• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Adopted two older cockatiels

Arijana

Moving in
Hello,

I want to introduce myself and my birds as well as my struggles, maybe I get useful info here as my experience is one super tame cockatiel long time ago when I was young.

Last year a friend told me about a yellow male cockatiel named Kiki that nobody wants and lives in poor condition. My heart broke so I took him in not really knowing what to expect. He was brought to me in a tiny dirty broken-up old cage, he could not even spread his wings inside unless he does it kind of upside down. Looks like he was fed only seeds for small birds as he eats only those out of high quality food I get him. He was totally wild, not social at all, hissing and biting and attacking when we come near the cage. He also did not want to leave the cage on his own for months, and later if I managed to get him out (with a glove and perch) he seemed so unhappy and stressed I gave up because it looked to me that I am torturing him. He was in poor physical shape, cannot fly at all, and when he falls from my finger or perch it is a struggle to get him back inside without him totally freaking out. I was told he lived 3 years in those very poor condition, and I can tell he was totally neglected. I don't really know his age.

I have a problem with animals locked up in cages so I could not stand him being inside and he did not look happy at all. I got him a huge cage, new toys and I am working with him slowly for a year now. I made some mistakes along the way, not knowing enough, thinking I could wing it, not really understanding how much more difficult it is with older birds. The one I had long time ago even slept on my neck under my hair, he was totally in love with us and it all happened very quickly after we brought him home. He was very young when we got him too, I remember cleaning sunflower seeds for him as he did not seem to be able to do it himself at first. It took us a year where he does not attack me when I get near the cage, unless he was sleeping and I took him by surprise. He looks very nice now, his feathers are nice and clean, and because he sleeps on top of the cage and I intentionally put the food at the bottom, he gets lots of exercize and now seems to be a bit better in terms of physical condition. He still falls down out of the blue, like a rock, and pats at the bottom for a minute or two, then just climbs back up or decides to eat since he is down anyway :) He was very lazy at first, and weak, and he would go down and then take a nap before climbing back up. His motoric abilities are not that great now, but he gets around the cage very nicely. He does not do well with changes so I never move his perches or food, it used to take him a day or two to find a bowl of food if I move it, so I would put in a second one, and when he finds that one I remove the first.

So now he seems to like me better, I can get him out of the cage on my finger (I found very useful videos on how to prevent biting which was problematic before) and give him treats the whole time, as soon as I stop he wants to go back inside and I return him. When I talk he ruffles up, and looks like a baby bird when mom comes with food or something, hard to describe, but I think he likes me and my company. My husband and he have a little routine where they both bend down and he jokes it is a little exercise. So it is very slowly getting better, but still, his cage is his whole world and I am trying so hard to get him to realize there is also wonderful world outside it. He loves showers with spray bottle, and food, he also likes fighting with his mirror (even when it gets closed up, I know, I read somewhere here that I should slowly remove it as it is a ladies flip mirror, he came to me with it).

The whole time I knew that he might be lonely. We work and girls are in school all day. So I waited for another bird needing home (I have a thing of adopt don't by which as you see complicates my life haha) and recently I found a female, Angie, who lived in a pare but her male died so she was left alone and very unhappy. Her owner was crying when she gave her to me but she said she could not bare another loss so she decided not to get a second bird but rather find her a home with condition of one or more birds living with her. She told me that she is tame and I thought this is a perfect opportunity for Kiki to see and learn from her. Lady had her for about 6 years and does not know her age. When I brought her home I realized that she is not social with humans at all. So I got another wild hissing and biting older bird! Positive side is that she has a large enough cage, she was not neglected, she leaves the cage and returns by herself, but she will not step on a finger or a perch, she is very fast and just jumps over it! I managed to feed her treats from hand but that is as close as I can get. The good thing is that I am pretty sure she is interested in Kiki, she also expressed a wish to mate, but Kiki seems totally not interested, occasionally hisses at her when she walks on his cage above him, but I got them to eat a same treat (folded millet spray), he hissed at her first time, now they are just both cautious.

So now I realize that I want to get two older tiels tamed, Kiki seems better with it now as he is with us much longer (Angie is here only about a month or so), and that I need to figure out how to teach Angie to step-up. Her previous owner told me that she would just grab her with her hands, but she does not seem to enjoy me doing it at all so if she did not come back to the cage I must towel her so I can leave the house.

I hope there are people willing to share their wisdom with me so that the proces of taming these two birds and making better life for them goes smoother and faster. My hope is that, even if they do not fall in love, they can live together in Kiki's "castle" :)
K&A.jpg

Appolosmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bev
they are beautiful. :welave:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Thanks for taking them and giving them a better life. They are beautiful. Please don't encourage mating. They have had a tough life as it is and may not be healthy enough to even raise any babies. If you put a nest in the cage please remove it. Let them live out their life in comfort.

Arijana

Moving in
Dear @Lady Jane, Id not want them to mate, I actually want them to be friends and keep each other company. I did not even expect that from them and was very surprised when Angie did her mating call (I thought something was wrong with jer so I googled it haha). I do not have a nest and did not plan to get one, I am not skilled to raise more birds and what would I do with so many of them?

Does this mean I should not allow them to live in the same cage even if they end up getting along well? Kiki's cage is so roomy, enough for several birds, and it's brand new compared to Angie's, I was hoping both of them can share it one day...

Maybe I was misunderstood when I said that Kiki shows no interest for Angie, I meant to socialize with her. Perhaps that changes if I manage to take that mirror away from him after so many years...

I am thankful for all experience and advice ❤

Kind regards,

Arijana

Davi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Davi
I'm so glad they have you now! I have had two older cockatiels since 2013 who most likely were used as breeders. They were in bad shape when I got them, but now they enjoy their surroundings and their new life. There are so many wonderful people with helpful advice on this forum. I'm glad you've decided to join! :heart:

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
Welcome to the Avenue!! :) Your cockatiels are beautiful! What lucky birds to have found you!
I don't have cockatiels and have two boys but I've read a lot on here so my advice only comes from what I've read. You won't have to keep them separate if they mate-bond, you just have to practice birdie birth control. Any eggs she lays you'll need to take and either boil or freeze before a chick forms and replace them with dummy eggs of the appropriate size. And if they do mate-bond, make sure to give Angie extra calcium if she does lay eggs.

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
You can purchase extra calcium supplements and offer them food or treats with extra calcium :) female cockatiels are notorious egg layers and egg binding is an issue they seem to have worse than other species. Hopefully they become friends. That would be nice for them both.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum. Thank you for helping these birds. They're really cute. If they get along, they can share a cage. Ways to discourage egg laying is to not give them anything that resembles a nest box and rearranging the cage frequently. Also, make sure they get enough sleep. Tiels should have 10-12 hours of sleep/darkness. When your females seems hormonal, you can try bumping that up by 2 hours for a couple weeks. It makes them think it's "winter" and not time to lay. Sometimes those simple things work.

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
:welcome2: Arijana, Kiki and Angie! How lovely you have given a home to two that needed it. Sounds like there has been great progress between the three of you! :D

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA and congrats on adopting your 'tiels. They are both beautiful.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
:welcomesign:

Your birds are beautiful. It sounds like you’ve done a great job with them. As long as you take it slowly, they will probably be fine with sharing a cage.

I have 3 cockatiels. The 2 girls share a cage and the male (rescue, probably 25 years old or more, not tame)has his own, even tho he loves one of the girls. They’re all out most of the time. I did try putting him in their cage, everyone was fine with it overnight but he hasn’t gone back in there.

Arijana

Moving in
Thank you all! I realized it is a very slow process and am letting them pace it themselves, Kiki just need a little, no tiny, push to get out. Motivation is that snack they love I have a rescue dog and doing the same, just keep bribing with sweets and earn love and trust. I am pretty positive Kiki likes me now, when I come near the cage he acts like a hungry baby bird he fluffs up shakes his wings and then he bows down. Don't know much about their behaviour but I feel this is "happy to see you" sign even though I would like them to move in the same cage, I am not so sure it will ever happen as Kiki is a bit protective of his stuff. Nevertheless, I am now working on earning Angie's love and trust, and Kiki's will to get out of the cage. One step at a time

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
:hello::welcomesign:
Always room for tiels here, one of the Avenue's favourites.