• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

After all this talk about pet shop birds I have to show this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Djuna

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Debbie
What is wrong with the human race :mad:

We have to join together somehow to stop this insanity.

Chicklette

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Courtney
That is DISGUSTING. I could barely watch and am in tears. People like that should be fined and shot. I never get mad easy and am a very easy going person but when it comes to animal cruelty it devastates me and the anger comes out. That video it just sick. Poor baby. I would have saved it in a heart beat. Those crys are horrible. This NEEDS to be stopped. I don't understand people like that. She should have been fined. Oh boy I wish I could have saved that poor poor baby.

southernbirds

Someone should have gone to the Mayor's office and demanded a representative go to the store. I hope this is the exception rather than the rule. I have never seen these conditions in my area in any store. You are right...the photographer is just as culpable for not doing anything. So what was the follow up and where did this take place? It's easy to identify the problem, but it is is even more important to be part of the solution.

TikiBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jessica
Southernbirds this isn't a store in the video. It is a breeding warehouse, these birds are shipped to pet stores all over the country.

They produce a huge amount of baby birds here, and there are places like this that ship out small animals to pet stores and those animals are treated basically the same. They are spayed/neutered by employees, right at the warehouse in filthy conditions.

I don't think any animal gets treated this badly once they make it to the pet store, who knows how many don't make it...

southernbirds

Totally outrageous that something so unlawful and inhumane is out there to continue to operate. Do you have any idea if the operation was closed down by authorities? It's like a concentration camp for animals the way you have described the conditions. How abhorrent! What kind of degenerates operate a place like that?

TikiBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jessica
I don't know if videos were turned in or anything. Supposedly these types of videos are taken so they can document the conditions with proof, and ultimately get places like this shut down.

I don't have any involvement and don't particularly support peta either, but it seems like with this kind of hard evidence something could be done, and I don't see why it hasn't been done. But obviously pet stores still have a large supply of birds coming in, all across the country, so I am assuming nothings been done, and I have no idea why!

gayla

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gayla
I didn't have to watch it. I knew right away which video it was. I saw this video months ago, and to this day I can't get it out of my mind. It was truley the most disturbing, heartbreaking thing. How scared must that baby have been. I still hear the babies crys.......horrible.

It's a nightmare to me, because it will pop into my head and I cry all over again, It will live with me forever.

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
The sad thing is, Angel is just one of many. If you want to stop this from happening, really the only thing to do is stop buying from the large chain stores. Even if you have the best intentions, the money is still going to these mills to be used for more breeding of birds. A large percentage of birds in rescues are from pet stores so if you want to help a petstore bird, please consider adopting from a rescue.
Oops, can't name names. I'm going to reword the following statement. I worked at an adoption program at a chain pet store and I can tell you that the "health guarantee" is a lie. None of their animals have ever been to a vet, and they do not bring them to a vet if they are sick. They move them to the back room and treat them all with some general antibiotic. They either get better, or die a slow death. These animals are never euthanized to put them out of their misery. They just let them die. I have seen it first hand. It's the same with any other large pet store. Even many small pet stores have these practices.

Last edited:

dragonlady2

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Helena
I didn't have to watch it. I knew right away which video it was. I saw this video months ago, and to this day I can't get it out of my mind. It was truley the most disturbing, heartbreaking thing. How scared must that baby have been. I still hear the babies crys.......horrible.

It's a nightmare to me, because it will pop into my head and I cry all over again, It will live with me forever.
Unfortunately, the same thing happened for me when I watched it. I am trying desperately not to remember it, as I cried myself to sleep last night. My part in ensuring this does not happen is to buy from honourable breeders, check their birds, sites etc, not buying from pet stores and informing my friends who may be interested in buying birds, where to purchase. Whoever took the video is as responsible as the breeder who did nothing to intervene. I will never support any charity or agency who uses these types of videos to get donations. The ends do not justify the means.

CityGirl

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Carol
Sorry, but I couldn't finish watching that video. As far as I am concerned the person videoing is just as cruel as that baby's keepers! To let things go to day 8 is criminal!!! It should have been reported, immediately, and that baby should have been removed. It is totally disgusting -- I am livid, right now! I wonder how many nights it will be before I can get the horrid scenes of that video, out of my head.

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Oh my god I'm just disturbed and SO upset. :( I can't stop crying. I feel bad that those poor innocent conures are no longer considered "eligible" to be in a loving home because of the corporation that produced them. I want to respect the individual bird for the bird that it is, and give a loving home to a bird in need which I think these two birds are, but to purchase from the store is to support this trade. I'm so torn :sad8:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Not to defend the person in the video in any way, but the video itself seems to have some discrepancy. When it is said that the crop is being flushed with 'water'...look at the color of what is in the syringe. It is either muddy water..or more likely formula.

If you look at their hands closely, you'll notice they are pulling the food out of the crop :(

I hate these chain breeders for major petstores :(

I think they are call;ed

RAINBOW WORLD EXOTICS
A couple years ago MSN NEWS had a PETA video on, showing RWE breeding facility...

http://www.petsmartcruelty.com/

Last edited:

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Im so upset ...how could the person filming that gave let it go on that long....story or no story. I would have grabbed that poor baby and ran with her, maybe she would still be alive....sick, just sick.:sick:

Status
Not open for further replies.