• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A good update...

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
As many of you know, Milton is a plucker...he began the habit a few years ago when he was spooked by the neighbors shooting of fireworks on the July 4th holiday. He continued, on and off even through the middle of this year, getting both sides of his face and about a quarter of the way down his chest plucked.

About two months ago, Milty began another series of feather regrowth...usually he would let them start to unfurl... and pull them out. Anyway, he decided not to do that this time...and the result is some wonderful regrowth on his face and chest!

I know this could change in an instant for no reason, but for now, we are celebrating new feathers. :D

And as most of you know, Milton is extremely camera adverse...and has been for years...but we're going to try to get some pictures of His Royal Featherbutt so you all can see the new feathers! :bounce8:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I´m so happy for you! Go Milton! :starshower1:
It´s not easy having a bird who plucks, what joy to see him not plucking new feathers :loveshower:

T. gillii

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Link
congrats!!! so excited for possible Milton pics :fairy2:

Wthensler

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
William hensler
Miss Coco doesn’t pluck, but barbers her feathers. On occasion, she has picked a hole under her wing, always in the same spot.

I wish Milton the best, he’s such an iconic part of AA, it breaks many hearts when he does pluck, but as ‘too owners, we understand.

Speaking of spooked, Miss Coco was dreadfully frightened of my wife’s witch hat we got for Halloween.

So much so that we had so hide it in the closet.

Khizz

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Eee I'm so excited to see pictures of Milton! I tell my husband about his antics, we're both big Milty fans :)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
What wonderful happy news.
Good job Milty :heart:

Really looking forward to pics of Milton and I really hope you get to keep your camera in working order :hehe:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
:yah: That’s wonderful news! Keep it up Milton!

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
Bob that is so great!!! :xflove:

Milton keep up the good work you great bird!!!:heart::heart:

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:dance4: Maybe you can try to photos before wet time as his mind will be occupied...Maybe even make a fluffy pig outfit to put on your camera so he thinks its a odd pig...If you try maybe you can out smart him or at least have fun trying!!!!....:rofl:

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Do you compliment him on his pretty pretty feathers or do you think calling attention to it will make him pluck again? Hard to tell how they think....

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Prayers that he lets his new feathers be. :angel1:

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Oh mercy - I didn't realize he began plucking because of fireworks! Poor baby. Charlie Dog was terrified of them. I hope Milty will leave those new feathers intact!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Do you compliment him on his pretty pretty feathers or do you think calling attention to it will make him pluck again? Hard to tell how they think....
We always compliment Milton on letting his feathers grow. :) He loves compliments of any kind, as most 'toos do...I don't know how they know you're complimenting them, but they always seem to know!

Cassie B was also the same way...she seemed to glow when you complimented her on her feather growth...:D

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
We always compliment Milton on letting his feathers grow. :) He loves compliments of any kind, as most 'toos do...I don't know how they know you're complimenting them, but they always seem to know!

Cassie B was also the same way...she seemed to glow when you complimented her on her feather growth...:D
Oh great! Maybe that will help! :heart:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
With all the birds that we can "handle" I like to make a feather check, along with a cursory look see for any unusual bumps, cuts, bruises, etc. The littles (tiels and Buddy) are a bit squirmy at times, so I have to be quick about the procedure. Since the budgies are "hands-off", I use a magnifying glass to eye ball them from the edge of their cage. ;)

Milton is an exception...he enjoys the the attention...so when I see a patch of pinnies coming in, I really lavish praise on him for the new growth...which pleases him...so he'll let me keep looking on his body...:D