• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Alright, here's the thing...

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I don't even know where to start with this, it's a weird situation.

So, I'm on Tiktok. I'm not famous or anything, but I post videos of my birds and occasionally do a live show where I'm just hanging out with the birds. I get a lot of bird people who like to follow along and it's a lot of fun.

Two days ago, I was contacted on Tiktok by a guy who wanted to rehome his cockatoo. Sam is 35, a triton as well, and currently resides about 8 hours away from me in Pennsylvania. At first, I didn't think it was a real deal - I thought it was a scam. But the guy (Len) doesn't want money or anything, he just wants a home, and the situation is similar to Isadora in that he and his wife are in their 70s, have other birds (a grey and an amazon), plus they have a puppy with a chronic kidney issue. Sam is the least independent bird they have, and they don't have the time and attention he requires to give him. He sees the vet yearly and gets blood work done, and I've already called his vet in order to get a copy of his history. His favorite food? Pizza. He also loves those cheese cracker sandwiches with the peanut butter in the middle, and he also likes cheddar cheese. He does eat veggies and nutriberries, but it doesn't sound like pellets are a thing for him. Like I said, I asked for copies of the blood work.

He's got a barbering issue, no biggie for me as I've dealt with that, and by the sounds of it, it's likely due to attention and diet. He's in a room by himself, where the other birds are together, so he's alone most of the day, because he can get loud. OK, he's a cockatoo. They do definitely love him, but I think he's just gotten to be more than they can handle, especially with a puppy as well.

I don't know what I'm looking for from y'all with this post, other than to talk it out because while I'm inclined, I do have reservations because, well, HOW does this happen to one person twice? And if you're skeptical, PLEASE say so. I have screenshots from Len for proof. I understand the skepticism. I will be happy to show whatever is needed. Hell, I'm skeptical myself.

Do I have the space for a second? Yes. Do I have the cage? Yes, they'll be giving me his SS cage. Do I have a place for quarantine? Yes. Do I have a vet? Yes (obviously, I guess, since I have other birds). Am I prepared for noise? Yes. Am I prepared for it all to go south? Also yes - If it doesn't work with me, he will go to a rescue, which I've told them.

What am I not thinking of?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Questions: Do you WANT another bird? This might seem obvious but I've been offered dozens of animals that would be free or fun to have.... But when I really did some soul searching I didn't actually WANT another soul to care for. I understand wanting to help all of them, but we unfortunately can't be everyone's savior.

Do you have the time to care for another high needs bird, while also making time for yourself? I know first-hand how real burn out is when caring for multiple animal species, children, a house... And then forgetting that I'm a person too and I also need care.

Be careful. Don't go alone, etc.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'd be worried most of all adding another large bird to your bird room with the small kids especially since Isadora and Tetok already had an incident which thankfully he was OK.
If there was a way to keep the Littles in a separate room completely away from the big birds I'd personally feel better for you to take him just because I know how devastated you'd be in something terrible happened and I don't want that for you.

But other wise if your really wanting to get this boy and your ok knowing that Isadora may lose her bond with you and choose him instead and he may end up being really defensive of her. A pissed off male Too isn't a pretty thing as @JLcribber can attest to so be careful in that regard as well for your safety as well as your child and other birds.

Please do keep us updated.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
I think Mizzly put it best . It's a lot of work having so many critters and can be overwhelming. I get overwhelmed with my zoo , especially as the years go by and it's not as easy as when we was younger .
If having another high need parrot is something you feel comfortable with a d something you want and will enjoy I support you.

Isadora is a relatively easy gal , compared to how many are , even her noise that you have shared is 1/10 th of the volume, pitch, annoyance that I have heard and been subjected too

What kind of cockatoos

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Another thing to consider is that you rent. The housing market is crap, but will you always be in the house you are in? Not even considering the landlord or pet fees, what about having to ensure you have the space in a new place to accommodate another large cage?

Does the new guy have experience being around small kids?

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Another thing to consider is that you rent. The housing market is crap, but will you always be in the house you are in? Not even considering the landlord or pet fees, what about having to ensure you have the space in a new place to accommodate another large cage?

That's a great point as well. I've struggled in every place I've lived over the years having room for just one flight cage and playstands,travel cage and toy bins.

LiveLolBrd

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Lana
I would think that if you WANT another big bird than go ahead. It's not often when someone can get a free cockatoo with a cage.
But if you really don't want to have (and care for) another big bird then just don't do it.
I don't know if that is helpful at all but it's the best I can do!

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I’m going to do separate responses so I don’t miss anybody’s reply

Questions: Do you WANT another bird? This might seem obvious but I've been offered dozens of animals that would be free or fun to have.... But when I really did some soul searching I didn't actually WANT another soul to care for. I understand wanting to help all of them, but we unfortunately can't be everyone's savior.

Do you have the time to care for another high needs bird, while also making time for yourself? I know first-hand how real burn out is when caring for multiple animal species, children, a house... And then forgetting that I'm a person too and I also need care.

Be careful. Don't go alone, etc.
do I want another bird - the simpler answer is yes, the more complicated answer is yes, but with caveat. I do want another cockatoo because I think that it would benefit Isadora. I also do know that there is a chance they won’t get along. I do have the space to house them separately at this point in time, and do you have the time and energy to devote to having to cockatoos. Ideally, if they get along, that’ll make everything easier, but I am going to hedge my bets and, try to be ready for them to not get along at all.

Do I have time for myself as well? Sometimes. But for the most part, I do thrive better when I have animals to take care of, so that is not too much of a worry.

And don’t worry, I’m definitely looking for somebody who wants to go to Pennsylvania with me. Do you wanna make a trip? :roflmao:

LiveLolBrd

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Lana
I’m going to do separate responses so I don’t miss anybody’s reply

do I want another bird - the simpler answer is yes, the more complicated answer is yes, but with caveat. I do want another cockatoo because I think that it would benefit Isadora. I also do know that there is a chance they won’t get along. I do have the space to house them separately at this point in time, and do you have the time and energy to devote to having to cockatoos. Ideally, if they get along, that’ll make everything easier, but I am going to hedge my bets and, try to be ready for them to not get along at all.

Do I have time for myself as well? Sometimes. But for the most part, I do thrive better when I have animals to take care of, so that is not too much of a worry.

And don’t worry, I’m definitely looking for somebody who wants to go to Pennsylvania with me. Do you wanna make a trip? :roflmao:
If you were me i'd go for it!

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I'd be worried most of all adding another large bird to your bird room with the small kids especially since Isadora and Tetok already had an incident which thankfully he was OK.
If there was a way to keep the Littles in a separate room completely away from the big birds I'd personally feel better for you to take him just because I know how devastated you'd be in something terrible happened and I don't want that for you.

But other wise if your really wanting to get this boy and your ok knowing that Isadora may lose her bond with you and choose him instead and he may end up being really defensive of her. A pissed off male Too isn't a pretty thing as @JLcribber can attest to so be careful in that regard as well for your safety as well as your child and other birds.

Please do keep us updated.
The situation that happened with Tteok was my own fault because I had him out while having her locked up and I stepped out of the room. So that wasn’t entirely on me, and I’ve learned my lesson since then. I should be able to keep the little ones away from the big one until I get to know him better, and by the time I get to know him better than I should have a better feel on how he will end up doing around them.

I thought about Isadora losing her bond with me, and while it would break my heart, I know that it would be ultimately to her benefit to have a bond with a species of her own kind.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)

We’re renting here until my mom moves from her house and we take over her mortgage, which will be within the next two years :)

Good question about small kids, I’ll have to ask that one. But even at this point I keep Ro far away from Isadora just in case.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I think Mizzly put it best . It's a lot of work having so many critters and can be overwhelming. I get overwhelmed with my zoo , especially as the years go by and it's not as easy as when we was younger .
If having another high need parrot is something you feel comfortable with a d something you want and will enjoy I support you.

Isadora is a relatively easy gal , compared to how many are , even her noise that you have shared is 1/10 th of the volume, pitch, annoyance that I have heard and been subjected too

What kind of cockatoos
I have gotten CRAZY lucky with her, I know. And it’s probably going to be like first kid vs second kid: First child is usually easy as heck, second child comes straight from the devil to test you. Will I enjoy it? Probably. I can’t say yes or no straight up without having a better idea of him directly.

Isadora is the perfect first kid. Which means he might be the devil second kid.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
I have gotten CRAZY lucky with her, I know. And it’s probably going to be like first kid vs second kid: First child is usually easy as heck, second child comes straight from the devil to test you. Will I enjoy it? Probably. I can’t say yes or no straight up without having a better idea of him directly.

Isadora is the perfect first kid. Which means he might be the devil second kid.
Well my first child was the devil and my second an angel but I may take that back when she hits teenage years and just say all kids are devils :rofl:

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
You know what I am going to say me and @Icey were right :rofl:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Where in PA? If near me, I would go check out for you. If you want another bird, then yes, grab this bird. If you don't, I can give you resources to give him to help him out. Don't feel pressured to take the bird, but if you want another bird, that's completely different.

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
From one mom with lots of animals to another, I would ask your kid. I know he’s young but I would still have a conversation with him. And your partner. And if they’re not both all in, as long as you live together, I would wait.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Where in PA? If near me, I would go check out for you. If you want another bird, then yes, grab this bird. If you don't, I can give you resources to give him to help him out. Don't feel pressured to take the bird, but if you want another bird, that's completely different.
This is so lovely of you

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Oh my gosh that is phenomenal of you! They’re right outside Philadelphia is that far from you?