• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Adopting 2 lots of 4 Zebra Finches

Rædwalda

Strolling the yard
So I'm adopting two lots of unwanted Zebra Finches, both in groups of 4 and living in tiny cages.

Just about to go out and pick up the first lot and then the rest tomorrow.

These ones are only 8 months old, but the group I'm picking up tomorrow are around 1.5 years.

Plan to integrate the two flocks together in an enclosure I have built.

Pics and blog will follow, posting here in case anyone can give me tips or advice.

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Have you had finches before? What kind of enclosure will they be moving into?

Looking forward to seeing pictures. :)

Rædwalda

Strolling the yard
Here are the first lot in their cage, I know you're supposed to isolate birds when you buy them, but they seem in good health, and I couldn't really stop my canary, Rædwalda, from flying over to their cage to take a look...

My Canary came out of her cage as soon as she heard the Finches and started to chirp back at them, then flew around a few times and landed on their cage. They don't seem perturbed by her presence at all.

Attachments

Rædwalda

Strolling the yard
Have you had finches before? What kind of enclosure will they be moving into?

Looking forward to seeing pictures. :)

I've never kept Finches, but always wanted to. The enclosure I have built is made from bamboo and mesh and some cage grills, it's not finished but will be this weekend. I will posted pic of it's various stages of building. It's not a permanent home, but perhaps up to three months.

Apparently these Finches are used to coming out of their cage (and will return themselves), so I may not move them straight into the enclosure, but actually train them to move out of their cage and into the enclosure with the other Finches. We'll see how it goes, will keep the thread updated.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Congratulations and thank you.

Rædwalda

Strolling the yard
Well it's getting dark here, and the move seemed to go well. One thing I've noticed is that as I have now dimmed the lights one of the Finches is in the nest, and three are on the perch.

They are supposed to be 2x males and 2x females, I wonder why one is sleeping alone?

Rædwalda

Strolling the yard
As far as I was told, the white one (I named Wecta) is a female, and the one without orange spotted cheeks (I think I am naming Eoppa) are females. The other two (Eggwin and Eggbert) are supposed to be males.

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
I had zebra finches years ago. They are happy, energetic little birds, very fun to watch. I highly recommend them. Finches in general are relatively easy birds to keep and care for due to their small size and (usually) peaceful nature. Zebra finches are quite gregarious and social birds, so I doubt that you will have any trouble integrating the two groups together. They love being in larger flocks. Zebras can sometimes be a little too bossy for more reserved birds, like canaries, so keep an eye on them to make sure the interactions remain positive and all birds have space to move away from each other when they need extra room.

A quarantine period for new birds is very important, especially rescued birds that might already be stressed or ill. You don't want one sick bird to become five or ten sick birds! Ideally, you should keep the new birds in a separate room or a different part of the house away from your current bird(s) until you are fairly sure that they are healthy and happy - most people recommend 4-6 weeks. I have an outdoor aviary with finches and parakeets. I keep any new birds in my house for at least a month before moving them into the main aviary so they have no direct contact until I can give them a clean bill of health. They aren't even in the same building.
That being said, I understand that not everyone can do that and properly quarantining birds in an apartment or small home with flighted birds can be a real challenge. Just be aware that if one bird gets sick, you might need to treat ALL birds that have been in contact with the sick bird, which can get quite costly. A little prevention can save a lot of time, stress, and money, especially when you own multiple birds, since new arrivals are a major source of new parasites or diseases in a closed flock.

One more thing I should mention, especially since you already have two pairs - zebra finches are notoriously prolific breeders. They will happily lay eggs and raise babies as long as they have any access to suitable (or even unsuitable) nesting locations. And they won't stop unless you make a real effort to prevent breeding. So if you keep zebra finches, it is important to give serious consideration to whether or not you are interested in breeding your birds. If you are, you need to do your research and get ready now, BEFORE you look inside a nest and see babies! There is a lot to know and supplies to keep on hand in case something goes wrong.

If you are not planning on breeding your finches, you should take steps now to prevent the birds from breeding so you don't end up with a unfortunate surprise later on.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Congratulations to you & the finches!

Rædwalda

Strolling the yard
I had zebra finches years ago....
Thank you so much for taking the time to give this advice.

I am going to order some dummy eggs, to prevent the problem of over-breeding.

These 4 have a nest in their cage, but don't seem to be laying any eggs, the owner never mentioned that so I do not think they have been breeding yet. I'm guessing they wont lay when sharing a nest like that, or in such a small cage?

The second older lot I'm collecting today seem a little more neglected from what I can gather.

I definitely don't want to keep them in these little cages for 4-6 weeks. They seem ok in there but they are probably a little stressed due to lack of nesting and flight room. I do have a second little space I could close off with mesh and bamboo and use as a second enclosure, but it's not really ideal.

I'll see what I think when the next flock/cage are here.

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
From what I've heard and seen, small cage size and crowded nests will not stop zebra finches from breeding. It might deter more finicky finches, but zebras won't let small obstacles slow them down. They are very determined and adaptable. I'd recommend removing the nest, since it will encourage nesting behaviors and isn't necessary for the happiness of the birds.

If you want to see what can happen if you let zebra finches breed without limits, check out this thread from a lady that inherited an overpopulated cage of finches from her sick uncle: Help! Lots of finches and new eggs

The birds were left to do their own thing for quite a while and the result was a whole lot of zebra finches (and a few other finches) in a cage that was not big enough for all of them. And the zebras were still happily breeding away!

Rædwalda

Strolling the yard
These ones are 8 months old, perhaps that's why they haven't bred yet? Ok I am removing the nest, I was planning to put nests in the enclosure but now I won't.

So if I remove the nests they will not lay eggs?

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
I don't know anything about finches except that they are cute.
@finchly

Rædwalda

Strolling the yard
Just picked up my second lot. They are a bit larger than the others, another white females (Witta) and a Pied male (Whitgar) and two more regular looking Finches which I haven't named yet.

Attachments

Rædwalda

Strolling the yard
So I still have them in their cages for now, but have made some adjustments. Thinking about giving them Johnson's Vit-min drops in their water, but will wait until tomorrow as I'm undecided on giving that to Finches.

Rædwalda

Strolling the yard
Wow. The oldest group which I picked up today started doing this hypnotic little song between themselves, lead by the regular-looking female (named Esla). The younger group, across the room, don't sing that well, but suddenly Wecta the younger white female started to join in, and all the older Finches got very excited and literally looked and sounded like they were laughing! All four jumped about chattering and sounded very entertained!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
How fun! You're going to enjoy them.

These ones are 8 months old, perhaps that's why they haven't bred yet? Ok I am removing the nest, I was planning to put nests in the enclosure but now I won't.

So if I remove the nests they will not lay eggs?
If you remove the nests they will still lay eggs, but will not feel quite as "nesty" (hopefully). They will put their eggs on the floor or in the food dish. If you want to breed, that's one thing. If not - discourage it by removing eggs and nests. Usually if a hen is serious about making a nest in the dish, I let her hang out there for awhile. If it's just one egg I toss it.

Most people here are against breeding, but most people here do not own zebra finches! :roflmao: They breed and breed and breed. You really can't stop them. So what you can do is either boil the eggs and give them back, or use little fake eggs and switch each real one for a fake. You could also house males separately from females.

If you do want to breed them, please be sure there will be homes for them. And be ready with extra cages and all. Zebras are very prolific and you end up with 70-100 in a year if you aren't careful.

Rædwalda

Strolling the yard
How fun! You're going to enjoy them.

If you remove the nests they will still lay eggs, but will not feel quite as "nesty" (hopefully). They will put their eggs on the floor or in the food dish. If you want to breed, that's one thing. If not - discourage it by removing eggs and nests. Usually if a hen is serious about making a nest in the dish, I let her hang out there for awhile. If it's just one egg I toss it.

Most people here are against breeding, but most people here do not own zebra finches! :roflmao: They breed and breed and breed. You really can't stop them. So what you can do is either boil the eggs and give them back, or use little fake eggs and switch each real one for a fake. You could also house males separately from females.

If you do want to breed them, please be sure there will be homes for them. And be ready with extra cages and all. Zebras are very prolific and you end up with 70-100 in a year if you aren't careful.

I can see by their behaviour that they are all definitely couples (I even saw Eggbert and Eoppa "doing it"), yet it seems none of them have ever laid any eggs so far.

I don't want to separate them into male/female groups, as they appear to be quite attached to their partners, and I feel they would be happier as one big flock in one big cage/aviary.

I definitely don't plan to breed them. I have adopted these to give them a better life, but I want the cycle to end here. I don't want to have to sell any to strangers who may not take care of them. I will have to do everything I can to prevent it, I think I'll go with dummy eggs. If I do get any accidental babies I will have to keep them. Perhaps later on down the line I will let them have a few babies to grow up and live here with them, depends how I feel about keeping more.

They all seem quite comfortable right now, particularly the older lot, so I decided to keep them in their cages until they have settled to their new life. Once they have started exploring the room and getting to know each other during free flight time, I will move them together, seems to be the best way to do it.

Rædwalda

Strolling the yard
Can already see that the older group are too confined in the small cage. They looked relaxed and comfy perching in the evening, chirping to each other, but during the day one couple (Esla and Eggmund) are more or less getting knocked about by the white and pied couple (Witta and Wihtgar). The previous owner has told me that the white and pied are the most dominant of the two, so I am going to finish the enclosure today and move them out, starting with the weaker birds.