• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

about my cockatiel

yoyo65

Meeting neighbors
This is how my window almost look like so i install a screen or mash. ok so what should i do to my cockatiel as every time i walk away it start squawking very loudly my grandmada says i can't put it in my living room as it feather has bacteria and will come in contact with the food.so what should i do then if i cant put my bird with the cage in the living room,and what kind of toy should i buy tricky question. and what if i only feed it bird seed only and water sometime even cracker. can i not give it pellet?will my cockatiel lack nutrients?

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
my grandmada says i can't put it in my living room as it feather has bacteria and will come in contact with the food.
I don't know what to say about that.
Many of us keep our birds in the living room, myself included. My birds eat seed, pellets and veggies. They have water bowls full at all times so they can bathe when they wish to.
As long as you are removing fresh foods before they spoil from the cage, there should be no problem. Remember to change the water frequently, I do twice a day or more if I see it going slightly cloudy. As well as empty the drop tray daily.
Keeping the cage clean is important for it to be in the living room and causing as little distruption possible in terms of mess.

what kind of toy should i buy
Try having a few of each type. So one shreddable, one jingle toy, one thing with a bell, as well as foraging toys and activities.
Don't buy solid pine toys, or anything with painted beads.
Some DIY ideas;

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Cockatiels have a fine powdery residue that comes off their feathers...it is NATURAL and nearly for them to have such powder.
It is NOT bacterial, contrary to what your grandmother says. We have three cockatiels - and an Umbrella Cockatoo... and they give off a lot of dust. We've had birds in our home for over 30 years ...with no I'll effects.
Your challenge is to supply fresh veggies and fruit (in moderation)to your baby.
S/he is beautiful, by the way!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Cockatiels are flock animals and like to be where their people are. The living room would be a great place if your grandma would permit it. Their feathers don't contain bacteria. And maybe you could offer to dust every day to make her feel better? As for food, cockatiels should have a varied diet which includes seeds, pellets and vegetables. Crackers should be used sparingly as they often contain salt, etc which really isn't good for birds.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Unless someone is allergic to your cockatiel, their is no health problem associated with keeping your bird in the living room. You could vacuum and clean the cage daily, which should be done no matter where the bird is kept. There is no issue with your bird getting germs in your food. I eat my meals with my birds climbing all over me. As for toys, tiels usually like shreddable materials like sea grass, paper, mahogany pods, sola, balsa, finger traps, and vine balls. Your bird should have a diet of seeds, pellets, and fresh veggies, and I would not feed crackers.

Skum

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Bruce Bergeson
Unless someone is allergic to your cockatiel, their is no health problem associated with keeping your bird in the living room. You could vacuum and clean the cage daily, which should be done no matter where the bird is kept. There is no issue with your bird getting germs in your food. I eat my meals with my birds climbing all over me. As for toys, tiels usually like shreddable materials like sea grass, paper, mahogany pods, sola, balsa, finger traps, and vine balls. Your bird should have a diet of seeds, pellets, and fresh veggies, and I would not feed crackers.
My tiel doesn't allow me to eat without her

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
My bird is into everything in my kitchen. Lol. He shares some breakfast with me most days- but if he doesn’t like what I’m having he drops it back into my bowl… never been made sick.
As a young child my budgie used to walk all over my plate of food to get to what it wanted, fall into my drinks trying to steal some- never got anything from that either. Birds are as clean as their main environment is kept for them. To be honest, I’d personally be quite shocked if (most healthy) birds carried and spread anywhere near as much filthy bacteria as humans do just talking. I’d happily have my bird eat off my plate anytime, most people I know had better keep their grubby fingers to their own plate.

If you vacuum daily and cage clean daily then your bird should stay filth free.