• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Alternatives to the aviator harness?

haleybird

Moving in
Real Name
Haley
I've been working with my young tiel (using millet and touch training/reinforment) to accept wearing a harness, and she is great with it touching her, her touching it...but she does not like to stick her head through the neck portion. I don't want her to wear a harness against her will, or break her trust by forcing it on her and "just making her get over it" (one of my family members told me this, and I obviously threw that advice right out the window immediately). I think she would benefit from a harness that doesn't go over her head in a tight little strap that fits around her neck. Is there a brand that works more like a vest? What are your recommendations? Or if anyone has any tips on getting over this hurdle in accepting the harness?

SunnySandi

Walking the driveway
I was previously recommended and purchased this harness from a lovely woman on Etsy
Leathers4Feathers

The quality is great and it has a snap closure as well as buckles rather than a neck hole. Valkyrie ended up absolutely hating all harness though, but she loves her backpack!

For using the harness I’d just keep taking to really really slow so you don’t burn that bridge. I did w/ Valkyrie, but we found a better solution