• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Accidentally Amazons

Status
Not open for further replies.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
I got Merlin by accident. Most of you know the story. I casually mentioned to large parrot rescuer if she ever got a WC Pionus I might be interested. She told me about this older, sweet, gimpy WF Amazon available (because they also have white on the head;)) and invited me to meet him. I had reservations but decided to anyway and fell in love with him after fostering him for just two weeks.

I was afraid of Amazons. I read so many things about how incredibly aggressive they can be. And, how loud they can be.

I find Merlin, to be an absolute perfect fit for us. He CAN be loud, no doubt about it. But, he vocalizes only a couple of times a day, always before feeding time. It doesn't bother either of us. The only thing that bothers me is that I feel like if he is vocalizing then he must be very hungry and I get up right away and feed him. The other morning he was really quiet and because I worry about him and his health and I got scared that he wasn't saying anything and I said "Merlin? Are you okay?" from my bedroom which is next to the bird room/office and he made his "urr-urr" loud noise:) After having Julio, the blue fronted amazon we are babysitting here, I think I could totally have one (not now of course).

I think by accident I have completely became an amazon person. I didn't even think that they were that pretty at first, now I think that they are totally striking!:heart:

Jadie

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jade
Merlin couldn't have ended up in better hands:hug8: He looks and sounds like such a sweetheart. I was never really an amazon person either, I liked them and was fascinated by them even a little scared of their reputation. I never thought I would end up with one, especially not one this big lol, but he is perfect. They sure do have a way of capturing our hearts.:heart:
Btw: any recent pics of Merlin!?!?:D

mtngirl

Sprinting down the street
Join the club......Rico was an accident also, and now I am a certified 'zon lover! I gravitate to them now.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
).

I think by accident I have completely became an amazon person. I didn't even think that they were that pretty at first, now I think that they are totally striking!:heart:
Amazons are a true gem of the bird Kingdom. I am happy that you see and feel the way that I do about this species.

They are the real world Parrot you will find in print from the 1800's and beyond. I have been researching parrot prints and artwork and I have found many Amazons in old prints. I am even more floored when I find a Mealy or plain green parrot in prints knowing they go back so long ago.

Enjoy him, he's a doll Vickie :heart:

Sharon

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Sharon
I'm so glad for you and Merlin. I'm also a new Amazon owner, a Yellow Naped, and I, too, was scared that he would be wrong for me. I'm sure I have much to learn, but I'm absolutely loving this bird!!!:dancing:

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Same for me i had no intention of being owned by an amazon. Well Hiram had other ideas.He literally picked me.I'm sold on amazons also.:D

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's so true what is said about Amazon fever. Once you have it, you're sunk. You're done. No way of getting out of it. :hehe:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Funny how things grow on you EH Vicki. :D

You just don't know, what you don't know, until you know!! :D

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Merlin couldn't have ended up in better hands:hug8: He looks and sounds like such a sweetheart. I was never really an amazon person either, I liked them and was fascinated by them even a little scared of their reputation. I never thought I would end up with one, especially not one this big lol, but he is perfect. They sure do have a way of capturing our hearts.:heart:
Btw: any recent pics of Merlin!?!?:D
Aw, thank you:hug8:

Here is a pretty recent picture of him hanging out in the afternoon sun:)

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Join the club......Rico was an accident also, and now I am a certified 'zon lover! I gravitate to them now.
I am happy to be in the club:dance4:

Amazons are a true gem of the bird Kingdom. I am happy that you see and feel the way that I do about this species.

I do, at least about Merlin and Julio:)

I'm so glad for you and Merlin. I'm also a new Amazon owner, a Yellow Naped, and I, too, was scared that he would be wrong for me. I'm sure I have much to learn, but I'm absolutely loving this bird!!!:dancing:
I have been following Freddie's story. I am glad that you ended up with him. He sounds like a real dolly:heart:

Same for me i had no intention of being owned by an amazon. Well Hiram had other ideas.He literally picked me.I'm sold on amazons also.:D
It seems to be that this is how it goes sometimes:cool1:

It's so true what is said about Amazon fever. Once you have it, you're sunk. You're done. No way of getting out of it. :hehe:
Did you end up an amazon owner by accident too?

Funny how things grow on you EH Vicki. :D

You just don't know, what you don't know, until you know!! :D
Yes! And, I promised myself that I would not have species biases anymore after realizing that they can be so great. Now, my bias has gone in the other direction:hehe:

LuvMyBirds

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Barbara
When I started to work at a Veterinary clinic in 1987 one of the Doctors had a DYH that I ended up caring for. Knew after a while that I wanted a bird so I started off with a cockatiel, added another. A client had this six month old YNA that she boarded all the time. I fell in love with her and several months later she sold Sunni to me. :heart: Thus really started the bird craze years. I adopted a abused WFA, a CAG came next, then a U2 and finally a B&G. Then severe allergies made me slowly rehome everyone but Sunni. She was the only one for over 15yrs, then I adoped Macho and Midori.

Vickie, I understand how the green ones can steal your heart right away :)
Merlin is a lucky lil guy to have come into your life.

Bahama's Momma

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Shauna Hill
I guess I'm an accidental amazon lover too :D I had not thought about living with an amazon but one day Bahama's picture was on the Mickaboo website and I was drawn to his face. I just felt he had the most beautiful and mischevious face I had ever seen on a bird...I just had to meet him. I was really nervious going to meet him because I just thought what if this bird ends up not liking me at all, I would be so sad. I walked in the door and there he was sitting out on his cage all quiet and not moving an inch. He just stared at me with curiosity and his foster mom took him into her room and we sat on her bed with him and I just remember he was such a quiet bird, just sat there. The time can for him to come stay with me. I was pet sitting him while his foster mom was on vacation out of the county. If things went well, he would stay with me and if not she would pick him up when she returned. Well he came to a home of active people and loud cockatiels so being quiet didn't last long. When he started coming out of his shell and playing and vocalizing I realized he was settling in just fine and the rest is history. But if I had not been just completely taken by his picture and story (he had flown into a man's garage who had not idea what to do with him so he called Mickaboo). He joined Mickaboo in July 2004, and by September 2004 I had adopted him :)

birdlover82

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
I'd love to have a amazon one day. I love them but am still intimidated by their beak size.:o: Maybe one day. for now I'll stick with my mini amazon.:lol:
I envy those of you that have them.
I do have one at the bird store that loves me though and lets me give her scratches. When I go in there she watches me until I go to her.:heart:

MoluccanZoey

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather
Touche is my "accidental amazon"- I was fostering him for Anna (FoxersArtist) who runs the Macaw and Cockatoo Rescue in NM. I just thought it would be a temp. thing- after all, I'm a cockatoo person! But then, love happened! He fell in love with me, and I just thought he was the most precious old fella! So...that's how Touche became a "permanent" member of my flock. I never really considered myself an amazon person, (and honestly I don't really have a "way" with them like I do cockatoos)- but he really took a liking to me, so I instantly felt comfortable with him- like we were old buddies. I was really honored that he trusted me and let me do all the things to him that I needed to. I think Touche is just a special amazon!

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
It's really interesting how many here seem to have accidentally ended up with Amazons too! They have quite a reputation and while I can see where it comes from, there are so many great things about them too!

M

M.C Bird Rescue

HA HA HA VICKI!!! I remember when you brought home Merlin..Look at you now!!!!! That beak isnt really THAT scary now is it!

These amazons get a bad rap...but really , its all on how YOU handle them. They are beautiful, funny, and LOUD! They are birds right...LOL.

You are the perfect person for Merlin and any other Zon you bring home will be lucky to have you!

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
HA HA HA VICKI!!! I remember when you brought home Merlin..Look at you now!!!!! That beak isnt really THAT scary now is it!

These amazons get a bad rap...but really , its all on how YOU handle them. They are beautiful, funny, and LOUD! They are birds right...LOL.

You are the perfect person for Merlin and any other Zon you bring home will be lucky to have you!
I know, do you remember how hesitant I was? His beak is still big!!! I just try really hard to listen to his body language and respect him when he communicates. He is happy to cooperate as long as I take my time and listen:)

Thank you for what you said though. I do feel like his perfect person:heart:

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
aww, Sammy was not planned at all either. I had heard from many different breeders that amazons have bad temperaments, etc, and no one should own one, they call them the pit bulls of the bird world (I think it applies to Parrotlets too). Long story short:

Anyways, back in 2006 (can't believe it has been that long!) another member on a different message board posted that they saw an ad at their vet's office for an aggressive, mean RLA.

The person came home and posted what the ad said and all that, and then I asked my dad if I could have her (I explained it all to him), and he said that we might be able to get her,so my parents thought about it for about a week (while we were on vacation) (remember, I had never ever had a large bird, let alone one that was aggressive and abused in the past). So, we contacted the foster parent, talked to her, we went on vacation and my parents said that if when we get back and Sammy had not found a home by then, we would get her.

So, when we got back from vacation we went straight to the local birdfair they were having, I went and asking if Sammy had found a home yet, the foster parent said No. My parents talked again, and then they both said yes. We picked out a cage, toys, perches, food, etc. We brought everything home, set it up, and then about a week after I got everything we went and got Sammy from the foster parent. It seems like it was just yesterday too. I had never seen a picture of her, did not know if she was a feather plucker, or anything, (this sounds kinda insane, but. . .) I felt that God told me that Sammy needed me, so I brought her home with no past experience from any large bird (except a few baby macaws at the birdfair).

When I saw Sammy at the foster parents house, she was very scared and was in a small cage (a square conure sized cage), she was on the foster parents back porch in the shade (in the middle of August, very very hot here too), she had water, and zupreem/walmart seed mix, 2 very old untouched toys, and 2 wooden perches. She was totally wild, did not want anyone to touch her or anything. it was so sad. I thought to myself "I can't do this, it is too hard", and then I thought "I have to do this, because I had to help Sammy". So, I prayed that God would help me with Sammy, and He did. He helped me calm and tame her, and I was so scared of her but I knew I needed to help her. Sammy's wings were chopped/hacked down to practically nothing and it took her 2 years to grow them back in. Her feathers had stress bars all over them and she was molting, plus she chews/barbers the feathers on the inside of her legs. (she still does that).

Sammy has been 1 of the best decisions I have ever made. She is my little baby and she loves me so much. She is flighted and has been for about a year. I love her so much.

Last edited:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
Vicki everytime I see you post about Merlin I just smile smile smile..I love him to pieces and I love that you have him and he is safe and hAppy with you

Status
Not open for further replies.