• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

afraid of human contact

Status
Not open for further replies.

musskulls

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jessica
Hello everyone. I just received a 12 year senegal parrot about a week ago. He came from a neglectful owner, and seems to be adjusting to his new home well. He will accept treats from you and let you scratch his head through the cage bars. He will even accept treats from me when my hand is in the cage. However, when I approach him to step up, he always will either bite me or fly away. So far my only answer seems to be to target train him, but I was wondering if there may be another solution. I just want him to trust me and know that I won't hurt him.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
Welcome to the board!! well I have no experience with larger parrots but the concept is the same...you need to go slow...a week is such a short time in a parrot's life..their concept of time is totally different than ours.. just keep doing what you are doing...go slow..I think it is incredible progress that y ou can feed him treats from your hand and t hat he is coming out of the cage at all....go slow...approach him slowly but with confidence..talk in low tones no sha rp, sudden movements...open the cage door...put treats on top...getting him to come out of the cage on his own is your first step...it will take a while but eventually he will adapt....also you aren't reacting to the bites I hope..NO REACTION PLEASE..by reacting in any way you let him know that the bites are accomplishing his pur pose...also you might try stick training him...try putting a wooden perch in the cage and see if he will step onto that..then praise him up and slowly bring it out with him on it...good luck..and remember, pa tience is the key here...

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
All true relationships are based on trust and respect. That takes time and proper behavior on your part. There is no shortcut. You must "earn" that trust and it is a slow process, especially with a bird that doesn't have a great history and has had it's trust broken. As Anne said "SLOW" is the name of the game. Never force the bird to do anything. Offer them choice and respect whatever choice they make.

In order to gain a birds trust you must come across as another non-aggressive bird. That means acting like a bird and communicating on their level with proper body language and the way you behave. Nothing will happen in one week. This can and most likely will take months. The bird has a lot of baggage to unload first.

-----> http://forums.avianavenue.com/training-court/815-connecting-communicating-your-highly-intelligent-parrot.html

musskulls

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jessica
UPDATE: We just had our first target training session and I think it went great! Kiwi becomes panicked whenever he sees me holding a perch (I have no idea why) but he's finally clicker conditioned and I figured it was time to move on to the next step. so I wasn't sure how he would feel about the target stick, so I just fed him treats while I held the target stick ( a chopstick). He even touched it!

Status
Not open for further replies.