• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

added up my 2009 budget categories

Status
Not open for further replies.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
and maybe I was better off not knowing!

I spent $3,045 on my birds this year. That is all foods, toys, grooming, vet. We didn't have any big medical problems or make any major cage purchases.
Sounds scary but- That's about $2 a day per bird. A bargain, yes!

I also spent about $1/day on the wild birds outside.

And a grand total of $137.46 for all clothing for me. That includes socks and underwear. It went mostly for field pants, sun-shirt and hat for my summer field (entomology) work.

Well, I guess we know where my priorities are.

Anybody else out there keep a budget and know what your totals were?

Angelicarboreals

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angela
I am not sure I want to know. :) Eight days into 2010 I am already up to almost $800. I would bet that last year it was fairly close to what you paid, if not more.

Cory

Real Name
Cory
I don't know exactly how much I've spent on my birds but it is definitely A LOT. I have now been keeping records since January 1st 2010 so I'll know from now on. :p

A rough estimate of what preventative veterinary care, food, and enrichment will cost me annually is around $4700 - $5500 CAD. This figure is based on the cost of all of the birds in my signature photo plus an additional amazon that I might be getting at the end of the summer. It doesn't include the lovebirds and finches that I have for adoption.

An annual health examination for each of my birds is roughly $250 which includes a physical examination, a complete blood count, a blood chemistry, and a fecal gram stain. This past year I spend an additional $2000 or so on emergency veterinary care.

Food and supplements cost me between $90 - $150 every month depending on what I buy.

I figure I spend around $100 a month on buying and making toys.

This upcoming fall I'm going to microchip all of my birds (except for Kiwi my Parrotlet :D). That will cost around $1000...
Plus whatever other countless expenses there are... :lol:

Last edited:

thejoie

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Joanna
To be honest- I'd be seriously afraid to actually tally the numbers out because I KNOW they'd be out of this world!!

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
Hmm...I guess I should keep track of what I spend, although if I do and my boyfriend sees the numbers..(I do try and keep a monthly budget and try to not go overboard, although if I spend less on a month, I might spend the balance in another month.)

Anywho, I definitively spend more on them than I do on me. But it so much more fun to shop for stuff for them than for stuff for me :)

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
I don't think too many people have any idea what keeping a bird will cost. (Of course there are those that won't provide vet care or toys.)
But folks need to be informed on what it could cost, and not get a bird if they can't afford it.

Cory

Real Name
Cory
Here's a link to an information page on my website about parrot expenses:

Parrot Expenses - CEC Exotics Aviary

Note: I probably should edit it and add in that the prices mentioned are in CAD currency and from my personal experience and research. Of course prices will range! :) Feel free to give me suggestions too if you want. :)

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
Cory, I'm glad you have that info out there, it isn't discussed in general.

And I really love your pic on the website of the BFA and Caique, how cute! They seem really at ease with each other.

Lolle

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Louise
I dont think i want to know what we spent the last year on birds.. I even ordered food from UK >_< and a huge cage, and all the birds were bought aswell in 2009...

Im off to a good start in 2010, we already ordered from TLA :D

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I stopped looking at those numbers on purpose quite a few years ago. Scared the crap out of me. I also know its higher now than it use to be. :(

drop

I definately don't save any of the evidence... oh I mean receipts :rolleyes:

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
I don't have a 'birds' category, just a 'pets' one, and it's probably US$5-6k. :eek:

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
To be honest- I'd be seriously afraid to actually tally the numbers out because I KNOW they'd be out of this world!!
Same here, Joanna. I don't want to know :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.