• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Advice about foot sprain

SD1030

Strolling the yard
My cockatiel sprained his left foot 6 months ago, and he was prescribed Metacam to help with inflammation. Anyway, he keeps reaggravating and re-spraining that same foot. He’s very active and loves to climb, etc, as they all do.

I’ve padded everything down. I’ve also made all perches wider so it’s easier to grasp for him. I’ve taken out all ladders both inside and outside the cage. But he just starts climbing the side of the cage or even furniture. He is relentless. Any advice?

Currently, he sleeps on a perch that I’ve wrapped with a soft cloth to make it easier to perch in while he sleeps. Is that okay? Or should I get a flat perch?

I’ve read that some people have kept their birds in aquarium type enclosures while they heal, but my bird will absolutely go crazy and I fear he will try flapping around to get out and hurt himself even more in the process.

Any advice, please?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Did the veterinarian put a sort of cast on the limb? When one of my birds sprained their ankle many years ago, my veterinarian did as she said that it is very difficult to keep a bird from moving the limb too much to allow it to properly heal fully.