• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Am I crazy or is it possible to mimic bird body language and comunícate with them?

Azor

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Azor
I stretch my arm and leg to the side, then lift my elbows and have done this for a very long time to say helow (or as a respons to the same movement).

I challenge dominant behavior to and some other stuff, besides that I'm acting "human".

II think it works? Ether that or my birds are exceptionally human-social!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I mean, communication doesn't exist in a vacuum. Just like they learn some of what we say I'm sure we can learn some of what they say! Body language is huge! I don't think it's crazy at all :)

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Oh they watch & imitate. If I bob to Penny she will bob back.
They understand much more than given credit for.
I am still amazed at how Penny will tell Rio to step up when he is being a pain & I reprimand him... :awww:

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Not crazy at all. It doesn't even need to be mimicry.

My macaws lift a foot to tell me they want to be picked up, or I extend an outstretched hand to see if they want to.

I make a come-here motion to initiate recall...

Pair a motion with a behaviour or idea often enough, and it can become communication.

Primates have even been taught sign language.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Penny lifts her foot for up & also says step up.
They understand.
I said mimickery as I had never bobbed for Penny. I just did it sort of a dance & she copied me. Penny will anticipate the sound of the microwave & make the beep just by hearing the door close she knows that the beep comes next.

Rio not so much but Penny is amazingly intelligent!

Azor

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Azor
Yes i know that they are smart, my budgie female understands several words and my male budgie is some sort of mastermind (for he's age, still a baby). She follows verbal commands (when she wants). What perplexes me is that i think i can manipulate bird flock behaviour by acting like a bird.
I'm not saying that they don't understand human language. I'm saying that understanding bird language and trying to incorporate it in how you train your bird seem to be very effective. Trying to act like a bird, being "bird-man" thus increasing coherent communication.
I never doubted the intelligence of animals.