• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Always anxious new cockatiel

Travis726

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Travis
Elf sounds similar to my new guy just more extreme. When I got him he just stood totally still and silent. He still is to some extent (I got him 1 week ago today). But every day he is a little more outgoing.

The manager of the store sounds like a pretty cool lady. She put herself out there for the good of elf... Most people wouldn't do that.

melissa68

Walking the driveway
congrats on your new baby! When I got Henry I had read and read on here about taking it slow. I really tried to do it...for about two hours lol. I just couldn't let him have his space. I was down on the floor stuffing my hand in his space asking him to step up...and HE DID! I'd then tell myself I had to go back to taking it slow because I didn't want to traumatize him so I'd go sit back on the couch and just watch him...until I couldn't stand it anymore and back I went to having him step up.

His cage was left open from day two.

I tell you, I did everything wrong. I figured he'd let me know if I was doing something he wasn't comfortable with. So just take your ques from the bird and move as fast as he/she will let you.

As far as being clipped I would move all the perches etc down low. Once Henry was comfortable down low I got rope perches and I'd make walkways for him to move around and up and down his cage.

If you didn't know already you can DNA sex your bird for around $15. Here is link if you are interested. I'm not affiliated, I just used them for Henry and loved how cost-effective and easy it was.

ElphietheC

Meeting neighbors
So Elf has grown more comfortable with us really quickly. She gets excited when we come in and sometimes calls for me. She eats millet from my hand happily. We left her cage door open and she came out now twice. She's still nervous around us, but she definitely wants to be close to us too.
Even my husband is in love with her, which makes this kind of devastating because I seem to be allergic to her. Like I can barely breathe allergic. We had our lovebird before and she made me a little stuffy but for some reason Elf makes me so much worse. I know cockatiels are dustier but I wonder if maybe my allergy got worse? We put our hepa air filter in the room, it's for a much bigger room so it's turning the air over super fast, but it isn't helping much. I tried misting her but she won't bathe yet. I had to use my husband's inhaler yesterday. I don't think we can keep her and even though we've only had her for a few days it really hurts.

Travis726

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Travis
:( have you tried any over the counter meds. Sounds alot like my bird and he is Soooo sweet.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Shucks. Sorry to hear. :( There is a chance that it's something in the food you are feeding or something in the cage you could be allergic to... but cockatiels are known for causing havoc to people with allergies and asthma. :(

ElphietheC

Meeting neighbors
I've tried allegra and zyrtec. I can't use Benadryl. We use bird toys in our rats cage and have no issues. And the food we feed her has the same types of seeds as the hamsters as well. I think it's her unfortunately. I feel kind of lost and upset.