• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

African grey breeder

Birdfreak

Meeting neighbors
Hi, I’m in Canada. Looking into finding a breeder in the USA, that I can either drive to or that will ship (legit ship not just take my money). How much are CAGs in the USA?

IN CANADA they are $4500 CAD/3,282 USD

tia

bonus points for cute pics attached to your comment :)

Lee C

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lee

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
You can't just bring a parrot from the US to Canada. There's a whole complicated process. If you haven't looked into it yet, you need to.

Also I think you're going to pay at least that price in the US. There are some great rescues in Canada if you're interested in adopting.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I agree that African Greys are going for $3000-$5000 USD these days. Most breeders aren't going to work with you to get you a bird into Canada because there are strict rules and different permits required. All of that takes time, and time is money. It would be much easier and more profitable to deal with someone in the US.

Everything I've read says that they need to be in your possession for 90 days prior to import.

If you choose Bird and Yes from the drop down on this page it will tell you the rules from the US to Canada.

US website:

Export:

Import:

Birdfreak

Meeting neighbors
You can't just bring a parrot from the US to Canada. There's a whole complicated process. If you haven't looked into it yet, you need to.

Also I think you're going to pay at least that price in the US. There are some great rescues in Canada if you're interested in adopting.
Thanks for The info. There’s only one adoption place near me and they charge 500$ for the “adoption” which isn’t really an adoption. It seems it’s a rental because they want to charge you 20$ a month to have the bird for the rest of its life! And it stays in their name. But I pay the food and vet bills. It seems really odd to me. Wanted an African grey badly enough to go through the process but they do not even have any at the moment.

Last edited:

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Have you checked on Kijiji? There used to be alot in there.
There may also be breeders listed there that you can check their references and reviews...just a thought :)