• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Accidentally hurt my birdie and now she won’t let me near

Birblover7

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Josie
I left my room when my birds were out and when I came back in and sat down I put my arm down on her. I didn’t see her there or know she was on my bed. She freaked out and flew away, I don’t think she was severely hurt in anyway.
however now everytime I get close she flies away. She’s the tamest bird I have so it scares me to see her like this. Do you think it will pass or will I have a permanently frightened bird?

Birblover7

Real Name
Josie
Edit: I decided to leave her alone and it didn’t take her long for her to come down and land on me on her own. She lets me kiss her and lets me put my face against hers but backs off when I move my hands near her

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Understandable after a fright or incident.

So time, and lots of treats by hand and sweet talking!

WillowQ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
I definitely apologize when I make a mistake. I think my birds understand.

I had a Quaker who really held a grudge and I might get punishment bites until I apologized and was thoroughly sorry.

Birblover7

Real Name
Josie
Oh trust me I apologized!
I just tried to pick her up for the first time since it happened and she stepped up, but she seemed nervous and like she wanted to run away

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I've done the same (caught a toe in cage door), I apologized profusely, almost begging for forgiveness.
Seemed to work. I was forgiven.
Talk and explain, I know they understand so much more than many folk think.

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
Willow tripped running out of his cage this morning and fell/lunged at my hand with his beak open. I was startled so I moved my hand and he fell off his door. Of course I scooped him up but boy was he mad for a few minutes.

And yes I apologized and poor poor bird’ed him. I didn’t mean to; the beak lunge surprised me.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
It will eventually pass but you may have to build up the trust bank with your hands again.

I have accidentally crushed my birds toe pretty badly in the cage door and also accidentally pulled out a new pin feather on his head when he got a bit of a startle and moved fast while I was preening him (terrible bird mum I am lol) - I was definitely in the bad books for a while on both occasions even after saying sorry four hundred and twelve times and giving the snuggles he wanted.

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
We had massive snuggles for hours today so I think he’s over his mad. He was even yelling in the afternoon but I was very tired (have a cold) so couldn’t take him out again.

He’s such a good bird. Most of the time.

Spearmint

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
I got the cold shoulder for 2 days after accidentally hitting my birdie with my elbow. We worked it out with treats, and giving him treats whenever he was around my elbow- and also a little 'conversation' about how sorry I am :)