• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Adopted my first bird, an Umbrella Cockatoo

Dlynjen

Meeting neighbors
I adopted my first ever bird, an Umbrella Cockatoo last week. Despite the cries for attention whenever I'm not in the room, things are going great. I was hoping to gather a few tips or positive (and helpful) insight on how to keep her happy and healthy. That, and to get a bit of a chuckle from all the immediate criticism on what a bad decision it is to adopt a U2 with zero experience.

GoDucks

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jamie
I adopted my first ever bird, an Umbrella Cockatoo last week. Despite the cries for attention whenever I'm not in the room, things are going great. I was hoping to gather a few tips or positive (and helpful) insight on how to keep her happy and healthy. That, and to get a bit of a chuckle from all the immediate criticism on what a bad decision it is to adopt a U2 with zero experience.

Hi, welcome to AA. :) My first bird was also a Umbrella Cockatoo so I can definitely relate.
Have you done any research on the breed? We have a cockatoo thread on this site so that might be of some help.

My advice with getting to know a bird (especially a cockatoo) is to go slow- let her get use to you and her new environment. Also know that there will be times that she will get hormonal, clingy and moody. Cockatoos do best with a set routine, so please be upfront with her now as to what she can expect from you in regards to bedtime and out of cage time. They love to play with toys but those toys can be as cheap as a paper bag.

If she becomes hormonal with you, ( she will! ) divert her attention to something else.
Also, cockatoos have a penchant for getting spoiled, real quick, so please don't readily give in to her screams.
Have fun with her, get to know her body language and watch out for that beak.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Congrats. Not an easy first bird or bird period but its best to get the bird you want. Just do alot of research. They are needy & smart. Will keep you on your toes.
I have no too experience but there are many on the forum.

Good Luck

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Welcome! We rescued 2 blue front amazons that were wild caught and DNA male without any bird experience.

It's all doable. You just need to learn.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
That, and to get a bit of a chuckle from all the immediate criticism on what a bad decision it is to adopt a U2 with zero experience.
Do you realize what a bad decision it is to adopt a U2 with zero experience? :)

You just don’t know what you don’t know. Until you know. And you will have no choice but to learn the hard way (what other way is there?). Welcome aboard.

Hindsight is 20/20. There’s lots of that around here.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I love the "Good, Bad and Ugly" sections about each type of bird. They're all green "sticky" threads at the top of each sub forum in the Species Speedway section. There's plenty of funny stories with some good tips, etc, mixed in. :) And welcome to the Avenue!
welcome signs.gif

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Welcome to the Avenue! 1.welcome signs.gif

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Take heart - my first bird was a 19 year old wild caught Greenwing male that had been abused (physically) for ten years. Adult GW males have a reputation as an "assertive" bird and throw in the rest of his background with Hank, and he was more than a challenge. LOL. Plus that was 24 years ago when there was very little help around.

We survived and not only did we survive, we became best buddies. Took lots of patience and compromise on both our parts, but when he died a part of me went with him.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome! No criticism here. I'd much rather see someone get the bird they want from the get go then "trade up" so to speak which is a huge disservice to the equally important little birds. I can't emphasis enough the importance of training. I didn't do it from the get go with my goffin and realize that was a mistake. We had a really long honeymoon period with him and I thought wow- I am the luckiest person in the world to have gotten an easy cockatoo. :roflmao: (Yes, @JLcribber, you can laugh at me. ;)) But cockatoos really are delightful birds- smart and funny. Never underestimate the smart part. They can be destructive. So it's important that they have toys and lots of mental stimulation. And they can get excited very easily. An overly excited cockatoo often leads to a bite. So, you have to learn the fine line between we're having fun and playing and the 'too going over the edge and becoming crazy. LOL. But you'll learn. :)

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
That, and to get a bit of a chuckle from all the immediate criticism on what a bad decision it is to adopt a U2 with zero experience.
Sorry, wrong forum. :lol:You might try FB; I hear those groups might be more what you're thinking of. ;)

MR. Mango

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Ira do u have a chimp?

MR. Mango

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
IKR I saw an interview where the poor women showed her face and I was scared for life,

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Last edited:

Ira

Sprinting down the street