• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Aggressive male :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarenBradley

Strolling the yard
Hi everybody,

I need done advice. My male pied parrotlet Harry has gotten so aggressive

I found his mate Sally dead in the box afew weeks back, though I do NOT think he did it, she had very wraspy breathing. I noticed some blood on her feet one day and cleaned her up and put her back in with Harry I though she had caught her nail in something.
Then one day while I was out in the bird shed I noticed Sally went to go into the best box, there was a scuffle and she came out and he was latched onto her foot. I separated them immediately for awhile
And unfortunately not long after introducing them again she passed away. But they seemed happy and were preening etc.
I got Harry a new mate, Blue, she is in the picture above with Harry .Exactly the same thing has started happening again, I noticed poor blues foot to be bloody and bruised i removed her immediately and have been cleaning every day and shes fong great .I now have her in my living room with me for heat and I'm bathing her foot every day and she's getting alot better , in fact she has turned into Little pet sitting on my ginger and allowing me to rub her. In the picture you can see her bloody foot.

I know parrotlets are and aggressive breed but I keep many pairs and this has never happened before. Has anybody had this happen before? I think I shall just have to rehome Harry .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
cannot help you with any advice on this but do know to save the bird you must separate them whilst you make other arrangements. I do know other breeds pick their mates and we cannot do that for them is it the same with yours?? Some birds have their mate for life and putting in another is only fanning the flames for this kind of behaviour?

KarenBradley

Strolling the yard
Blue is in the house with me :) Harry is in a cage on his own. As far as I am aware parrotlets don't make a lifetime bond.
Thank you do much for your response :)

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
do so hope you find a solution soon. Is perhaps your aggressive bird ill at all? Just a thought.

KarenBradley

Strolling the yard
do so hope you find a solution soon. Is perhaps your aggressive bird ill at all? Just a thought.
Very interesting thought , not that I know of he looks the picture of health although birds can be very deceiving . He is eating fine and poops look ok. :(

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
separate your male bird immediately and do not allow him to have further contact with a mate..parrotlets do form a life bond but they have been known to accept ^ adapt to a different mate..however, in your bird's case..he has already killed a mate and been aggressive to another...this behavior will now not change and he will be happy on his own as long as you provide him with plenty of toys etc to play with and if he gets out of the cage time, make sure to closely supervise so he does not take this attitude out on the other birds.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
separate your male bird immediately and do not allow him to have further contact with a mate..parrotlets do form a life bond but they have been known to accept ^ adapt to a different mate..however, in your bird's case..he has already killed a mate and been aggressive to another...this behavior will now not change and he will be happy on his own as long as you provide him with plenty of toys etc to play with and if he gets out of the cage time, make sure to closely supervise so he does not take this attitude out on the other birds.
Great advice. It's well known that parrotlets "can" be aggressive little killers just like lovebirds.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
A Parrotlet can live a happy life being a soul parrotlet. His behavior may improve now that he is by himself. Sorry you lost your other one, I am a firm believer that birds can live alone as a single bird if they are fullfilled with enrichment as best as we can provide, but truly having other birds to vocalize with is actually better. My Parrotlet was a single guy for 9 yrs before the Zons started to show up and today is the cute self he has always been almost 13 yrs later. :heart:

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
Plets can be very aggressive by nature, and that's why a great many of them are kept alone. Are you trying to breed them or just keep them as pets? If you're just looking for pets then you could just keep them in separate cages? It's an awful situation to find yourself in:( I'm very sorry to hear about Sally.

KarenBradley

Strolling the yard
The male is question is not a pet and is not a hand reared bird. I only have them afew months and don't know much about them other than they were a breeding pair and apparently had breed before, but as we know we can never always believe what we are told.
I think the only option is to rehome Harry :(

KarenBradley

Strolling the yard
Plets can be very aggressive by nature, and that's why a great many of them are kept alone. Are you trying to breed them or just keep them as pets? If you're just looking for pets then you could just keep them in separate cages? It's an awful situation to find yourself in:( I'm very sorry to hear about Sally.
Thank you so much for your kind words , I was awfully upset about Sally and couldn't stop crying. I have 6 pairs of parrotlets and 2 pets who live in the house with me and I love them all so much.
I put this thread on another forum and was accused of being cruel :( my birds are always brought to the vet if there is any issue and it takes 3 hours to get there but I still do it. I hope this thread here does not make people think I am cruel I am far from it and all I want is some help.
People keep telling me to take the hen away immediately I dunno if people missed the info but I removed her immediately and she is in my home with my pet birds . I wouldn't leave her in that situation , I am an experienced breeder and I actually do really care.

Mythreeiggys

Hit the Road
Real Name
Danielle
Are you allowing them to create a bond while in separate cages or are you just putting then together in the same cage right away?

KarenBradley

Strolling the yard
I put them in ajoining cages for few weeks , so they see and hear each other
Maybe Harry's previous owners had the same problem that's why they sold him :(

Mythreeiggys

Hit the Road
Real Name
Danielle
I put them in ajoining cages for few weeks , so they see and hear each other
Maybe Harry's previous owners had the same problem that's why they sold him :(

Honestly, I would give it a lot longer then a few weeks. It can take a very long time. My Mom has a pair of Crimson Bellied Conures and they've been side by side for a few months and they still aren't anywhere close to being bonded. They tolerate each other but that's it. I would give it at least 6 months to a year and then introduce them into a NEW cage - one that neither of them have been in. That way the new cage isn't anyones territory which may cause less aggression. He still needs to be closely watched since plets can be aggressive towards their mate. Was the female you have now hand raised?

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
To be honest I'm not sure if I would try to put another hen in with Harry. It happens with other species as well, some birds are just not meant to be kept in a pair. If you're able to keep them separate and happy then that's probably the route I'd recommend

KarenBradley

Strolling the yard
To be honest I'm not sure if I would try to put another hen in with Harry. It happens with other species as well, some birds are just not meant to be kept in a pair. If you're able to keep them separate and happy then that's probably the route I'd recommend
Harry will definately not be put with another female. He has certainly made it clear he wants his own home by himself.

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
Ah, good. I misread somewhere... I'm sorry you had a bad experience on another forum, I think it's pretty apparent that you weren't being negligent or purposefully malicious =/

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
just think some birds no matter what the breed are not meant to be with any of their own. I have two Greys and a Timneh but can honestly say there does not seem to be any bond between them and if anything they try to outdo one another to get the other into trouble with me!
Leroy is forever telling them to "shut up" if they talk and as she is the Boss they do.
Do not think for one minute they would miss one another should they ever be parted. A sad but true fact, it is each one for themselves!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.