• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Almond milk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ortegah

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
I just recently discovered this for myself and I realized tonight when I was making birdie bread that I can use this in place of milk in this recipe! I let Jellybean taste the milk out of a cup as well and he liked it :D No lactose, no dairy, no soy. Just almonds. And it's good for us too! only 40 calories for 8 ounces of it ;)

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
never heard of it before, I bet it tastes yummy

ortegah

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
I made a cake with it last night because I have a friend that can't have any dairy at all and it didn't taste any different in the cake. So I figured why not put it in the birdie bread instead of subbing out the milk for water as I usually do. It baked just fine and the birds loved it :)

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
meant to ask you - where did you find it - grocery or health food type store? Is it canned or refrigerated?

ortegah

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
I got it at Super Fresh. It's called Almond breeze and it's right in the dairy department. It's got almonds, water, vitamins and tapioca starch in it.

hotfoot jackson

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sue
Thanks for this, I've noticed it at the supermarket but hesitated getting some, now I will, we can all use it as you say.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
I got it at Super Fresh. It's called Almond breeze and it's right in the dairy department. It's got almonds, water, vitamins and tapioca starch in it.
thank you! I will look for it in the dairy dept here :)

KimKimWilliamson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
My youngest daughter faced some allergy issue early on, and we had to switch her from dairy to Goat Milk - the goat milk tasted awful, so we tried all kinds of others, Almond Milk being one of them - the kids liked this even less!! And it didnt have enough calories to be sufficient intake for a child. But I guess thats a good thing for us older women! LOL

ortegah

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
My youngest daughter faced some allergy issue early on, and we had to switch her from dairy to Goat Milk - the goat milk tasted awful, so we tried all kinds of others, Almond Milk being one of them - the kids liked this even less!! And it didnt have enough calories to be sufficient intake for a child. But I guess thats a good thing for us older women! LOL
Hmm from what I read it's one of the substitute milks that's supposed to be the better tasting ones. I don't drink straight milk anyhow but I will make protein shakes with it.

KimKimWilliamson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
Well, compared to Soy Milk, its better, but for a real Milk loveing family, we really didnt like the taste of it. But to each thier own, and I imagine it would be fine in baking rather than in a huge glass with some cookies :)
Almond Butter - now that stuff hits the spot!

Spinderella

Real Name
Chloe
meant to ask you - where did you find it - grocery or health food type store? Is it canned or refrigerated?
You can find it in refrigerated section of your normal grocery store (next to the soymilk) or you can buy the little cartons in the healthy section. Those don't need to be refrigerated until they are opened.

Almond milk ROCKS! I love Almondbreeze Vanilla. I eat it every night with Kashi cereal for dinner. :)

Spinderella

Real Name
Chloe
Well, compared to Soy Milk, its better, but for a real Milk loveing family, we really didnt like the taste of it. But to each thier own, and I imagine it would be fine in baking rather than in a huge glass with some cookies :)
Almond Butter - now that stuff hits the spot!
OMG! I think just the opposite! I can't get enough Almondmilk, but I can't stand Almond Butter. I even made "almondbutter cookies" and they tasted terrible.

Have you tried vanilla flavored almond milk? Maybe you'd like that better? I think it tastes almost exactly like soymilk, only a little bit better..

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
interesting! I would like to try it eventually but knowing me I won't like it, haha!

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Good amount of protein too. I like the chocolate kind best :D

Hay Kay

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Haylie
i LOVE Almond Milk, i LOVE Hemp milk even more tho!
PS i am so with you, me and almond butter just cant seem to merge!

Status
Not open for further replies.