• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Adopting Breeder Birds As Pets - Pros & Cons

Blancaej

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Blanca
I found a pair of breeder birds up for adoption. They are IRN's. Has anyone adopted breeder pairs as pets? What are the pros and cons.

I am thinking they may not be friendly as they are heavily bonded. I would love to save them from a life of breeding. They are 3 and 4 years old. But I don't want to get in over my head on this one.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Joseph012

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
There is no reason to believe these birds need to be "saved from a life of breeding". They will not be friendly, and never be pets. They might calm down around you, but you should never expect them to be pet quality.

Blancaej

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Blanca
Good point. Thank you!

I'm not saying anything bad about breeding in general. These birds are on craigslist and the conditions don't look great. Just want to consider it as to give the birds a new life. Probably unrealistic that they can be companion pets, but wanted to ask.

Last edited:

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
There is no reason they cannot be companion pets. Companionship is what we make of it. If you enjoy watching them and caring for them, they would make wonderful companions. If you want a cuddly, hands-on bird then they may not be. I certainly would adopt a breeder pair, get them healthy and work with them to see. I think a life in a pet home enjoying toys and care while having each other is much better than being in a breeder cage with no other stimulation.

MyAussieFriends

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alyssa
There is no reason to believe these birds need to be "saved from a life of breeding". They will not be friendly, and never be pets. They might calm down around you, but you should never expect them to be pet quality.
I think it depends on the individual birds personalities and backgrounds.

Greycloud

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
At 3 yrs old they are definitely breeding age. Females usually run the show and control the male. If she changed her mind about him she will attack him. At this age you could separate them however, being bonded and happy it would be best to leave them together. You may run the risk of them breeding in the future though. Indian ringnecks tend to be one species that if not hand tamed early can be pretty difficult to bring around to be hand friendly later, especially if they are bonded to another bird.
So if you are happy just watching them in a cage and loving them from a distance then go for it. Remember though that you cannot stop them from breeding unless you separate them. .

CheekyBeaks

Real Name
Ann-Marie
Having experience with both pet and breeding IRNs I think you need to meet these birds and see how they are to interact with. If they are interested in you then you have a chance of forming a relationship with them if however they are flighty and nervous and aren't interested in interacting with you it is far less likely they will bond to a person and to be honest are probably better off in an aviary or breeding situation.
IRNs are one of those tricky species that in my experience I find are far better off with their own kind especially if they have been kept as breeders in the past.
If you are happy to take them on without the chance of ever forming a companion/pet relationship then I would say go for it

Blancaej

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Blanca
Thank you both for the great advice! They are 2 hours away, if I don't get a good sense from the owners about them I may not make the trek. But we will see how the corresoodence goes ang go from there. Lots to think about!

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
There is no reason they cannot be companion pets. Companionship is what we make of it. If you enjoy watching them and caring for them, they would make wonderful companions. If you want a cuddly, hands-on bird then they may not be. I certainly would adopt a breeder pair, get them healthy and work with them to see. I think a life in a pet home enjoying toys and care while having each other is much better than being in a breeder cage with no other stimulation.
I feel exactly the same way.

CheekyBeaks

Real Name
Ann-Marie
I think a life in a pet home enjoying toys and care while having each other is much better than being in a breeder cage with no other stimulation.
What makes you think that breeding birds don't get enrichment in their lives like pets do?
Most breeders I know myself included provide enrichment as part of our breeding birds lives, in fact it is considered just as beneficial to their breeding success than a suitable environment and diet. In many ways I think a lot of breeding birds who live with owners who allow them to live in an aviary with their own kind and provided with enrichment and a good diet are possibly living a much more stable and enriched life than most pets.

InTheAir

Real Name
Claire
Another thing to consider, most unhandled indian ringnecks are not what you could describe as very restrained vocally. They do make calls that may be considered a wee bit ear splitting.
Breeder birds that are not pleased to see you can be quite vocal about it and just vocal in general. I've been to visit a few irn breeders.
I have an aviary raised hen that I got at 3 months old and even her volume while learning to talk is quite intense (possibly I am a bit slack about encouraging less volume too, I just get excited and cheer her on).

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Wishing you luck.

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
What makes you think that breeding birds don't get enrichment in their lives like pets do?
Most breeders I know myself included provide enrichment as part of our breeding birds lives, in fact it is considered just as beneficial to their breeding success than a suitable environment and diet. In many ways I think a lot of breeding birds who live with owners who allow them to live in an aviary with their own kind and provided with enrichment and a good diet are possibly living a much more stable and enriched life than most pets.
I am assuming based on the statement of conditions that they are not fortunate enough to live with higher quality breeders that care about enriching their lives.

mjones

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Melody
I have a rescued breeder bird. His mate of 10 years disappeared (long story) from their outdoor aviary a few years ago. They were an unsuccessful breeding pair of blue crown conures and we're given to me. When the female disappeared we brought him inside. His cage is next to Tinkerbell's. They are friends or I guess neighbors but not bonded. Tink is totally bonded to my oldest daughter. I think they enjoy each others company but Tink really doesn't care about Jasper. He has been inside for a few years now and I think he is finally starting to come out of his shell. I didn't really expect him to be a pet. He is scared of hands. However if he has to be toweled to go for a check up at the vet or something he has never bitten or gotten ugly with anyone. In some ways he is easier to handle than Tink. ;) Their cages are in the sunroom. He calls for her most of the time when she is with us. I have started getting him out of the cage and letting him sit with Tink on her playstand. She seems to tolerate him and he seems to really enjoy being out with her. :lol: He has started bathing too! I have always had to spritz him but lately he will bath if we are all together as a flock. So good can come of it but we have had him since 2008 and its just over this summer that he has started doing this. He is older too. He is about 14 whereas Tink is 4. So I say if you can help some breeders have a better life go for it and if on their terms they warm up to you, what a bonus that would be! Totally worth it either way :heart:

Last edited:

Gypsy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Denise
I think it depends on your expectations as to what you want from them as pets. If they want nothing from you interaction wise, can you accept that? Also, if they are only 3 the birds may not have been together very long so maybe you may be able to interact with either at some point. To purchase them out of pity may deny them the opportunity of another buyer putting them in an environment they are accustomed. Call the seller and learn more if truly interested.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
This isnt true.

The can indeed be pets. And eventually be very friendly. But ofcourse it shouldnt be expected of them.

I think its nice of people who want to take breeders out of a breeding situation and provide a great pet-type life for them (out of cage time, more freedom, etc). Most breeders are caged bound and dont live a full filling life like most pets do.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Mercedez I agree with you 100%