• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A Judy update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tangle Elf

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Judy hasn't had amphotericin B in almost a week now. It's been really upsetting for me because it was working so well. She hasn't had mucus coming out of her nose since we started her back on the nebulizer. Unfortunately, we there have been supply issues. Finally, after calling all around and visiting some pharmacies, we were able to find a local pharmacy. Their supplier has enough plenty in stock. I found the pharmacy yesterday, had the order called in and was able to pick up the med today. It's a small, local pharmacy and I was happy to give them my business.

What really made me mad is that the vet I was getting it from ran out. They didn't know when they would get it in. It seems to me like if you have a patient on a med that has to be refilled every 10 days, it would be a good idea to keep some on hand for them. They were also really dismissive about getting it in at all. I knew there was a reason I stopped going there. Unfortunately, the vet I take her to now isn't able to get the amphotericin B at all. They've been fantastic about calling around and trying to find it, but it seems to be in short supply. That could have to do with the fungal meningitis outbreak in humans, I'm not sure.

So, tonight is Judy's first night getting nebulized again. She's doing well with it. I posted poop pictures a few days ago. Other than the abnormal amount of urine she's had for the last month, her poops are back to normal. I wish this poor birdie would just get better. She's already been through so much. She is letting me scritch her again. I don't try unless she puts her head down, but she hasn't made an attempt to bite me (other than when she's getting meds) in a while.

We're still trying to decide if we're going to do a CT scan or not. Right now my plan is to take her back in a month and have her sinuses flushed out really well. We'll probably do cultures at the same time and decide if a CT scan is warranted at that time.

Judy's backstory is that she has asper, pseudomonas and a staff infection. She's on terbinafine, amikacin and amphotericin B. She's had blood tests since the abnormal poops started and it came back clean.

Thank you all for your advice and support. We really appreciate it. I don't think Judy would have made it this far without the help of the wonderful people on AA and she's going strong.

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Awe poor baby....I think I would be a little upset too if my vet didn't keep in supply the necessary meds:( I hope she continues to do well and get better:)

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
I'm so sorry to hear about Judy not doing well. I used to have an elderly, ill Amazon. I understand how difficult it can be. I hope Judy turns around soon.:hug8::hug8::hug8:

Pookamama

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Diana
:( The meds thing would have made me very upset, I'm sorry! Sending some healing thoughts for dear Judy!

wonderb

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
:hug8:You and Judy hang in there! I know exactly what you're going through. It's up and down and up and down. It is so upsetting to see them regress just when you think you're on the upswing. :( You're not alone!

merlinsmom13

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Becky

Stormcloud

Squawk Talk!
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gerard
Jen & Ellen, is there no way that the asper can be cured? Or is it just a case that once they've had it that they are just extremely susceptible to getting it again? I think the two of you are great with your never-give-up attitudes and I hope that those treatments will allow you both to have some quality time with Judy & Olive free of worry. :)

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Jen & Ellen, is there no way that the asper can be cured? Or is it just a case that once they've had it that they are just extremely susceptible to getting it again? I think the two of you are great with your never-give-up attitudes and I hope that those treatments will allow you both to have some quality time with Judy & Olive free of worry. :)
Nope Gerald, Asper cannot be cured. The acute version can be deadly in a very short time span, but the chronic version can be subdued to the point that the patient can live many years (generally with recurrences and with secondary issues like Judy and Olive are having).

Please read this: 01 Aspergillosis in Birds - VeterinaryPartner.com - a VIN company!

And this

http://forums.avianavenue.com/diseases/11130-aspergillosis-sad-update.html

The disease is deadly and the medications are almost as bad.
ML

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:hug8: To you and Judy. What a good and patient girl. I hope she continues to do well.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Judy hasn't had amphotericin B in almost a week now. It's been really upsetting for me because it was working so well. She hasn't had mucus coming out of her nose since we started her back on the nebulizer. Unfortunately, we there have been supply issues. Finally, after calling all around and visiting some pharmacies, we were able to find a local pharmacy. Their supplier has enough plenty in stock. I found the pharmacy yesterday, had the order called in and was able to pick up the med today. It's a small, local pharmacy and I was happy to give them my business.

What really made me mad is that the vet I was getting it from ran out. They didn't know when they would get it in. It seems to me like if you have a patient on a med that has to be refilled every 10 days, it would be a good idea to keep some on hand for them. They were also really dismissive about getting it in at all. I knew there was a reason I stopped going there. Unfortunately, the vet I take her to now isn't able to get the amphotericin B at all. They've been fantastic about calling around and trying to find it, but it seems to be in short supply. That could have to do with the fungal meningitis outbreak in humans, I'm not sure.

So, tonight is Judy's first night getting nebulized again. She's doing well with it. I posted poop pictures a few days ago. Other than the abnormal amount of urine she's had for the last month, her poops are back to normal. I wish this poor birdie would just get better. She's already been through so much. She is letting me scritch her again. I don't try unless she puts her head down, but she hasn't made an attempt to bite me (other than when she's getting meds) in a while.

We're still trying to decide if we're going to do a CT scan or not. Right now my plan is to take her back in a month and have her sinuses flushed out really well. We'll probably do cultures at the same time and decide if a CT scan is warranted at that time.

Judy's backstory is that she has asper, pseudomonas and a staff infection. She's on terbinafine, amikacin and amphotericin B. She's had blood tests since the abnormal poops started and it came back clean.

Thank you all for your advice and support. We really appreciate it. I don't think Judy would have made it this far without the help of the wonderful people on AA and she's going strong.
Jen - we ran into shortages of various medications several times. In fact, my vet was so invested in Hank that he "saved" Doxycycline when Hank had MRSA. It was not available, period. We have a crisis in the US with availability of many medications and it is all the fault of the FDA with it's draconian regulations.

Jasper had a CAT scan for a still undiagnosed illness (still undiagnosed but subdued). Dr. Driggers took the CAT scan disk to the AVA convention in Savanah and a bunch of hotshot Vets(Speer, Burkett,Wissman etc.) looked at it and could not find a source or cause of her symptoms. It cost $1,400 for the scan, so I would put your vet through the hoops to explain what he hopes to find.

During Hank's treatment we found that endoscopies and lavage with Amphotericen B was a game changer. But Judy's Asper is presenting differently.

God, you just keep trying and crying.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Jen - Are you watching for liver and kidney distress?

Kathie

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
Jen - so sorry to hear this! Even more upset that your vet (and I believe he is my vet, too) did not have the medication. That worries me. Hope Judy will continue on her road to recovery.

:hug8:

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
:hug8: to you and Judy.

I've been running into all sorts of problems with nationwide shortages of my medications but so far not for my animals. I can only imagine how upsetting this is for you:(

Ziggymon

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse

According to my cat and dog vet, companies are simply ceasing to make certain medications when they find that there is not sufficient demand to make the profit margins they want - they concentrate on the most profitable product lines. He says he is constantly having to scurry around to find alternatives. It has nothing to do with the FDA - the FDA's processes slow down the availability of new meds which are already in use in other countries, but have minimal to no impact on production of meds which have long since gone through the approval process and have been in production.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Here is a position paper on the drug shortage that pretty thoroughly investigates reasons for drug shortages. It is well documented, if you are into reading a bunch of scientific and economic data.

As is usual it is not as simplistic as issues with the FDA (although one cause), nor evil corporate greed. There are several contributing factors.

http://www.iafc.org/files/1ASSOC/Position_NationalDrugShortage.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.