• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A poi possibly sick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Babybreau

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Tanya
Hey all. I got this message from Susan as she only has email on her phone right now. She thinks her female red belly Pretty is sick. Here's what she said:
My Pretty girl is sick. Her droppings have changed and she's sitting fluffed up more. :-( Its hard getting her to the vet because I want my hubby to be there since Pretty won't even let me touch her. But I've made up my mind that he's going to have to get off work early tommorrow to take her in. I can't let another one of my birds die. So maybe light a candle for me andPretty on the avenue to get good wishes and prayers headed our way. I'm getting worried. She still is eating normal and playing but I don't like her dropping changes or how much she's sitting fluffed. Also if you wouldn't mind looking to see what can cause smaller droppings that are a little watery. I HATE not having the internet.

Susan
I've already asked if she had any new foods, more fruits and veggies than norm, caught a draft, changed environment or toys.... Anyone have any ideas? I don't know enough about Pois to answer so we are looking for help from fellow Poi owners.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Getting her to the vet is a good idea. In the meantime keep her warm, calm and hydrated.

I would move her perches and food down, mix her water 50/50 with clear pedylite and get a heating pad set on low under one half of the cage.

I will light a candle for her.

Ginger

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
poor baby..I sure hope that things turn out ok.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Prayers coming her way!!

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I hope she is alright! Ginger has said some very good advice.

:hug8:Prayers coming her way!

I just need to add a little to what Ginger has already said. If she isnt perching on the bottom of the cage, I'd get a HEAT LAMP and have it over 1/2 the cage.

Make sure the room temp is not lower than 75F

With a direct heat lamp over the cage on half the cage, the Basking spot, should be between 85-95 depending on how close she gets to the heat lamp, and she should be allowed to move in and out of this willingly.

Last edited:

Babybreau

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Tanya
I haven't heard from Susan for a couple of days. I hope everything is ok too!

birdlover82

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Thanks Tanya for your help.:hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.