• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

All pellets have corn 1st ingredient, isn't too much corn bad?

SierraCaique

Checking out the neighborhood
Just as the title says.

Some more detail:
I read somewhere that corn is too starchy for birds to have every day, yet every single brand of pellets I see in the store have corn as the first ingredient. What's up with that?

My Caique has been having a lot of health problems lately (I wish I could say specifically what's wrong, right now we are thinking liver problems, the vet is not totally sure yet, we have another appointment coming up) and in the meantime I am trying to be very health-conscious for her. Putting that aside, in general is this high corn content something I should be worried about? Can anybody point me to a pellet without corn?

SierraCaique

Checking out the neighborhood
Yes, I'm in the USA. Thank you! I will probably try to hunt down a bag of that!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I feed goldenfeast Goldn'obles pellets. First three ingredients (all organic)

Quinoa, soybean and almonds. Next on the list brown rice, Apple's, cranberries .......

It is the most nutritious ingredients I have ever seen in any bird food.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
TOPS has no corn but it also isn't really a pellet. It has no vitamin D3 which is the main reason I feed pellets. They are also not backed by any vet or studies.

I personally am not concerned about corn in my pellets. It's not the same thing as dogs and cats - birds tend to do well on grains. Corn free pellets that are "complete" I know of are:

Caitec Oven Fresh Bited
Goldenfeast Gold'n Obles
Hari Alternative

Laylatoo

Jogging around the block
Mayor of the Avenue
I should add that although TOPs is Laylas favorite she also gets Harrison's fine mixed with her chop, zupreem natural with the tops and I have Hari Alternative, roudybush, caitec, and Harrison's pepper also. The only two I know she really eats are Zupreem natural and Tops though. I try all of them hoping she will take to something other than The Zupreem because I'd like to use TOPs and something other than Zupreem.