hit around 7, when he more or less evened out.

How long does adolescence last in Amazons? I’m looking at a 16-yo male OWA and am wondering if he’s likely to still be in that super-hormonal phase?

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Matthew
You don't hear about OWAs being as volatile as napes, BFs, and DYAs, but individuals vary. My DYA (hen, I think) is 29 and still gets hormonal. Fortunately, the extent of this is speed dating her toys. Is he a potential rescue adoption or a rehome? I'd ask the caregivers/owners what he's like in the spring. I like OWAs and think they're overlooked and underrated by many as pets.

Elizabeth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
You don't hear about OWAs being as volatile as napes, BFs, and DYAs, but individuals vary. My DYA (hen, I think) is 29 and still gets hormonal. Fortunately, the extent of this is speed dating her toys. Is he a potential rescue adoption or a rehome? I'd ask the caregivers/owners what he's like in the spring. I like OWAs and think they're overlooked and underrated by many as pets.
He is a rescue adoption and DNA-sexed male. I’ve been told he’s very sweet, and he’s a favorite at the rescue. I don’t know whether they’d know how he is in the spring, but I’ll ask. The rescue is run by my birds’ vet and many of the birds there are longtime patients, so it’s possible they’ll have a history.

I’m so lucky to have my vet also run a rescue. She’s the best avian vet I’ve had and does a wonderful job with the rescue and sanctuary birds. At vet appointments I always stop to say hello to the rescue birds, and bring them foraging toys and enrichment.