• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

African Grey…

A.K

Sprinting down the street
1. good breeder.
I got Louise at 5 months from a rescue. I have a friend who has her brother. There is an adorable one at the rescue right now. Fairly quiet and sweet. I would adopt him but he has PDD and I can't expose Louise nor do I have the needed skill. There have been a few pass through a rescue in the county one over, some have been from loving homes where the owners became too old/sick or died. The rescue charged I think 700 or 900 for Louise and I was happy to pay, continue to make donations, and volunteer as health allows. In a pickle parrot shop has been a good place. I came very close to buying a bird for them (Hawkhead which i also love) but had to abandon that until I found a bird sitter willing. (of course, now I have one willing but can't find that bird!). Long way of saying finding bird care if you travel may be a necessity. If Louise cannot get reliable care, I stay home, trip would be canceled.

2. Food - I’ve heard of Harrison pellets,… What are your Grey’s favorite foods, just so I can get an idea
Louise eats Harrison's High Potency fine. She loves them and the vet recommended it. Her brother hates them and gets something else that in multicolored (that's all I know). Other foods-apparently pomegranates. Blackberries. Louise is not a messy bird-except those two items and she loves them. Apples, nectarines, plums, and pears are her favorite. Anything sweet. Veggies: few, just sweet corn on the cob, carrots, potatoes, and sweet peas in the pod. Broccoli, cauliflower, most anything green and healthy, she will pass on. Scrambled eggs, pasta, and occasionally part of a pancake or waffle are eaten quickly. She does enjoy anything I am eating and always gets some if it is bird safe. She also has a variety of treats: walnuts, Almonds (fav by far), pistachios, sunflower seed (3-4 on the day that is the treat), nutruberries, power pellets.

4. Cage. Cages are pretty important… I’d like a good quality, roomy one. Any recommendations for brands? I've had several.
A&E- powder coated was great and the company was super to work with. Stainless steel proved hard to clean. She is currently in an avian adventures and also has an avian adventures play stand which are great also. She also has a java wood play stand. Suggest being careful with bargain brands-they seem to have bad reviews-have sharp spots, ill fitting, not as advertised.... that kind of thing. I've heard some say cages are hard to get now because of shipping and all things related to covid. A quick check of the Bird Cages Now site shows many out of stock. Starting with a used cage until you figure what the bird prefers and what works in your home before buying may also be a way to go.
I also have a Kings Cage, aluminum. Great travel cage. I have a larger but still small Kings Cage for visitors (her brother). Lightweight. I do find them harder to clean than powder coated. There isn't a cage that is too big-only bar spacing that is too big. You, nor your bird, will regret getting the biggest possible. Louise prefers the playtop type cage and it keeps poop from dropping down. JMO.
I use F-10 as a cage cleaner, very bird safe.

5. Toys! African Grey have a reputation for destroying toys!
oh yes! I am not sure about brands. I buy all sorts of good things for vendors on this site-all are reputable bird lovers. Her favorites come from Seriously Nutz. I try to mix all kinds of wood, balsa, soft pine, hard pine. There are times she loves the hard wood and times she loves softer wood. She LOVES bells, anything that can crash together and make noise. She has one she rings when she is ready for bed and wants me to turn out the lights. I also put some things just for bright colors, mostly the larger shaped plastic chain type things. You can buy parts and pre-cut wood and make your own and it can be cheaper. I buy BULK because Louise and Grady (brother) goes through many quickly-and I make them for the rescue. HMMMM, spring sidewalk sales should be coming up on this site-anyone know when?

6. Name! If you’ve looked at the website in ‘1.’ Then you’ll know that these breeders name their parrots. Is it cruel to change the parrots name? I love the name Luna, for a girl, and Ollie or Ash, for a boy. I don’t really like the names these breeders have given, but I can live with it.
I wouldn't change an older birds name but that is just me. Louise didn't have a name.

7. Vets. I know there’re special Avian Vets. I’m wondering about checkups. Like cats and dogs, do CAGs need checkups with a vet? Vet can get expensive. Louise goes to a well known traveling vet every 6 months for nails, beak, and check up. If she had something unexpected, he can sometimes help from where ever he is but I do have 3 avian vets near and would go to them if she has a health issue. (knock knocking on wood-she has been very healthy)

I wasn't looking for an African Grey, I thought they were plain. I am glad I went with a Grey, has been perfect for me and I try to provide a good home for her. I no longer think of CAGs as plain, they wear a beautiful set of armor made of feathers. I also know she will outlive me so certain words are banned as it seems a bit harder to place a bird that swears. Given how long she will live, I know I am preparing her for her next home and will probably go to a great rescue to help find that home. If you haven't had a bird, many things are a danger that are suprising: telflon pans or any telfon cooking item (toaster, toaster oven, crock pot), onions, avacodos, ceiling fans, broke screens, many fumes (floor cleaners, bathroom cleaners...), odor from candles and essential oils. This site has a very good safety forum.
Good luck with your search. They are lovely birds for sure!
Wow wow wow. Thank you SOO much! So much info!

Pat H

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Pat
@A.K ... I've been told my ENTIRE life... that NO QUESTION is TOO STUPID or UNWANTED...
Some Q will be resolved naturally, with experience. I am impressed and thankful that you have taken the effort to ask... EVEN THINK of the potential issue.. 'kudos' for that!
Looking forward to your actual experience w/ an AG... [don't dwell on the age limitations you've apparently given yourself].. Birds are SO INDIVIDUAL... Who knows what/ who will come across your path! Keep your eyes open and be prepared! ;)

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
To continue... @A.K. ... we were told our 'about-to- be' new addition, Umbrella Cockatoo, Abby, was only about 13x year old... Well, she's 47... Would NOT have made any difference to us... She's our BABY! NEVER to leave our hearts! Our home.
'

A.K

@A.K ... I've been told my ENTIRE life... that NO QUESTION is TOO STUPID or UNWANTED...
Some Q will be resolved naturally, with experience. I am impressed and thankful that you have taken the effort to ask... EVEN THINK of the potential issue.. 'kudos' for that!
Looking forward to your actual experience w/ an AG... [don't dwell on the age limitations you've apparently given yourself].. Birds are SO INDIVIDUAL... Who knows what/ who will come across your path! Keep your eyes open and be prepared! ;)
Thought I might give an update on my ‘quest.’ I’m in Pakistan temporarily, and in 2 months, Ohio I go. It’s been confirmed. I’ll be buying my birdie early next year from Ohio!

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
@A.K.-- Oh my!!! So hard for me to plan such an important decision... that far ahead! Probably why I never instituted a plan for my life... :banghead:
ps-- SO HAPPY FOR YOU!

A.K

@A.K.-- Oh my!!! So hard for me to plan such an important decision... that far ahead! Probably why I never instituted a plan for my life... :banghead:
Heh, it’s the anxiety. I gotta plan everything ahead to calm me. Heck, my conversations are planned for the week :lol:

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
I SURE DON'T consider that a DETRIMENT!!! You are actually part of the [probably] 10% that ACTUALLY PLAN AHEAD! :roflmao:

• Haha
Reactions: A.K