• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Advice/ Opinions on Me Getting a LoveBird?

briannamonet

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brianna
Hey all! I'm Brianna and I am new here.
So me and my brother used to have two parakeets. Unfortunately they died right before we moved to Georgia. That was about three years ago. My brother really wants another bird and I was thinking about getting a lovebird. I did a little reading up on them and they seems really cute. Do you guys have any opinions or advice on it ?

RJ Noodle

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Zetra
Welcome to AA. Sorry, I have no experience with love birds but lots of folks do here. Read, read, read on this board. Go to the lovebird section and you will learn a lot!

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
I would try to find a male, as the females are notoriously very bitey. Not saying all are, but they are few and far between from my experience working at an avian clinic. I had the sweetest hand raised baby when I was a kid, but she turned into the devil when her hormones hit and we couldn't handle her anymore. It was heartbreaking.

RJ Noodle

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Zetra
Oops, just realized this IS in the lovie section :wacky:

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome i am sorry i have no advice to give

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
It would be nice to know a little more about you guys. What are your plans for caring for this bird? Do you have a (large) place/area/cage where these birds will live? Do you have the time and commitment to give to these birds "every day" for years to come? The reason I ask these things is because no matter what kind of bird you get, the bird you ultimately end up with and how it behaves has more to do with what you guys are going to put into this commitment and your obviously very young.

If the bird needs vet care (which is expensive) do you have the resources to provide that? Are your parents willing to provide this if you can't? How did the other 2 birds die?

Last edited:

briannamonet

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brianna
It would be nice to know a little more about you guys. What are your plans for caring for this bird? Do you have a (large) place/area/cage where these birds will live? Do you have the time and commitment to give to these birds "every day" for years to come? The reason I ask these things is because no matter what kind of bird you get, the bird you ultimately end up with and how it behaves has more to do with what you guys are going to put into this commitment and your obviously very young.

If the bird needs vet care (which is expensive) do you have the resources to provide that? Are your parents willing to provide this if you can't? How did the other 2 birds die?

Well, I'm 18 and my brother is 15. The bird would be my responsibility financially, but a shared responsibility care-wise. Although honestly, he (my brother) is a little childish and 'loses interest' quickly, which is what he did with our dog. I definitely want a bird more than him though, so I have no problem taking full responsibility...as I do with my dog. my family loves our pets, but hates the dirty work-which is where I come in :D. I work at a vet office part time. and I get discounts so that's no problem. I'm in college, but 95% of my classes are online so I am home pretty much all day (except for the few hours I work on weekends- I'm home by 2 the latest). I have no problem taking care of the birds for their entire lifespan. And of course I have commitment.
We arent sure how the parakeets died. They had a HUGE cage. Big enough for one of the smaller type parrots. Cuttle bones, things to prevent mites, a balanced diet, supplements we added to their water, etc. They weren't losing weight or anything. They were happy and talkative. One day we woke up and saw the female dead. And the next day her brother died. No warning or anything.

Last edited:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
Well, I'm 18 and my brother is 15. The bird would be my responsibility financially, but a shared responsibility care-wise. Although honestly, he (my brother) is a little childish and 'loses interest' quickly, which is what he did with our dog. I definitely want a bird more than him though, so I have no problem taking full responsibility...as I do with my dog. my family loves our pets, but hates the dirty work-which is where I come in :D. I work at a vet office part time. and I get discounts so that's no problem. I'm in college, but 95% of my classes are online so I am home pretty much all day (except for the few hours I work on weekends- I'm home by 2 the latest). I have no problem taking care of the birds for their entire lifespan. And of course I have commitment.
We arent sure how the parakeets died. They had a HUGE cage. Big enough for one of the smaller type parrots. Cuttle bones, things to prevent mites, a balanced diet, supplements we added to their water, etc. They weren't losing weight or anything. They were happy and talkative. One day we woke up and saw the female dead. And the next day her brother died. No warning or anything.
the mite protectors probably killed them...they should be outlawed and NEVER EVER put in with birds..they are pure poison.

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
Good for you for doing your research before getting a new bird. I love to see that :)

We have several lovebird owners on the forum, but perhaps you can help us help you by telling us what specific questions you have?

As for your budgies, I'm sorry to hear that. Like some people mentioned above, mite protectors are deadly and poisonous. Also, it is generally not recommended to put supplements in their water unless you are trying to treat a specific problem or directed to do so by a vet.

Welcome to the Avenue and I am sure you will find our members to be very knowledgeable and helpful!

briannamonet

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brianna
the mite protectors probably killed them...they should be outlawed and NEVER EVER put in with birds..they are pure poison.
Oh my goodness! I never knew!! All the information we got was from a parakeet book. I must have read that thing cover to cover twenty times. Now I know. We didn't keep it on long though. Mainly because the birds were right next to us in the living room and we could smell it. We thought that if we could smell it so easily it surely shouldn't be there for the birds to have to smell 24/7. We took it off within three days. I guess the damage was already done :(

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
Oh my goodness! I never knew!! All the information we got was from a parakeet book. I must have read that thing cover to cover twenty times. Now I know. We didn't keep it on long though. Mainly because the birds were right next to us in the living room and we could smell it. We thought that if we could smell it so easily it surely shouldn't be there for the birds to have to smell 24/7. We took it off within three days. I guess the damage was already done :(
I also have a newer version of a tiel book that says no to them and an older version that says they are ok. I think you will find that most of those old books were printed with no real thought involved and just to make a sale. They also recommended grit or gravel which is also a big no no..it causes crop impaction and bowel problems.

Purdysboy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Joseph
I raise lovebirds, both Peachfaced and Fischers. They are fabulous birds to have as pets, very spunky and endlessly curious, mine love to hang out with my all the time!! :) I have 13 lovies currently and I haven't noticed a difference in males or females being better pets, both are great, one of my females actually talks! :heart: :heart: They are definitely a big parrot in a little body.

BindiWW

Walking the driveway
I would try to find a male, as the females are notoriously very bitey. Not saying all are, but they are few and far between from my experience working at an avian clinic. I had the sweetest hand raised baby when I was a kid, but she turned into the devil when her hormones hit and we couldn't handle her anymore. It was heartbreaking.
Some females might be like that, but my brother has a female lovebird that's really sweet.

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
Some females might be like that, but my brother has a female lovebird that's really sweet.
that's awesome. again, I wasn't trying to say that they all are that way, but 80% of the ones I met working at the clinic were, from what their owners said. My avian vet said the same thing from what he's seen. maybe it's a NC lovebird thing, lol.