• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

advice on transferring to a new cage

datlamb

Sprinting down the street
in my bird room i have a big cage for Happy, and the smaller cage Grishka came with.

Grishka's cage is old and unsafe and i'd prefer it if he used Happy's cage, but he is very attached to his old cage. he plays in it and sleeps in it even though he has access to the bigger cage 24/7.

if he interacts with the big cage it's from the outside, playing with the toys and eating from the food dishes hanging from outside the cage. i never saw him go inside.

how should i go about transferring him?

thanks!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I am a cage transfer failure. I too bought my cockatiel a bigger cage and he wanted nothing to do with it. I finally gave up and let him stay in his old cage. That said, have you tried just putting him in it? Put in some millet and/or a favorite toy. Have him stay in it for just a little bit. Then maybe keep doing it but increasing the length of time?

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
Keep the cages next to each other. As @sunnysmom suggested - put in some millet or other favorite treats. He may go in it at some time. I also had a cage failure transfer with one of my tiels years ago. I bought her a larger cage but she preferred her small one.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Can you.... put the smaller cage into a bigger cage and either leave the door open or the top off of the smaller cage?