• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Adopting a pineapple green cheek

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenni77

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jenni
Hi everyone. Happy 4th of July! I'm new here, my name is Jenni. I had a love for birds since I was child, and had owned parakeets. After my last one passed my sophomore year of high school, I never got more. I had Doves for awhile. I know a parrot is a new journey, but one that I am ready to take. I saw a sun conure in the pet store and he was so sweet. I wanted him! But, I knew not to go on a gut reaction. So, I came home and researched birds and decided on a green cheek. Then I saw all the colors they came in! So, I really wanted a pineapple. I wanted a bird that was not super loud all the time, could learn to talk and was cuddly. By chance Mystics Mom stumbled upon an add I had posted. I went yesterday and met the beautiful bird that I am calling "Bella" I'm pretty positive that she is the one I want. I plan this week to get everything ready for her. I believe I have found a good starter cage and am going to buy it and get it all cleaned up for her. My daughter is ready to go to the dollar store and start making her toys. So, if anyone could tell me where to look on the forum to find out how to make toys, that would be great! I'm going to take a trip this week to the supply store and get her things from the list I have started to make. Any info, would be greatly appreciated! I probably don't want to buy the most expensive food, but also not the cheapest, so the brands somewhere in between would be helpful! As I said, ANY info would be great!

Thanks all,
Bella's future Mom~Jen:heart:

carkam

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Hello and Welcome! Find out what Tanya has him on as far as food and that should work. With toys Well mine is a stinker and doesn't play with toys much! He thinks I am his toy!:D

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to the Avenue :) Thanks for getting a rehome! :D Here are a few sections to check out that you can see how others have done toys and get some ideas and where to get stuff:
DIY Drive - Avian Avenue Parrot & Other Birds Message Board
Toys & Cages Bypass - Avian Avenue Parrot & Other Birds Message Board

You might also want to check out the "sidewalk sale" where several of our members that are vendors are having some awesome sales next week. :D
http://forums.avianavenue.com/marke...mi-annual-sidewalk-sale-friday-july-16-a.html

Kolkri

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angie
Welcome to AA. Sounds like your off to a good start.

MollyMouse

Biking along the boulevard
Hi Jenni and Welcome to AA be sure to post in the Welcome Lane so everyone can meet you.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Welcome and Congratulations!!!!!! That is so great. My green cheek loves her toys, most of all she likes her foraging box. Each afternoon I put a little cardboard box full of toys like beads, little plastic animals (her lizards are her favorites), plastic smiley cups, little whiffle balls, etc and 4 nutriberries. She goes through them and eats her berries and then spends the rest of the day playing with her toys. In the morning I have to clean up the bottom of her cage and collect all her toys because they are all over the place:)

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Welcome and congratulations.. Green Cheeks are awesome. :highfive:

zoomama

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Welcome to the Avenue!! Tanya is a wealth of information, so I'd definitely follow her recommendations. A lot of us feed mostly fresh fruits and veggies...sprouts are great for them...some types of cooked beans. I've followed the advice of many here and try to keep pellets down to around 15-20% of their food. One of my favorite links, besides all the info here, is www.pamperedpeeps. She breeds GCC's, and she has tons of info about foods, and all kinds of questions new parrot owners usually have. I think it's great you're going to make a lot of your own toys. You can save a lot of money that way. Just be sure you're using bird-safe materials. Be sure to do some searches here on foraging. Foraging can help birds stay happy and healthy; and it's not hard to set up. Good luck with your new baby. We've seen pics a few times and he/she looks like a real sweetie!

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Hello, Welcome, and Congrats!

Chicklette

Real Name
Courtney
Welcome, you will love your new conure. Im glad you are researching first. Just a caution with toys, no metals. They can get metal poisoning. They love toys. I frequently go to the dollar store and make toys. If you do a search on youtube you will see people making toys.

A search I do on youtube, great videos.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=making+parrot+toys&aq=f

Status
Not open for further replies.