• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly about Lineolated Parakeets

suileeka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
The attributes listed in this thread are the experiences of each individual and your experiences may differ with your individual birds.

As requested. :)

The GOOD

They are adorable, roly-poly little munchkins with spotted undersides! :heart: They have fun but thoughtful personalities. Even though they can be funny little goofballs when they're comfortable, they tend to think before acting and, if startled, will frequently freeze in place and pretend to be invisible rather than darting around wildly. They have a neat, deliberate way of walking - foot over foot - and are fantastic at climbing and clinging and hanging upside down. They fly like the other heavy-bodied New World Birds do, like little winged cannonballs. Beware getting hit in the face by one! :eek:

They tend to be hearty little piggies, and LOVE their fresh veggies, fruits, and mashes!!! They also use their feet to pick up food and other objects, like bigger birds do.

Though it isn't universally true that they're "quiet", as I know people have had linnies with noise issues (such as frequent contact calling.. ouch!) I will say that of my birds (conures, budgies, cockatiels, linnies), they ARE probably the quietest overall, at least in terms of frequency. My boys get going in the afternoon or evening sometimes, with their weird little monkey chatter, and they'll start calling in the morning sometimes if I don't get up early enough, but in general, they tend to be fairly quiet.

They are cute, curious, delightful, and (I think) the perfect size for a small bird!

The BAD

For whatever reason, they tend to become hand-shy after a certain age, even if handfed and raised. It doesn't happen with all of them, but it does seem to be very, very common. I don't have a problem with it, but some people might.

I have found that they are less forgiving, more sensitive, and less adaptable to change than some of the other little birds - again, this seems to happen after maturity. My boys were more adaptable when they were babies. I used to socialize them by taking them to work with me.. they had no problems with this at all, and seemed to enjoy it! Now they are far more sensitive to change, and won't even go to bed if I so much as leave a towel or a box on the floor near their sleep cage. (Instead, they'll fly around the room and chortle angrily until I move the offending object.)

Along with being sensitive to how they're handled, they have long memories and do NOT forgive and forget. The last time I had Dorian and Basil's nails groomed, it took them over a MONTH to let me near them again. And I wasn't even the one that did the grooming... they were just that upset by being restrained.

Since linnies are small and like to burrow under object like blankets, furniture, etc., they also unfortunately can be easy to step on or sit on if you are not careful to be aware of where they are at all times. I know that sounds like common sense, which it is, but a linnie will burrow under your couch, under your pillows, in the cracks between sofa cushions, etc! And they will then sit there as quiet as a rock and almost as invisible.. Since Dorian and Basil are cage free during the day, I am always hypervigilant to look for them as soon as I enter the bird room, so that I know exactly where they are before I walk around or sit down.

Because they are heavy-bodied, if you choose to clip them, you need to be extremely conservative so that they don't get injured. A linnie that is clipped too much will plummet to the ground like a rock. (A wet linnie after a bath will do the same.)

Some people cite their poop as a negative, though it doesn't bother me. Just be aware that they hold their poop overnight like bigger parrots, and will therefore have a big morning bomb that seems completely disproportionate to their size. (And they might aim it at your other birds, if they don't like them. ;) )

The UGLY

Linnies are known (and my experience holds this up) to go through a "terrible twos" stage around the age of 8 months to 1 year old. Adolescence seems to be rough on them, and they can turn into wretched, biting, temper-tantrum-throwing little demons around this age. When my boys were this age, I endured frequent flying attacks at my face! They might be little, but they CAN bite hard, and when my boys got ahold of me, they wouldn't let go but would hang on and keep chewing on me. Getting them off was rather farcical, since as soon as I got them off one hand, they would bite and hang on to the other. (It's only funny in retrospect!)

They can also be quite cage and resource protective, and pairs have a strong tendency to gang up on other birds and bully them, even seriously injuring them sometimes. My linnies are fiercely protective of their sleep cage and will, even though they're not in the throes of adolescence anymore, attack me if I mess with it in the evening. (These days they mostly make their angry "back off!" noise rather than attacking, because they know I respect their space.) My pair will also actively chase my other birds away from things if they decide they want them. I would never, ever trust them around larger birds, because they are fearless when they are in that mood.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Wow Lindsay, you did a great summary of the Linnies!

I have nine of them and would say that Lindsay hit most of their behaviors right on. I've only had mine since last July and they are apparently coming to that crazy demon stage at this point although I haven't noticed it. Like Lindsay said, they tend to fear hands for whatever reason. I walked into my journey with them knowing I did not want them clipped, so we lost all chance of ever truly taming them because they could take off whenever they wanted. They all share one very large cage and get along fairly well although we do have tiffs here and there. They are fairly quiet for the most part unless they are fighting or occasionally we'll get a Linnie contact call here and there, and they have to come out frequently for out of cage time or they start getting antsy in their cage. They don't care for our hands but some of them will let me kiss their beaks and will rub up against my face. When they're out, they LOVE to come and visit with us and sit next to us and just check us out. I haven't noticed the aggression like Lindsay described but mine are still fairly young. Mine don't seem to be territorial either but perhaps part of this is because we have so many of them. They have a healthy respect for our bigger birds and will stay away from them, although there are only a few we trust to have upstairs when they are out. They do love to burrow and as Lindsay said, it might be common sense to know where they are and to avoid stepping on them or sitting on them, they are masters at just kind of disappearing into the couch or cushions or blankets and sitting there, so you really have to be vigilent of that. I can say that the poop has been a little amazing. I don't think it's any more or less than my bigger birds but they do seem to be able to get it everywhere! I was surprised to find it on the walls where there is no cage or playstand or anything for them to sit on and also on the ceiling. I've given up on figuring out how they do that! It doesn't happen often but it really was a first for me. My guys absolutely love to play and watching them is completely cathartic. They have the cutest little spots on their rumps and the lineations in their feathers are just stunning. They seem to me to be incredly docile birds and make the cutest little noises that Margaret likes to describe as alien noises. What can I say, I'm in love with them!

The one thing that I've found that I really can't stress enough is that these guys seem to flock much more strongly than my larger birds. They love being with each other and huddle up together and follow each other around a lot. I wouldn't suggest getting just one because they really seem to do better with at least one buddy. Three can be a problem though, until you get into larger numbers, I'd stick with even numbers for flocks if you're thinking in that direction.

I was never a small bird person until I met my first Linnie in person and then I was completely and totally done for! I can't even begin to express how much fun these little guys are.:heart:

suileeka

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
I've posted these before at various times, but consolidating them here seems like a good idea as an illustration of what I wrote above!

GOOD:

Playing!

[video=youtube;3i_0je9gu7Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3i_0je9gu7Q [/video]

Just being cute!

[video=youtube;pfu3pCcSeE8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfu3pCcSeE8 [/video]

BAD:

Monkey noises can be irritating at close quarters...

[video=youtube;c2PfvvS37aI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2PfvvS37aI [/video]

UGLY:

I know these videos look kind of cute, but Basil really is going after the others with little provocation. He still hadn't molted out his "baby" clip, though, so he was having more difficulty outright attacking... Just imagine if he did this to a larger bird that wouldn't run away, but would attack back.

[video=youtube;luins94TmCU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luins94TmCU [/video]

Last edited by a moderator:

karen256

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
That seems about right. When I got my linnie everything I read about them said how they were very gentle, sweet, quiet, and non-aggressive. And they are very closely related to parrotlets, so I was expecting a more cuddly or at least touchable bird.
Instead I got a bird that cannot be touched at all, he's loud, obnoxious, very stubborn and fearless (except for his fear of hands), with no apparent desire for any human companionship. He steps up ok, even from my shoulder, but immediately flies off or goes to my arm, there is no keeping him perched on my hand. He will start twittering with alarm if he even thinks I may be coming to pick him up. And he is LOUD for a little guy... not so much volume-wise, but this endless peeping. In the morning, when he is more active, he peeps continuously at a bearable volume. But should he hear another bird on TV or my GCC fly out of his sight, he will start peeping much louder and more frantically. He does make some cute little noises at times, especially mid day when he calms down and is quieter, but the repetitive peeping is his mail vocalization.
I don't know his exact history, but it seems he came from a good breeder, his first owner died after having him only a few months, and a friend of the owner took him in until I adopted him He was being kept in a much too small cage with only one toy when I got him, but seemed to have been well-loved and allowed out most of the day. So he went straight from a breeder to a basically good home where he was loved. And despite that, he doesn't like people and doesn't want to be touched or even step up. He would just as soon have no interaction with me beyond sharing dinner. I have to say, if my Kiwi is typical, I don't think linnies make very good interactive companion birds. I keep him in his cage, covered, a full 12-13 hrs at night because that little guy can just wear me out.

He also does like to burrow under things. He gave me a big scare a few weeks ago when I could not find him ANYWHERE. I even played a video of cockatiel sounds that would normally set him off peeping frantically... nothing. I checked the blankets and pillows on the sofa... everything I could think of until I was sure he had to be dead somewhere. But he eventually turned up.. snuggled up fast asleep in a towel on the floor. The burrowing is good and bad I guess - it's very cute but dangerous as well as he could be squished or catch a claw in fabric.

zuzanqa

Real Name
Zuz
How very interesting! Thanks guys

Maxsmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Really appreciate time and effort into these descriptions

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks. Great write ups!

lovie lunatic

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Noah
I think you made me fall in love with linnys suileeka.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I have a Linnie question as my vet told me one would be ok with my female EB Daisy. So I ask the people that have them do you think a male Linnie would like to be in a cage with a female English budgie?

suileeka

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
I have a Linnie question as my vet told me one would be ok with my female EB Daisy. So I ask the people that have them do you think a male Linnie would like to be in a cage with a female English budgie?
Probably not. I would never cage the two together even if they got along otherwise.

Jolie4

Checking out the neighborhood
I guess I've had a little difference of an experience with a Linnie. In my lifetime Ive had budgies, a cockatiel and a Quacker and my linnie has been hands down, the best by far. I got him around 10 weeks old as a single bird with his wings clipped and he bonded almost immediately. Yes they do poop a lot! But we take him out tell him to poop and he almost always does and then We hold him, but he does still poop. They seem to do it often. He loves to be out of his cage, rides around on our shoulder and even our hand. He's very quiet, calm and gentle and loves even strangers. He loves to cuddle in my hair. We got him a play gym that sits on top of his cage and he'll play in it for hours but if we walk by he flaps his wings really hard cause he wants to be picked up. The only time he's ever tried biting is if you stick your finger in his face, he doesn't like that but will gladly step onto our hand any time. If he's on his play gym and were on the couch he sometimes flutters to the ground and runs to us. I haven't experienced the Terrible twos with him but he's 8 months old. He laughs, says thank you, give me a kiss and says good boy! We work during the day but spend a lot of time with him at night. He's been an axing bird so far. My 5 year old holds him as well, under supervision and he cuddles with him too.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Jolie I am happy you have a well adjusted bird. Have you noticed how much water he drinks? Linnies seem to drink every time they eat something which is quite frequently.
Both of mine will step up now but still no touch except for my males beak caresses. Linnies are a joy to be around. I hope they never make it to pet stores.

Jolie4

I guess I've never really noticed him drinking a lot of water, will have to watch a little closer. He does eat a lot though, little piggie. I do wish the breeder would have introduced him to new foods though. He's eating seed and I can't get him to eat anything else. I keep introducing the little Zupreem pelets and veggies but he won't touch them. With our linnie we always grabbed him and kissed him all over, turned him upside down in our hand and such. He didn't like it at first but now we can pretty much do anything with him. I say "him" but he's not actually DNA sexed so not sure.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I am sorry your little bird is not eating veggies. My male chowed down on Kale the day I brought him home and has not stopped. I thought he would go from blue to green. My female is the same way but both breeders started them out on a chop like mix which must make a huge difference. Most likely if you bird saw another Linnie eating veggies he would also do that.

Joelle

Walking the driveway
@Jolie4 It just takes time and persistence to get them trying fresh foods. Leave some finely chopped fruit everyday and I bet he'll try it :) my guys like apple, carrot, peas (not too many as they have neurological toxins in high doses) corn, papaya, and grapes the most!
It's nice that your bird is hand tame but apparently forcing birds to get used to touching can cause learned helplessness where the bird feels they have no choice but to submit. You may want to try some trust building in other ways to encourage him to build confidence/autonomy.

Nathaniel H

Real Name
Nathaniel
I bought a female Linnie, and she was just under 1 year old. Now, several months after her birthday, I was curious when her first (or second depending on opinion) adult moult would be taking place. I'd also be glad to know if there are any special nutrients or food types I could give her to assist in the regrowth process

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Hello. During a moult a little extra protein helps. Could be a hard cooked egg once week. I got a product on Amazon called Featheriffic and it worked wonders to aid in the flight feathers growing back. The new feathers after moult were nice and shiny. It's a powder you sprinkle on food. 1/8 tsp. I actually found that measuring spoon on Amazon too.

BarbAga

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Barbara
Here is my baby linnie 4 1/2 mo. I just love him. He is so quiet. Just amazing Little birds.
This lutino is hopefully my next one. Dna'd waiting on results. Only 4 weeks old yesterday. I go play with her alot, so we bond.

Attachments

Lisa Emme

Real Name
Lisa Emme
That seems about right. When I got my linnie everything I read about them said how they were very gentle, sweet, quiet, and non-aggressive. And they are very closely related to parrotlets, so I was expecting a more cuddly or at least touchable bird.
Instead I got a bird that cannot be touched at all, he's loud, obnoxious, very stubborn and fearless (except for his fear of hands), with no apparent desire for any human companionship. He steps up ok, even from my shoulder, but immediately flies off or goes to my arm, there is no keeping him perched on my hand. He will start twittering with alarm if he even thinks I may be coming to pick him up. And he is LOUD for a little guy... not so much volume-wise, but this endless peeping. In the morning, when he is more active, he peeps continuously at a bearable volume. But should he hear another bird on TV or my GCC fly out of his sight, he will start peeping much louder and more frantically. He does make some cute little noises at times, especially mid day when he calms down and is quieter, but the repetitive peeping is his mail vocalization.
I don't know his exact history, but it seems he came from a good breeder, his first owner died after having him only a few months, and a friend of the owner took him in until I adopted him He was being kept in a much too small cage with only one toy when I got him, but seemed to have been well-loved and allowed out most of the day. So he went straight from a breeder to a basically good home where he was loved. And despite that, he doesn't like people and doesn't want to be touched or even step up. He would just as soon have no interaction with me beyond sharing dinner. I have to say, if my Kiwi is typical, I don't think linnies make very good interactive companion birds. I keep him in his cage, covered, a full 12-13 hrs at night because that little guy can just wear me out.

He also does like to burrow under things. He gave me a big scare a few weeks ago when I could not find him ANYWHERE. I even played a video of cockatiel sounds that would normally set him off peeping frantically... nothing. I checked the blankets and pillows on the sofa... everything I could think of until I was sure he had to be dead somewhere. But he eventually turned up.. snuggled up fast asleep in a towel on the floor. The burrowing is good and bad I guess - it's very cute but dangerous as well as he could be squished or catch a claw in fabric.

The burrowing thing is super serious. No bird can breathe under blankets. I lost my GC Conure this way. His cage door wasnt fully closed and he burrowed in with me when was asleep. I am still sad about it A huge learning curve.
Here is my baby linnie 4 1/2 mo. I just love him. He is so quiet. Just amazing Little birds.
This lutino is hopefully my next one. Dna'd waiting on results. Only 4 weeks old yesterday. I go play with her alot, so we bond.

KatieChildress

Moving in
Real Name
Katie
Lisa- I am so sorry you had to experience. I too have had a terrible awful accident and even though its been a year I still cry. You are right- it's a huge learning curve owning birds.