• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Air purifiers and apartment living

Ephy

Walking the driveway
Hey

Long story short, I live in an apartment.
My 2 birds have their own room. One has oil glands, the other is full of dander flakes.

I can tell when his dust dander has hit critical levels because my nose will either run like a broken faucet, sneeze uncontrollably or bleed horrendously.

I clean their paper twice daily without fail, weekly heavy duty vacuum around the cages, as well as, have a robovac that sucks up their seed daily.

I wish I could keep their windows open to let in fresh air, but with weather, temperature and disturbing neighbours i feel like I am limited as to when and how often I can open their window.

I wake very early and would love to crank their window open but I also dont want to upset my neighbours with their morning songs.

I have been looking into the rabbit air purifier, but as a Canadian, I am a little nervous to commit to them.

I need an air purifier for their room, as well as, an odour eater air filter for our bathroom that is next door to the bird room and creates alot of bad smells that come up into our apartment.
The apartment below us or even below them, seems to have the worst smells come into our apartment.
Its not even about the smell of what they are cooking, because sometimes it even smells they could be smoking in their bathroom and only seems to happen when they have certain people over, or when the weather is extreme.
For whatever (STUPID!) reason, the landlord made the decision to close off all the bathroom windows and created a full tub/shower feature before I moved in. OMG WHY!? :crycry:

Such a stupid decision. Every day I wish I could just open the bathroom window to vent out whatever nasty smell comes up from the apartment under us.

Normally, we have to keep the bathroom door closed and bathroom ceiling fan running daily.

We dont want to create issues by complaining, we are just trying to save up until we can afford a home of our own, and with how loud the birds can get, we try to fly under the radar. (We are on month to month contract)
the birds were brought to the landlords attention before we moved in, so they were aware at least that we had birds.

For the most part, I stress and try to keep their "loud moments" under some control or at least try to limkt their "loud" moments so that they dont disturb the neighbours, especially during their sleep hours.

Anyways, got off track a bit, but I really need a good air filter for their room and some kind of smell/odour eater for the bathroom. All safe for birds.

Advice?
Ideas?
Suggestions?
Thank you

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
A lot of the hepa filter air purifiers seem to have replaceable carbon filters too that are there to remove any odour. I’ve only replaced the odour filters in my purifier once as I don’t find that there’s bad smells I need to combat, I just want particle free air.

Ephy

Walking the driveway
Yeah, i think I need and odour removal purifer, as well as, an air purofier for their dander

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
@JLcribber might be able to help some..... he is in Canada and has 2 dusty 2's lol.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Any brand name Hepa air filter will work just fine. The most important thing is the size of the machine. You will be asking this machine to commercial duty so to offset that you want a machine that is rated for a much larger room than you are going to use it in. It won't work as hard. Filters will last much longer as well as the machine itself will last longer.

A machine like this will perform just as well as an expensive "Rabbit" machine for 1/4 the price. Cheaper filters too. Also has a carbon prefilter which makes the main filters last longer.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I have two running here and both have the odor absorbing pre filter too. They both handle 1000 sq ft. I am going to be adding a 3rd one soon for my master bedroom since all the dogs sleep in there at night.

These things are a must regardless if you have pets and dusty birds!