• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Allergic Reaction Symptoms?

BluJay

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jay [he/him]
Hello,

My conure has started a new antibiotic. Since then he will not eat, even his favourite treats. I have been hand feeding him, which he accepts. What are the signs of allergy to medication? I couldn't find the exact seach terms for this. Could it be a minor allergy? Medicine is eythromycin. He had no issue with another macrolide azithromycin.

Thanks,
Jay

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Best advice is call your vet

BluJay

Real Name
Jay [he/him]
Just did. Got in touch with her. GI related nausea. This medication is known for it. Keep up with hand feedings. Every 3-4 hours full crop. Until GI resolves or antibiotic is finished.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Good, I was going to mention nausea. Food should help.
How many days left on it?
And antifungal?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Antibiotics often cause nausea a lot of the time so some medical practitioners will advise to feed first then medicate 30 mins or so later. It will depend on the medication itself as to whether it should be administered on an empty stomach. I would recommend calling your vet to find out what you should do- feed first or medicate first or even put the medication in the food so both hit at the same time.

Edit: I see you did get back in touch with the vet, I hope you can sort something out so your little one feels better soon.

BluJay

Real Name
Jay [he/him]
He puts up quite the fight with handfeedings, but they are all he's eating. Nystatin 100,000 IU at .3 to. 5ml as a preventive twice a day before feedings. Yes he is to have the medication on empty stomach so it absorbs. So he gets it before bed and between feedings. 1 hour empty stomach. It's a wierd medication. 10 days on medication'
<admin> reported by accident

Last edited:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
He puts up quite the fight with handfeedings, but they are all he's eating. Nystatin 100,000 IU at .3 to. 5ml as a preventive twice a day before feedings. Yes he is to have the medication on empty stomach so it absorbs. So he gets it before bed and between feedings. 1 hour empty stomach. It's a wierd medication.

<admin> reported by accident
All good.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
If you bird actually vomits with meds or it's severely nausea they may allow food with.

My gcc vomited with her meds on empty stomach so vet was ok with giving it with food. You and your vet will know what's best.

I can very much sympathize after my multiple round of antibiotics!
:eek::depressed::gag:

Sometimes the cure is so rough. But at least you know this works against the infection.

BluJay

Real Name
Jay [he/him]
That's a good idea to ask. He isn't vomiting. Just not eating on his own. Don't get me wrong but it is kinda sweet to see him with a full crop napping under his heater. He most likely hasn't had a true full crop since he was a baby bird. Yawning and making happy beak grinds. Have a recheck on Tuesday, will see if his cocci per field of view or less monoculture are evident.

I don't know how you did it pixiebeak, guess you have to do what you need to do. Vomiting in a bird is mad scary. Every second feels like a hour when it happens. Poor little ta-dah.