• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Aggressive and anxious behavior in Blue Fronted Amazon

Kittzmew

Checking out the neighborhood
My blue fronted Amazon is around 30 years old and is a male. I got him about a year ago, my aunt knew someone who couldn’t care for the bird anymore as he belonged to their parner who had passed away. I took him in and he’s been very anxious from the beginning. He can to me in a very small cage (wayyyy too small for a bigger Amazon parrot) which was filthy and had no toys in it. He was on a cheap seed diet, which after a vet visit I switched him to fruit pellets and nutriberries. I also give him veggies, but he hasn’t shown any interest in fruit so far. I got him a bigger cage and big wooden toys that he loves to chew on. He did have some kidney enzyme issues when I got him but is now very healthy.
So far he’s been very anxious about everything, he dislikes when I put my hand in his cage or near him. He has yet to bite me but does grab my hand with his foot and puts his beak on it as if he’s telling me to back off. He also had a major dislike to males, and for some reason my mother too. He has lunged at the cage at here and even if he hears her he makes angers noises. He has slowing started to open up to my bf, as he allows him to pet him occasionally. He is very attached to me as he constantly wants me to pet his head through the cage, maybe as a way of easing his anxiety. He is quite cage aggressive and if I let him on top of his cage he will refuse to let me near him, and I have to wait until he goes back in himself. I have tried taking him into a neutral room by toweling him, which he rightfully despises, but is what my vet reccommened I do to move him out of his cage. When taken into a new room he will shake and freeze, sometimes attempting to fly away. He will step up for me if I offer him a tortilla chip which I can hold him and he will be okay, but definitely still nervous. I can’t take him out in the room with his cage as he freaks out and will fly everywhere to try to get back to it. He’s a very sweet parrot but his very cage aggressive and seems to be traumatized by his previous owners. I feed him every time before bed (8:30-9pm) and change his water 2 times a day. He also seems to have a panic attack of a sort sometimes when I cover him at night for bedtime. He will whine super loudly and face his butt up toward me and put his face into his food bowl. He will then either gag or make a throwing up movement a few times before calming down. I have to uncover him and turn a light on which seems to help calm him down. To prevent this I’ve tried coving half his cage and when he goes to sleep I cover the whole thing, which has worked like a miracle. He always seems distressed when I pick up the cover to his cage though.
Any advice on how I can help him, or what I should do? I also have a black capped conure in the same room, but they seem to be okay with each other. Thank you!

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
I've never covered my birds.

My guys were old amazons when they came here.

Slow and steady wins them over. Secret never wants to come off the cage..... so I don't let the bird get up there!

You just have to learn what they like and let them think they win...... then you BOTH win!

Secret was in a very small round cage for years before I got her. Anxiety still creeps in from time to time.

SumitaSinh

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's sweet of you to take care of him. Amazons are awesome. When I adopted Inca (orange winged amazon), my AA friends advised me to take it slow. You can sing and talk to him, read books in front of his cage etc. I hope love and care will change everything and you two will have great days ahead.

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
We want his photos, plz

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Beautiful guy.

MC was the same way. Very little blue. I miss him terribly.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I received a 35 year old Amazon that had the same kind of life before I got him. Very small cage, not ever allowed out. The owners got bitten and forever after were afraid of him. The owners may not have traumatized your bird purposefully, or ever have been cruel, but isolation and containment can do it's number on these birds. It does sound like he's cage bound, and overly anxious. Fearful of new.

I'd stop with the cover if it bothers him, I cover none of mine. It also took over a year for my small Amazon to calm down and realize life wasn't going to change again. He still had many of his old fears and anxieties, but he was slowly starting to blossom. Sadly I lost him to years of poor diet and no exercise.

My advice is to allow him do things slowly and on his own terms. 30 is an older bird, and one that is pretty set in their ways. They can and will change, but it may take years. I'd not towel unless an emergency, it may break the trust you are trying to build. Most Amazons love food, and bribery is what I'd try.

I'd also 'extend' his cage. I'd put perches and stands up to it in the hopes he'll slowly gain confidence and explore the new items, but he'll still have the security of his cage being near. You may have to accept he'll never be as calm and confident as your other bird.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
I never understood the covering thing. They don't get covered in the wild......

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
I wonder if that's why MC and I developed such a bond?

I wheeled his tree stand to his cage and out he'd come. I'd then wheel the tree stand away from his cage for a few hours. I think in the beginning I may have wheeled the tree stand BACK next to his cage. I truly can't remember.

@macawpower58

Thanks for the post.

Shame I can't try this with Secret. The bird jumps off things when flustered and I don't want her hurt. Her stand is low to the ground and she willingly rides over to it on a T perch. I can't get her off the top of the cage either. She's in love with the glass ball that holds up one of her toys!

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I wonder if that's why MC and I developed such a bond?

I wheeled his tree stand to his cage and out he'd come. I'd then wheel the tree stand away from his cage for a few hours. I think in the beginning I may have wheeled the tree stand BACK next to his cage. I truly can't remember.

@macawpower58

Thanks for the post.

Shame I can't try this with Secret. The bird jumps off things when flustered and I don't want her hurt. Her stand is low to the ground and she willingly rides over to it on a T perch. I can't get her off the top of the cage either. She's in love with the glass ball that holds up one of her toys!
Do you have photos of MC? I really would love to see him... Also, I am curious, what was his full name.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Do you have photos of MC? I really would love to see him... Also, I am curious, what was his full name.
That was his full name. I don't know if they meant it to be Emcee. There are tons of pictures on here in various threads. The final thread walking the walk I can't bear to go look for. I'm sorry.

There are threads on here about how my zons approached Jimmy Halfa

I have to post and edit.... so stay tuned

MC
http://forums.avianavenue.com/index.php?threads/one-eye.157102/

Secret
http://forums.avianavenue.com/index.php?threads/redecorating-yeah-by-the-bird.163126/
He also dearly loved toys that Sarah made. I'll see if I can find one of those threads.

Greylady1966

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Carol
We have never covered Howard. We got Billy at a different place and the woman told me he likes half of his house covered with a towel. He flips out if he can't see Howard so we leave that side open.