• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

After loss of a mate - help?

Holly Opal

Checking out the neighborhood
Last week Buttercup, one of our 2 linnies, passed away quite unexpectedly. Her mate Jasper is eating, drinking and pooping. We are opening the cage and letting him out, but that was never what he liked to do. They were a bonded pair and both hand shy, but would occasionally sit on shoulders and take kisses and scratches with your nose or cheek (weirdos I know). He's getting lots of attention and treats, but he will contact call non stop for long periods of time. It gets unbearable. I am hoping it is grief related or he is calling for Buttercup. Any suggestions (other than getting another bird)?

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
:welcomesign: to the site and so sorry for your loss :sorrow:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
So sorry his mate is gone. Linnies are true flock birds. He would be much happier with a new cage mate.

NorthernGannet

Sprinting down the street
It could go on for months! Surely it depends upon the individual, but two of mine were gotten from different people who both said they'd lost their mate months prior and wouldn't stop calling. I hope Jasper quiets down a bit as time goes on. They really can be quite loud! It's great you're giving him lots of attention. I'm sorry about Buttercup.

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Welcome to the Avenue, and sorry for your loss.
Hopefully, as time passes, Jasper will quieten down. They mourn like we do. Just be patient, and continue to give him lots of TLC :)

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome! I am sorry for your loss.

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm so sorry for your loss.

OrangIsld

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jackson
My little boy cricket recently lost a cage mate as well, it happens and its always so devastating. Though linnies are flock animals and always benefit from a cagemate, I would let some time pass for the grieving process to run its course. As long as youre watching his health, Jasper will be okay. Make sure you do lots of research on acclimating two birds together.