• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Aggressive Behavior help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erin1979

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Erin
My husband's GCC, Slim, has been super aggressive lately. It's probably a combination of many things ie: move, new cage, new cage mate (Midori), that time of year...
It's escalated pretty bad though recently.
We want to let him out of his cage during the day but, it's a battle just trying to get in the room while he is out.
He gets on the floor and hides either under his cage or behind the dresser and will run out and attack your feet if you walk in the room. That's not the worst of it though.
Last night my husband went in there to put them all to bed and Slim came storming out from under the cage. My husband talked to him for a moment, got a few treats out for him and reached down for him to step up. Slim stepped up just fine and then all of a sudden went berserk. He flew up towards his face and just started ripping his face up and nicked the corner of his eye. My husband had to grab the blanket that he normally uses to cover their cage and towel him.
Slim then calmed down and went easily into his cage.
It's been really rough lately.
I'm not a fan of clipping but, I think that's the first step we need to take. The only time he actually flies is when he is in attack mode anyways. His stand/toys are within hopping distance of his cage. We have ladders and ropes to help him get up/down from the tall cage and the room has been bird proofed. The clipping is pretty much decided.
What are some steps that we can take afterwards? It seems to have got worse since Slim and Midori got together but, they are in love, it's really hard to think about separating them. This has been slowly escalating for the past 5-6 months or so and we're just not sure what to do anymore.
Slim and Midori are showing some nesting behavior lately. They ripped a few toys apart and whatever wood they could find and started building one behind the dresser, but this has been going on before that. We bought them a nest box to play house in, but we never actually put it up because we figured it would just encourage it.

Help? :(:(

wonderb

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
How old is Slim? Are him and Midori a M/F pair? It definitely sounds like hormones and like he's protecting his mate.

I am not a fan of clipping either but when my GCC Rocco was going through puberty I had to clip him. He was a winged terror who could not be reasoned with! He could still fly somewhat but it helped a lot. It is better to clip IMO than to rehome or not let out of the cage.

Erin1979

Real Name
Erin
Slim is about 7 now I think, maybe even a little older. We got him nearly two years ago after finding him on Craigslist. We were told that he used to have a mate and that she was killed by a cat. Midori is a female. We don't want any mini Slims, so no intentions on letting them have babies.

wonderb

Avenue Spotlight Award
I would say that at his age, he is seeing Midori as his mate and is protecting her. I would separate them, except maybe for out of cage time. Either that or let things run their course. How much sleep do they get? I'd say they don't know that you don't want babies :p

Erin1979

Real Name
Erin
12 hours caged, 12 hours out. So maybe increase the sleep?
Their shared cage can be made into two, so I guess if I have to, we will see how that goes. It's just sad, since they love each other so much and spend most days just cuddling.
I just don't want our faces ripped off by a little green monster. Green Cheeks may be little, but those bites are major ouchies.

wonderb

Avenue Spotlight Award
Yeah there are basically two options in these cases, either separate them to get your lovely pets back, or leave them in their cage to be a pair and wait for the hormones to settle down (hopefully!). More sleep can definitely help that time come sooner. Good luck :hug8:

southernbirds

Rollerblading along the road
That is a dilema for sure. I don't know what you can do with an animal's natural instincts. Every solution has it's own consequences. You got some good suggestions here. Sometimes we just have to accept that not all birds are pet material and maybe wait until they settle down hopefully. Good luck with everything.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Once the "itch" has started you have to let it run it's course. You can't just turn the hormones off. It will pass but not until it's over.

A new mate would create a pretty strong drive.

Keeping them in separate cages and supervising out time can help but this cycle is already in motion.

If you don't want babies (which I'm glad) then they shouldn't be caged together.

Status
Not open for further replies.