• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Am I on the right track with Cosmo?

Butterflygirl

Moving in
Real Name
Heather
Hi Guys! So I've had Cosmo for 4 days and wanted to make sure I'm doing everything right. I noticed right from the beginning that he didn't seem too scared of my presence or if I had to put my hands in the cage to remove food and water dishes or to take perches and toys out to clean the poop off. What I have been doing is putting my hand in the cage and keeping still. Then I feed him some millet with my fingers which he happily eats. I was also able to gently stroke his cheek and he didn't flinch...maybe he was too scared? I offered millet after that. Last night I was at his cage chatting to him and he flew and hopped over to me and clung onto the cage. I fed him some millet and then gently stroked his chest through the bars. He actually fell asleep! Was he enjoying that or was he hoping I'd be gone when he opened his eyes? LOL. I dont want to move too fast in gaining his trust so should I keep doing what I'm doing with keeping a still hand in the cage and then offering millet? Will I know when it's time to start trying to get him to step up on my finger?

Gazimon

Sprinting down the street
It sounds like he is enjoying it! A scared budgie will immediately hop to the opposite end of the cage. Their instinct when endangered is to fly away, and not play dead. Try bringing your finger near his breast towards his legs to see if he will step up. If he nibbles curiously allow him to do so. If he hops away do not move or withdraw instantly, pause a while and let him study the finger, then try again slowly. However, the fact that he eats from your hand already means he does not see an issue with it and may be ready for further bonding or stroking.