• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Adding to the flock

henschelke

Strolling the yard
Hi! I'm new to this forum! I have a budgie named Milo who I adore and I have decided to add another bird to our family! I have decided on a linnie. I will be getting a hand fed baby from a breeder in August. Does anyone have any tips for me? I will keep Milo and the baby in separate cages. Also, what are people's experiences with pet linnies? I want it to be really tame and cuddly. I plan on spending a lot of one on one time with him/her. Also, should I get a linnie or a tiel? I just want to be sure that I've made the right decision! Thank you

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

henschelke

Strolling the yard
Welcome! I personally do not have any lineolated parakeet experience, but hopefully someone else here may: @jmfleish , @suileeka , @Lady Jane , or @KayKhaos . It the meantime, have you read over this thread: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly about Lineolated Parakeets | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum ?

Matt
Yes I have! I really don't care about whether or not they are messy. i just want an affectionate bird who enjoys hanging out with me! Thanks for your response

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Hello and please know you will get so much enjoyment out of having a Linnie in your home and heart. Like budgies they are best in pairs. I have a male and female pair. My Yes they are messy but I clean the cage bottom about 3 times per day. They make the cutest little sounds I have ever heard. My two seem to eat most of the day, just about any food I offer them. Favorites are apples and carrots. They love their toys and will play all day long with them. Climbing seems to be something they do love. The type of toys they love I find mostly on TNT. Leather and beads is a winning combination. If you have any other questions please feel free to ask.

henschelke

Strolling the yard
Hello and please know you will get so much enjoyment out of having a Linnie in your home and heart. Like budgies they are best in pairs. I have a male and female pair. My Yes they are messy but I clean the cage bottom about 3 times per day. They make the cutest little sounds I have ever heard. My two seem to eat most of the day, just about any food I offer them. Favorites are apples and carrots. They love their toys and will play all day long with them. Climbing seems to be something they do love. The type of toys they love I find mostly on TNT. Leather and beads is a winning combination. If you have any other questions please feel free to ask.
Thanks for your response!! What types of birds have you had? My budgie Milo is my first bird. How do budgies compare with linnies? And have you ever had a tiel? That was the other type of bird I was thinking of getting

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:welave:

wyrinth

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Welcome to the forum. I currently have six linnies (my original pair and their 4 babies) I love linnies. They are calm, quiet and make such pleasant little sounds. They are very social birds and although some get to be hand shy, regardless of having been hand fed, they still remain affectionate. My two (the babies are still too new to tell about long term personality) are a joy. When allowed out of the cage, they will seek me out and either land on me or very close to where I am. Occasionally, they would have aloof moments where they preferred to sit a little further, but if I left and went in another room, they would follow. I used to have budgies when I was younger and I would say that linnies are a lot more "parroty" than them and not as "finchy" as budgies. I've never had a cockatiel, but that was one of my options before settling on linnies. The reason I chose linnies over cockatiels was 1) the dust, linnies are not really dusty and nowhere near as dusty as tiels. 2) I YouTubed linnies/cockatiels screaming and I find the linnies sounds, even at their most loudest and annoying, less bothersome to me than a cockatiel (although not bad compared to other birds). 3) I liked the linnie colors/looks more than the tiels (I know it shouldn't really matter, but it did to me, especially considering it was a close decision between the two)

henschelke

Strolling the yard
Welcome to the forum. I currently have six linnies (my original pair and their 4 babies) I love linnies. They are calm, quiet and make such pleasant little sounds. They are very social birds and although some get to be hand shy, regardless of having been hand fed, they still remain affectionate. My two (the babies are still too new to tell about long term personality) are a joy. When allowed out of the cage, they will seek me out and either land on me or very close to where I am. Occasionally, they would have aloof moments where they preferred to sit a little further, but if I left and went in another room, they would follow. I used to have budgies when I was younger and I would say that linnies are a lot more "parroty" than them and not as "finchy" as budgies. I've never had a cockatiel, but that was one of my options before settling on linnies. The reason I chose linnies over cockatiels was 1) the dust, linnies are not really dusty and nowhere near as dusty as tiels. 2) I YouTubed linnies/cockatiels screaming and I find the linnies sounds, even at their most loudest and annoying, less bothersome to me than a cockatiel (although not bad compared to other birds). 3) I liked the linnie colors/looks more than the tiels (I know it shouldn't really matter, but it did to me, especially considering it was a close decision between the two)
Thanks so much what you said was exactly what I was looking for! Yeah my budgie does seem finch like. Just the way he moves and he startles easily sometimes and can be kinda flighty. In the videos I've seen of linnies they seem to be a lot calmer. i would love to get a bigger bird that has a more parrot-like personality, but at the moment I live with roommates and I just think it's too much of a commitment! I'm hoping my linnie will be a perfect addition!

KayKhaos

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kaylea
I have 2 female linnies. One was hand fed, got when she was a baby and the other was a year older and parent raised. Originally for breeding.
Loki is a snuggler and loves being on me/ near me. Cynder rather be under a blanket all day But also likes being near, I can handel them with my hands now took alot of time. They definitely are little clowas always making me laugh, there sounds are pretty cute And most of the time pretty quiet!
linnies I find are much different compared to other birds, good idea to have a pare of them.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
They do have such cute sounds, especially my female. Kobe the male loves it when we have visitors but female Tango is more shy. I expect up the road they will have babies but in still have dummy eggs handy. 5 is too many. What are your breeding experiences?

I had 2 English budgies before and the male died from yeast. I am afraid to have any more budgies because so many carry yeast.

Last edited: