• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Aging lovebirds

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I am curious if anyone who has had, or has an older lovebird, have noticed any behaviour changes in their lovebirds as they lived through double figures.
Given the life span is approx 15-20years, I am wondering if, or when any changes may occur.

I have noticed that Aldora is a little different. She appears healthy, but her spirit is just different, it is hard to explain. Her fiestiness is just not the same as it was. She has shied from the flock it seems. She will fly off and perch on her own. Nube will always go over and see her (he's a mummys boy!), and she accepts his presence but won`t follow him when he flies. Today she spent a lot of time with me, perched on me and got very comfortable which is very unlike her. Then she bit my ear out of the blue with no warning, though maybe I missed it as she was sitting there for a while and I couldn't see her, but I wasn't moving much as to not disturb her. But even her bite wasn't a latched on bite, it was a quickie bite and no blood.

Maybe she has just settled in and is tired of being so sassy? Or do lovebirds become more docile and less sassy as they age?

I'm really interested to read what anyone has to say. Plus I believe Sydney will be hitting double figures in a few months if I'm not mistaken, so I am interested to hear about both sexes.

@fluffypoptarts @TikiMyn @Ankou @expressmailtome @Birdbabe

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
How old are they ? I am hoping she’s just settled could it maybe be change in season not sure what season you are on in Spain is breeding season over ?

I hope not as much as indie drives me crazy I would hate for her to lose her sass

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
My oldest two lived to 13 years of age each. One began "slowing down" around 9, but the other was very active until she broke her leg when she flew into a wall, and never bounced back.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
How old are they ?
Unknown. Been with me for about 7 years, and she was not a baby when she came here, she had full adult plumage, so at least another year.

is breeding season over ?
My girls have mated and laid eggs at all times of the year. Not had an egg off her in a while. I've actually had very few eggs off of all the girls since moving apartment last November.

I hope not as much as indie drives me crazy I would hate for her to lose her sass
Right. To an outsider the "sass" is problematic. But we know it is their personality. And I love the sass too... Aldora is not "tame", so she also had a lot of fire in her but she is an easy bird to be around, to avoid provoking bites. I know she hates fingers, dislikes hands, and rarely wants to land on me. I usually just leave her to do her own thing and feed her millet or veggies.

One began "slowing down" around 9, but the other was very active
I think I will try being more observant to see if I notice anything in Aldora and Sydney.

Birdie Mama

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
My Squeaky was 17 when he went. Had him since baby. I noticed the last few years or so he was a lot more happy to snuggle for long periods, yet still active and flying. The last couple of years, I think he had suffered possibly a stroke and had stopped flying and would snuggle for hours. Would also have little seizures where he would go all stiff and fall on his side, for 15-30 seconds then would be fine again. Never lost his appetite and remained chatty till the end. That was 2010 and I still miss him dearly.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Unknown. Been with me for about 7 years, and she was not a baby when she came here, she had full adult plumage, so at least another year.

My girls have mated and laid eggs at all times of the year. Not had an egg off her in a while. I've actually had very few eggs off of all the girls since moving apartment last November.

Right. To an outsider the "sass" is problematic. But we know it is their personality. And I love the sass too... Aldora is not "tame", so she also had a lot of fire in her but she is an easy bird to be around, to avoid provoking bites. I know she hates fingers, dislikes hands, and rarely wants to land on me. I usually just leave her to do her own thing and feed her millet or veggies.

I think I will try being more observant to see if I notice anything in Aldora and Sydney.
She sounds so much like indie I hope maybe she just finally accepted your her good friend

WillowQ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
I wonder if your older lovebird is perhaps painful and stiff or maybe getting cataracts and was surprised by you somehow, causing the bite?

My old parrots have seemed A LOT like senior humans. Arthritis, slowing down, cataracts, less talking and playing. Extra warmth or pain relief may restore some activity. Adaptive perches or cages can help.

I have kept two lovebirds for several years, as well as fostering a lovebird neighbor, though I don’t have one now. They are fun birds though it seems females can get hormonal or nesty and therefore develop a biting problem.

My females (both my lovies were girls) remained friendly and cuddly as they aged but did have egg laying issues. My neighbors female lovie got very territorial and mean (neighbor kept giving her a nest) and eventually passed from egg binding.

I’ve noticed old birds get grumpy, seemingly because they don’t feel well. I would offer a heated perch or block heater or platform or corner perch to give legs and feet some rest.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
So far, not an awful lot of difference, thankfully. How old is Aldora now by your best estimate? How super sweet that Nube is a mommies boy:swoon: It does sound a little sad that she is less engaged with the flock.

Xena was in double digits(I think 13) when she passed, she was not a ‘normal’ bird with her disabilities but her activity levels remained about the same through the years I had her. She was more explorative in flying with Maui but total activity was still the same.

Henkie is not the most active bird, after his metal poisoning as young bird he became less active but since then no change at now about 12. He did go through a super hormonal cycle as you now:laugh: after snapping out of that he became more cuddly, about the same as he was before becoming so hormonal. Fea is only 8 but the last year he has let me give him a kiss now and then when we play a game he likes, he will sit and ask like Henkie does. That could be his age making him a little more easy going.

Our neighbors lovie lived to 12 with cancer the last year, but she was on an all seed diet with acces to cake and such regularly so that may have made a difference. She slowed down since 9 a lot, being much more receptive to cuddles and being less active.

@Momo & Mido

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
How old is Aldora now by your best estimate?
Older than Feanor. Can't be more exact because adult lovies all look the same. She's been with me about 7 years at this point.

They are all good eaters here, pellets, veggies, admittedly not much fruit, lots of flight. She seems healthy in her movements, doesn't seem to be having any issues flying, walking, playing, bathing. Can perch well. Aldora doesn't have a platform to reduce mating/breeding. Maybe I could get her one, it has been a while since eggs after all :)

Jaime is 8, and he is going through a phase of either velcro to me, or picking fights with everyone else.

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Snerky is approximately 13 now and is still extremely feisty.

Termite is going to be 18 soon and has definitely slowed down and become more sleepy and cuddly over the years. He’s very sweet but can be a cranky little shark baby when his cuddle-naps are disturbed.

Twinkie and Fishy are going to be 13 and they do seem calmer than they used to be, more cuddly. They sleep more.

Though Snerky is still very sassy, I have noticed the sass decreasing a little in the others. They choose sleep and cuddles more often than war.

So I think Aldora’s behavior could be normal. Maybe she nipped your ear because you disturbed her sleep. Or maybe she finds it satisfying. Twinkie likes to sleep in my hand and rouse himself just to lightly pinch a finger with his beak. He then snuggles back into my hand until he wants to pinch again, very pleased with himself.