• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

African Grey…

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
There are a group of chemicals called PFAS. PFTE and PFOA are particularly common in non-stick materials. Teflon itself is a brand name registered to a particular company, but any pan that is non-stick and which doesn't specify that it does not contain PTFE and PFOA can be assumed to contain these chemicals. They off-gas harmful substances at high temperatures: however, it's worth noting that a) the claimed temperature range is inexact and b) the claimed temperature range at which this happens encompasses temperatures at which you might cook or bake at.

Other equipment may contain PFAS such as baking sheets and trays, non-stick oven liners, toasters, roasting trays, waffle makers, toaster ovens and even hair dryers. In some cases you'll need to contact the manufacturer to confirm whether the product contains PFAS.

As far as I know, there is no cure for a bird that has been exposed. Exposure to high levels can cause death very rapidly, but I'd assume that even lower levels will compromise the bird's respiratory system.

Cooking equipment that is safe includes ceramic (that specifies that it is free of PTFE and PFOA), uncoated stainless steel, enamelled cast iron and seasoned cast iron. Most people replace their cooking equipment with a safe alternative - it's just not worth the risk.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
So I guess there is some safe non-stick?! That's interesting, but I'd not take the chance, personally.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So I guess there is some safe non-stick?! That's interesting, but I'd not take the chance, personally.
I guess if you're using PFAS-coated equipment exclusively at room temperature or below and don't ever heat it, it would be okay. Problems arise when it's heated but as I said, there isn't good information about the temperature range at which this happens. I've seen some ranges start as low as 230 C/450 F which is nothing - I set my oven to 245 C for baking sourdough so definitely can't have anything non-stick in there. We're also pretty bad at estimating how hot our frying pans get - they can easily get to these temperatures if you're searing meat. Sometimes accidents happen and we let a pan get too hot, and that can easily put it in the danger zone.

If you use a non-stick tray to spread things out on for freezing and only that, then I doubt it would be a problem. I just don't trust anyone in my household - or indeed myself - not to grab the wrong tray and put it in the oven.

A.K

Sprinting down the street
There are a group of chemicals called PFAS. PFTE and PFOA are particularly common in non-stick materials. Teflon itself is a brand name registered to a particular company, but any pan that is non-stick and which doesn't specify that it does not contain PTFE and PFOA can be assumed to contain these chemicals. They off-gas harmful substances at high temperatures: however, it's worth noting that a) the claimed temperature range is inexact and b) the claimed temperature range at which this happens encompasses temperatures at which you might cook or bake at.

Other equipment may contain PFAS such as baking sheets and trays, non-stick oven liners, toasters, roasting trays, waffle makers, toaster ovens and even hair dryers. In some cases you'll need to contact the manufacturer to confirm whether the product contains PFAS.

As far as I know, there is no cure for a bird that has been exposed. Exposure to high levels can cause death very rapidly, but I'd assume that even lower levels will compromise the bird's respiratory system.

Cooking equipment that is safe includes ceramic (that specifies that it is free of PTFE and PFOA), uncoated stainless steel, enamelled cast iron and seasoned cast iron. Most people replace their cooking equipment with a safe alternative - it's just not worth the risk.
Thanks… I’m definitely making sure I’m only getting non-stick cooking equipment when I settle down… Seeing as there are no parrots with me right now, I’m keeping these pots till I move.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
There is no cure, but birds that have inhaled very little fumes will sometimes survive. Mostly it'd the case of a bird dying almost immediately.

A.K

Okay wow, I am so embarrassed, but I had another question… Hope you guys can understand. I really want my Grey to be happy and healthy… PBFD. Is a parrot born with this? I know how contagious it is, so is contracting it the only way to get it? Is it possible to develop it? Kind of like cancer? Is it safe to take a parrot outside, or is close contact needed to get it? Is taking the parrot to the vet safe? I mean, tons of germs there! I’ve read quite a few articles on it, but I didn’t really understand anything. Thanks for bearing with me while I bombard you with questions… Hopefully this is my last one…

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Here is information on PBFD. It's from the LaFeber site which is very reliable. They think that the virus can be transmitted from the hen to it's eggs. It is caused by a virus, so cannot be "developed".

https://lafeber.com/vet/wp-content/uploads/PBFD_Klaphake.pdf

Veterinarians
take all sorts of precautions to keep their client's birds safe. I have never heard of a bird catching anything at a vet's office.

A.K

Here is information on PBFD. It's from the LaFeber site which is very reliable. They think that the virus can be transmitted from the hen to it's eggs. It is caused by a virus, so cannot be "developed".

https://lafeber.com/vet/wp-content/uploads/PBFD_Klaphake.pdf
Veterinarians
take all sorts of precautions to keep their client's birds safe. I have never heard of a bird catching anything at a vet's office.
Thanks for the info. I can’t seem to open the link you’ve given me - it says the page cannot be found.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
If I took my bird outside I would be more concerned about the bird getting away from me.

A.K

Omg. I am SO SO SO SO sorry!!! Another question… I am actually going red right now. I planned to keep my Grey in my room. I spend quite some time there, but I read that keeping in the lounge would be better. I’d hate if my parrot bonded with someone else, and the rest of my family chills in the lounge a lot. Also, I occasionally eat there, whereas food doesn’t touch my room. I know how poisonous avacado can be, and yes, I eat it, but only in the kitchen, which is off-limit regardless. Where should I keep my CAG’s cage? Also, is it wrong to confine it to one room? I do plan to harness train it, but if that doesn’t work then I’ll take the cage outside. Otherwise, it’ll stay in one room, is that kinda cruel? Would the lounge be better because more people gather there?

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I vote for the lounge for extra stimulation.

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Lounge. Greys need a lot of stimulation. Parrots will also favor whomever they want regardless of where you house them or how much time you spend with them.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Remember AG's need new things and new experiences to be social birds. Keeping them in a room with only you will create a one person bird.

A.K

Lounge. Greys need a lot of stimulation. Parrots will also favor whomever they want regardless of where you house them or how much time you spend with them.
Wait so if I spend time with the bird, the person who spends most of the time - it may still favour someone else?