• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Advise about adoption

Status
Not open for further replies.

daria

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Daria Feinstein
I've posted many threads about Miami's wild (feral) macaw flock (see the u tube video) and am very knowledgeable about macaws (I"ve owned 5 for16 yrs). But my daughter the vet asked me my opinion on facilitating adoption of a moluccan cockatoo. Her friend is giving up her female because she now has a baby (how can people be so cruel). Lisa, my daughter, gave a male moluccan to her neighbor 3 years ago. She has felt very guilty about this as her neighbor takes excellent physical care of the bird but keeps it outside (large aviary) and pays zippo attention to the bird. My daughter feels this male moluccan will have a better life with a female for companionship and both birds will be better off. What do you experienced owners think ?

WenM

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Wendy
So she is suggesting sending another bird to be taken care of by this person who cares for but ignores the first one? If this is the case, I would think twice enrichment is necessary. There is no guarantee that the male will want to have that particular female in the aviary with him and he may even cause her injury or vice versa. Just my opinion.

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Is your daughter thinking about taking the bird back? Or do you mean the bird will stay where it is but your daughter would add a female to it? Either way, adding a female to an established male can be very dangerous. There is no guarantee that they will get along. Large Toos are known for killing their mates. Introduction would have to be slow, with cages next to eachother for a while. Actual physical intoroduction must take place in a neutral zone, under close constant supervision. It can be dangerous. It is definitely not impossible. It is a shame that this poor bird has been placed away from human contact and by it's self. As we all know birds are flock survivors and I'm sure he is very lonely.

daria

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Daria Feinstein
My daughter , the vet, was just trying to find a good home for a client's bird who no longer wanted the moluccan. Unfortunately, the neighbor turned out to be an absentee owner . I'll pass your info on to her. Obviously this neighbor isn't going to spend the time for a proper introduction. Maybe , this might present an opportunity for my daughter to get the male back with the idea of "trying" the male in a foster situation.

Chewy

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Erin
I hope your daughter can get the bird back. They need attention love and enrichment. I am not a expert but as much as I want a aviary, I would still be out there almsot every waking moment to be with my baby.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I agree with Wendy and Judy 100%.

I hope your daughter can get him back and place him in a true foster home.

Kathie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
My daughter feels this male moluccan will have a better life with a female for companionship and both birds will be better off. What do you experienced owners think ?
I would be very careful putting a female in with the male. Oftentimes, even if they bond, the male may kill the female if he decides he wants to mate and she doesn't.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
On that cockatoo sanctuary website, there are many "killer toos" :( Ones that have killed their cage mates.

I hope both Toos now or eventually end up with wonderful homes that have lots of happiness, love and peace.

M

M.C Bird Rescue

AWWW Good Luck Daria. I hope everything works out .

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I think your daughter should take the M2 back from the neighbors...

Status
Not open for further replies.