• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ahoy!

BuggysWrld

Meeting neighbors
Hi there!

New bird mom here - while I'm not perfect I strive to be every day, but even before posting the threads throughout this entire forum have been a wealth of information I've been able to draw on with the addition of Buggy, our five year old blue and gold macaw. From diet to sleep schedules and enrichment and more Bug and I have scoured the threads finding things that work, don't work, and then magically work again. But when Bug fluffs up all excited when I finally get it right (silly human that I am), man is that worth all the guess and check!

He's our first bird - the vet cracked a joke about choosing a small bird and man I wouldn't have it any other way. Bug has this big personality and somehow an even bigger capacity for love - I never thought my little soul creature would be a rainbow sky chicken! I still remember the look of heavy uncertainty on my husbands face, after he jokingly agreed to my willingness to take Buggy, and then again when we got the call "I can't keep Buggy - he's plucking and I just don't have the time for it." I know that the shock of change and the move was hard for Buggy and his little heart, but his feathers are coming back and his personality is really coming out and has become the center of our lives. Even my husband is so smitten he can't wait to get home and play games with the cutie! All of his lab work with the vet came back healthy and clean, now it's just a matter of getting our Love-Bug to love his life and bird in all the ways we can help him do that.

While it's sad how he came to us, its been such an amazing time watching him go from this shy and scared creature that tucked into itself to this larger then life feathered "heathen" who completely taken over our lives with tricks, lots of chatter, attitude WAY bigger then his little body... and we love it. We look forward to interacting with all of you directly, updating you on his progress as his feathers grow back (when the threads permit!) - when he learns to fly - and all the other things that birds do to bird in a healthy way. Your tips and tricks for ways to sneak veggies and encourage your bird to enjoy those interactions - priceless advice I use day in and out with him. Now he runs to me for stepping, looks for affection, but still tries to get a little cheeky every now and again. I can't thank all of you avian parents enough for sharing your experiences good, bad, or otherwise; I often feel less alone in my ignorance knowing others have the same questions and concerns!

So it's nice to 'officially' meet you all and thanks for all the help you've already been in our adventures together. :D

IMG_6162.jpg

WillowQ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
Bug is very pretty and looks an ingénue in his photos.

Nnbal

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Nnbal
Welcome :heart:

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
:welcomegroup: :starshower1:
I'm glad you followed your heart! What a cutie

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to Avian Avenue! 1.welcome signs.gif

Buggy is gorgeous, I'm glad his feathers are growing back in nicely :)

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
Bug is VERY handsome and sweet looking!
Just since you titled your post "AHOY" I thought I'd say I heard today is "talk like a pirate day"
So get Bug to step up and walk around saying Ahoy and ARRRRR etc. Your husband would probably like that game.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Welcome. Buggy is very handsome.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
:welcomegroup: Bug is adorable :heart2: hope you enjoy this site as much as me can’t wait for updates on bug
Hope his feathers keep growing

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to the Avenue :hiya:

BuggysWrld

Meeting neighbors
Ahhhh thanks to all of you!!! I didn’t anticipate so many responses! <3 I'm so proud of his cute little face, I can't take any credit for it but I sure will show him to anyone who has any slight amount of interest. :roflmao: I've had the pleasure of seeing little photos and posts of your loves all over these forums and all of these babies are just so so beautiful! I want one of each of them. Bug has been so much fun we've found ourselves turning into "those bird people," and considering all kinds of birds. I've seen some of my most recent infatuation floating around: the hyacinth macaw. What a gentle giant!.. in most cases of course haha!

Bug is very pretty and looks an ingénue in his photos.
He's unbelievably cheeky! Sometimes I think he really is way smarter than me. I swear sometimes he side-eyes me goin, "really lady? that's how you think I'll eat that?"

Bug is VERY handsome and sweet looking!
Just since you titled your post "AHOY" I thought I'd say I heard today is "talk like a pirate day"
So get Bug to step up and walk around saying Ahoy and ARRRRR etc. Your husband would probably like that game.
Ahhhhh close - it's mostly cuz how can i NOT feel like a pirate with a parrot on my shoulder all the time? However - he picked up on me saying rawr at him one day... I say that a lot because sometimes he shrieks like what I imagine a dinosaur would sound like. So - to replace the shrieking which is unbelieeevably loud and not really fun I would just playfully go "rawr!!!" Well, I attached rawr to "talk like a dinosaur.." once I figured out how to work with him and get him to repeat me it was game over LOL. Recently he and I have taken up singing together, I'll have to get a little video of it when he's not feeling camera shy! Super fun bonding time - and he always walks away with a special little snack!

Thank you all again for the warm welcome. We're all so excited to be here!

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome and way to jump in with both feet to the bird world!

We did the same thing, jumped in and rescued 2 blue front amazons, both DNA male and wild caught to boot. MC (my best buddy) passed away from cancer although we fought hard to keep him alive. Secret is still being persnickety but has moments now of being nice ('cause it provides her with skritches).

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Hello and welcome :hello1:

BuggysWrld

Meeting neighbors
Welcome and way to jump in with both feet to the bird world!

We did the same thing, jumped in and rescued 2 blue front amazons, both DNA male and wild caught to boot. MC (my best buddy) passed away from cancer although we fought hard to keep him alive. Secret is still being persnickety but has moments now of being nice ('cause it provides her with skritches).
First I am so so sorry for your loss. Buggy sneezes and I look at him like "do I need to weigh you again today?"... usually it's just dirt because of where we live but man does my heart drop for a second. My thoughts and affections (bugs too!) are absolutely pouring out for you - but I AM glad you have a feisty little stinker to keep you entertained. Secret's secret must be that he loves all of this attention, but for his reputation must pretend as if he is above all of the things we peasants do. Ahaha <3

Last edited:

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I have a good one for you....

Day 1 or 2 or 3 the amazons were here. I heard a noise.... ran to Secret's cage and it stopped. Later heard that noise, ran and it stopped ...... repeated numerous times. Finally determined she was cold and her beak was chattering like our teeth do.

Yeah.

Beak grinding.

Vet quit taking my calls.

BuggysWrld

Meeting neighbors
I have a good one for you....

Day 1 or 2 or 3 the amazons were here. I heard a noise.... ran to Secret's cage and it stopped. Later heard that noise, ran and it stopped ...... repeated numerous times. Finally determined she was cold and her beak was chattering like our teeth do.

Yeah.

Beak grinding.

Vet quit taking my calls.
I cant tell you just how comforting this story was... Yes - I totally did laugh but my god I'm not alone LOL <3

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I cant tell you just how comforting this story was... Yes - I totally did laugh but my god I'm not alone LOL <3
That was the point.

I picked the handle "clueless" for a reason. I can't believe I've owned feathered friends since 2012!

Since then I've bought and read tons of magazine articles (they're still here somewhere), books (hunted until I found the lady that had the performing amazons), driven to Texas and North Carolina for seminars and retreats, spent a ton of money on cages, bird toys, food, multiple vets, was an active member of a parrot club here in St. Louis, met some really awesome forum members in person and despite all of that..... still feel I know little about birds.

But I can still learn.

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Bug is beautiful. Glad to hear he's letting his feathers grow back. Macaws are amazing, silly & fun loving, so you're in for the ride of a life time.

My previous B&G Macaw "JaJaBinks" (avatar pic) liked to play what I called "the scream game". She'd start it by making a sound. Then I was to repeat it. Then she'd make another sound & again I was to repeat it. You could almost see her little mind trying to figure out new sounds as the game went on. She got so good I'd give up, because I just couldn't make all of her sounds. Sadly I lost her to kidney disease a few years ago. She was almost 22 when she passed. She came into my life at age 2, abused & neglected. Once she learned to trust me we had many great adventures.

My current B&G "JaKhu" is 3 years old & a real pistol. Got her at age 4 months. She spends a lot of time playing or laying on her back. She likes me to carry her upside down by her feet. Silly bird.