• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A new full time bottle baby.

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
First time mom seems bewildered by this cute little thing that arrived yesterday morning. Grand-goat has been watching her, but doesn't have enough milk for a third kid. It's been a long time since I have had a full time bottle baby. She jumped into the koi pond on my watch, and came inside to get cleaned and dried. I must be rusty! Monaco is not at all sure if she's curious or angry. She's not quite right, so I will have to watch, help and wait to see if it resolves.

IMG_20200527_155803.jpg

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
So cute!

Sodapop&Co.

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww what a pretty baby! :heart:Are she and Monaco in the same space?

Sodapop&Co.

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
quick question - is it just the picture or does she always stand on her fore-legs like that? Looks like a backwards knuckle-walker; strange. I would check to see if she has the strength in her joints to straighten her legs.

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww what a pretty baby! :heart:Are she and Monaco in the same space?
For a couple of hours she'll be in the living room to make sure she is alright. I can't find my stethoscope, but it will turn up.

Yes, her legs are not strong at all yet, but have full, normal mobility. It's a product of not getting up and walking around soon enough. The strange angle is from the dog bed under the towel.

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Well, her legs are worse now that I've had her up and moving all afternoon. I will have to splint her legs and see if that helps her. Poor thing is going to be even more wonky for the time being.

Sodapop&Co.

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Well, her legs are worse now that I've had her up and moving all afternoon. I will have to splint her legs and see if that helps her. Poor thing is going to be even more wonky for the time being.
Aww. Maybe phone a vet? To be on the safe side. They could tell you if there's something you should be supplementing to help her. If she can't straighten them herself then it could be some deficiency I'm thinking. Are they still like in the picture or doubled over forwards? This looks awfully uncomfortable; so much strain on the joint. :(

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
It's not likely a deficiency this early. This happens more frequently with young moms, and slightly undercooked kids. Splinting is the best way to get the gumby-ness under control. She's burning extra energy walking like she is, but not showing any discomfort yet. She's only 36 hours old, so I'm not worried yet.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
She sure is cute, I'm sure your well versed in dealing with this kind of stuff,,,let us know how the little darling is going along..

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Beautiful.

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
She sure is cute, I'm sure your well versed in dealing with this kind of stuff,,,let us know how the little darling is going along..
She is. Yes, it's been almost 20 years raising these trouble makers now. Gawd I'm getting old! When I quit vet tech-ing for the emergency clinic, I threw myself into running the ranch and raising cattle and goats. I lost the ranch, but I couldn't give up my goats. There's just two of my original crew left now.

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
3 down, just one foot left to get with the program. She seems to be blind in one eye, but eating well and discovering how bouncy goat legs can be.

IMG_20200529_222515.jpg

Sodapop&Co.

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Oh I'm so happy she's improving! Blind in one eye? Poor girl. :( But she's young; she'll do fine I'd think. Bouncy babies - gosh I miss em!

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Oh I'm so happy she's improving! Blind in one eye? Poor girl. :( But she's young; she'll do fine I'd think. Bouncy babies - gosh I miss em!
Yes it's some relief to the rest of the things going on, for sure. I've never experienced an eye issue like this before. I've been putting ointment in it just in case, but I don't see any change. It looked like a newborn eye (weird non-color) but a touch cloudy until yesterday afternoon, but it's just cloudy now with the color behind it. It's odd.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
This morning the wonkyness is gone, and she's finding her springs! Honestly I think goat feet and legs should be one of the wonders of the world. At least the 11th or 12th. She needs a name, because I'm pretty sure she is going to join the herd. I had a running flower theme for a long time to honor her great granddam Daisy. She's got delicate grey and tan moon spots. She will be a big girl, but I've been calling her my standard "lil' bit."

Any suggestions?

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie