• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A Frost & Jewel Update

Dorcas George

Rollerblading along the road
It is almost the end of quarantine time for Jewel (yep, that is the name of the new bird, if you missed it). I was gone much more than I wanted to be during the last month, so didn't spend as much time with my new baby birdy as I'd hoped, but it is going reasonably well. More about that in a moment.

People who think budgies don't have very individual personalities...well, they just don't know, do they? I am remembering Packer (flying high and free at the Rainbow Bridge) and how he was so depressed when we lost Breeze, his little lady love. Then Frost arrived and Packer called and squawked like a maniac bird. And in a not-quite-careful-enough moment on my part, Packer heard the budgie chirps from a different room and ZOOMED through a slightly open door at the first opportunity. And sat on a perch bolt on the outside of the cage so he could be as close to Frost as possible. And leaned on him when he was in the cage. I have a photo of that. It was sweet and also hilarious.

Frost and Jewel can hear each other. Lots of calling some days. Funny thing--to me anyway--is that Frost says CHEEP and Jewel says PEEP! These quarantines are hard, huh? Anyway, Frost has made no attempts to find the other bird. Frost is a bit of a perch potato. Just calls. He hasn't had as much flight time lately because I've had to leave home often, but when he has, he just follows his normal "flight path" which usually includes a head buzz to me, then into the large living room and then back to the cage top where he likes to sit and survey his kingdom. There isn't much flying just for fun since he's been a solo bird. Yesterday he got more curious and his path varied to closer to where those chirps were coming from. And then again, a little closer. If it had been Packer, he'd have been sitting on the top of the door frame hollering to get in. So I guess it is good that quarantine is almost over.

Now, some pondering, and please chime in with thoughts.

Jewel was seriously rambunctious in the pet store budgie cage. At home she has been more timid than I expected. However, she usually will hop on my hand if I have seed. Not otherwise, but she is not really frightened if I'm slow. I'll keep working on that. Her wings are clipped. Ugh. She's in a small room, and I've sat in there with her a couple of times with her cage door open. Once she ventured to the doorway but no further. Usually she looks timid and stays where she is.

So I am planning on moving her cage into the room where Frost is and putting it, for a while, next to the big PALACE that lonely Frost inhabits. There may be a cage change in their future, but I'll post about that at another time.

I expect Frost will always avoid hands. He wants me to talk to him. He calls me, especially when I arrive home after being away. He wants to head buzz me regularly. But it has been a long time of trying with very limited success (especially since he was sick and had to be captured and then sent to vet for three days) to get him used to my hand. Sometimes, if I give him PLENTY of time and he is wanting seed, he will hop on my palm. He used to let me move him out of the cage on my hand, but since Packer has been gone, that has ended.

Anyway, I really, really, really want Jewel to be tame. So I will keep working with her, and Frost too, at least some. So do you think it is okay for them to be near each other in separate cages, or do you think that I should NOT put her in the room with Frost yet?

I don't want her in the big cage until she is more able to be handled. It is so big that if Frost goes to the back of it he is difficult to reach! I'm thinking of putting her in the room with Frost when I am gone, or for part of the day if I'm home, but taking her to the little room for time with me. And if the cage door is open, she would have to be in the small room anyway since her wings are clipped. Or should I not put her in the room with Frost yet? (That will be hard.)

Ideas? Suggestions?

Oh, she is not a fan but is trying pellets a bit, and has nibbled veggies. Hooray! I didn't want to try much of a diet change at first, but I think that will go okay, especially once she is with Frost. He gets greens and pellets in the morning and seeds only in the evening. I'll try to get a photo of Jewel. She is changing. :)

Last edited:

peachypjm

Strolling the yard
It is almost the end of quarantine time for Jewel (yep, that is the name of the new bird, if you missed it). I was gone much more than I wanted to be during the last month, so didn't spend as much time with my new baby birdy as I'd hoped, but it is going reasonably well. More about that in a moment.

People who think budgies don't have very individual personalities...well, they just don't know, do they? I am remembering Packer (flying high and free at the Rainbow Bridge) and how he was so depressed when we lost Breeze, his little lady love. Then Frost arrived and Packer called and squawked like a maniac bird. And in a not-quite-careful-enough moment on my part, Packer heard the budgie chirps from a different room and ZOOMED through a slightly open door at the first opportunity. And sat on a perch bolt on the outside of the cage so he could be as close to Frost as possible. And leaned on him when he was in the cage. I have a photo of that. It was sweet and also hilarious.

Frost and Jewel can hear each other. Lots of calling some days. Funny thing--to me anyway--is that Frost says CHEEP and Jewel says PEEP! These quarantines are hard, huh? Anyway, Frost has made no attempts to find the other bird. Frost is a bit of a perch potato. Just calls. He hasn't had as much flight time lately because I've had to leave home often, but when he has, he just follows his normal "flight path" which usually includes a head buzz to me, then into the large living room and then back to the cage top where he likes to sit and survey his kingdom. There isn't much flying just for fun since he's been a solo bird. Yesterday he got more curious and his path varied to closer to where those chirps were coming from. And then again, a little closer. If it had been Packer, he'd have been sitting on the top of the door frame hollering to get in. So I guess it is good that quarantine is almost over.

Now, some pondering, and please chime in with thoughts.

Jewel was seriously rambunctious in the pet store budgie cage. At home she has been more timid than I expected. However, she usually will hop on my hand if I have seed. Not otherwise, but she is not really frightened if I'm slow. I'll keep working on that. Her wings are clipped. Ugh. She's in a small room, and I've sat in there with her a couple of times with her cage door open. Once she ventured to the doorway but no further. Usually she looks timid and stays where she is.

So I am planning on moving her cage into the room where Frost is and putting it, for a while, next to the big PALACE that lonely Frost inhabits. There may be a cage change in their future, but I'll post about that at another time.

I expect Frost will always avoid hands. He wants me to talk to him. He calls me, especially when I arrive home after being away. He wants to head buzz me regularly. But it has been a long time of trying with very limited success (especially since he was sick and had to be captured and then sent to vet for three days) to get him used to my hand. Sometimes, if I give him PLENTY of time and he is wanting seed, he will hop on my palm. He used to let me move him out of the cage on my hand, but since Packer has been gone, that has ended.

Anyway, I really, really, really want Jewel to be tame. So I will keep working with her, and Frost too, at least some. So do you think it is okay for them to be near each other in separate cages, or do you think that I should NOT put her in the room with Frost yet?

I don't want her in the big cage until she is more able to be handled. It is so big that if Frost goes to the back of it he is difficult to reach! I'm thinking of putting her in the room with Frost when I am gone, or for part of the day if I'm home, but taking her to the little room for time with me. And if the cage door is open, she would have to be in the small room anyway since her wings are clipped. Or should I not put her in the room with Frost yet? (That will be hard.)

Ideas? Suggestions?

Oh, she is not a fan but is trying pellets a bit, and has nibbled veggies. Hooray! I didn't want to try much of a diet change at first, but I think that will go okay, especially once she is with Frost. He gets greens and pellets in the morning and seeds only in the evening. And I'm looking for the photo of Frost and Packer. Makes me sad now, but still smile too. I'll try to get a photo of Jewel. She is changing. :)
good luck !! so proud of you for pellet conversion !! maybe try crushing pellets over the food she prefers, it may get her used to it a bit more!!! good luck to you and your baby :heart:

Sodapop&Co.

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Awww it's been so long! I'm so sorry to hear about Packer; I didn't know anything had happened to him. :darkcloud::sadhug2:

Jewel sounds like a very sweet little lady. I'm sure they'll both come out of their shells once they get to be together! Any pictures? :heart:

Dorcas George

Awww it's been so long! I'm so sorry to hear about Packer; I didn't know anything had happened to him. :darkcloud::sadhug2:

Jewel sounds like a very sweet little lady. I'm sure they'll both come out of their shells once they get to be together! Any pictures? :heart:
I was gone from the forum for several months. It has been a difficult year. Hope you are doing okay? Packer just plummeted to the cage floor and when I went to check, the poor little guy was dead. I was shocked and horrified! Lots of bad things happening already and then I got quite sick with Covid19. Later, looked and looked for a bird to rehome, eventually gave up and went to pet store. Frost was just not perking up. About to do a new post of Jewel photos. I did post some when she first arrived, but she has changed somewhat.

Sodapop&Co.

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I was gone from the forum for several months. It has been a difficult year. Hope you are doing okay? Packer just plummeted to the cage floor and when I went to check, the poor little guy was dead. I was shocked and horrified! Lots of bad things happening already and then I got quite sick with Covid19. Later, looked and looked for a bird to rehome, eventually gave up and went to pet store. Frost was just not perking up. About to do a new post of Jewel photos. I did post some when she first arrived, but she has changed somewhat.
I'm so sorry. All of that must have been really difficult to deal with. Always so hard to lose a fid. :( I'm glad you found a buddy for Frost - even though pet stores aren't ideal, the birds are still just babies needing loving homes so i'm glad you brought Jewel home. <3 Here we're doing alright, so far; I guess. I've recently developed asthma as well as bad allergies, and it's made keeping my babies a lot more difficult. Unfortunately, I don't know what the future holds now... But right now everyone is happy and healthy. :) Kiwi and Zooks wish Frost much happiness and comfort and say welcome to Jewel; they know she's going to be very happy in her new home. ;) All the best to you all!

Dorcas George

I'm so sorry. All of that must have been really difficult to deal with. Always so hard to lose a fid. :( I'm glad you found a buddy for Frost - even though pet stores aren't ideal, the birds are still just babies needing loving homes so i'm glad you brought Jewel home. <3 Here we're doing alright, so far; I guess. I've recently developed asthma as well as bad allergies, and it's made keeping my babies a lot more difficult. Unfortunately, I don't know what the future holds now... But right now everyone is happy and healthy. :) Kiwi and Zooks wish Frost much happiness and comfort and say welcome to Jewel; they know she's going to be very happy in her new home. ;) All the best to you all!
Oh, I’m sorry about the asthma. Well, I wanted a buddy, not a girlfriend, but...

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I was unable to tame one after I put it with the other. So my advice is keep working with Jewel, as many times daily as possible. Don’t put them together until she’s really tame.

Dorcas George

I was unable to tame one after I put it with the other. So my advice is keep working with Jewel, as many times daily as possible. Don’t put them together until she’s really tame.
By "together' do you mean not even cages in same room sometimes? Whew....listening to them hollering at each other, so to speak, right now!

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
Good to hear from you again! Tweetie is my timid and shy guy. He will come on my hand to eat millet and a couple of times he came to my hand for a few seconds to my utter delight. When I got Buddy, who was very tame, he was in quarantine and he and Tweetie called back and forth all the time. When the quarantine ended, I put the two cages side-by-side for a week. During that week, they would hang out on a perch as close to each other as possible. When the time came for the introduction, I just opened the cage doors to let it happen. It took them about 30 minutes but they came out and flew around. Buddy followed Tweetie into the big cage and they've been inseparable ever since. They had a "honeymoon" for about 45 days doing everything together and I was irrelevant to them.:rofl: Its been almost a year since they were put together and we three have great fun together. Both my guys learned a lot from each other. My suggestions is to put the cages side-by-side and watch them. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how much both of them perk up and pay attention to each other. It may take Jewell and Frost longer to bring you into their flock than if they were separate but they will be so happy. Buddy comes and plays on me all the time and Tweetie watches him do that. I think one day that Tweetie will trust me enough to come play on me also. My chair is beside their cage and they will come perch beside me in their cage or on the perch outside right beside my chair.

Good luck and have fun with them. Please let us know how it goes!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
By "together' do you mean not even cages in same room sometimes? Whew....listening to them hollering at each other, so to speak, right now!
Right, cages sometimes not in same room so I can train one or the other.

As you see (hear?) they didn’t suffer!:laugh:

Dorcas George

Right, cages sometimes not in same room so I can train one or the other.

As you see (hear?) they didn’t suffer!:laugh:
Okay, Frost is in a BIG cage. Too big, really. It isn't great for moving around (which was the plan when I acquired it, but...wow...) but Jewel is in a smaller cage that can be moved from place to place. I'm thinking I will put her (maybe him, right @Mybluebird) in the big room next to Frost but I can move her back where she is for 1 on 1 time with me. And I am still sorta trying with Frost, so him too. When I asked "cages not even in same room" I didn't say it well but I meant at all. I don't think I could do it! Frost is going nuts right now. Oh, I can't put Jewel in Frost's big cage. She can't fly. She has a hard time navigating her small cage. I hope her wings grow out quickly. So it will be two cages and two homes for now.

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
Awww, poor little Jewel! Hope her molt comes soon so her wing feathers grow out. You may find that moving her into another room to work with her isn't too effective. She may be looking around and calling to Frost rather than paying attention to you. Give it a try but you may need Plan B. You might just need to let her settle some when taking her to another room to work with her. When you do that, make sure you have enough time. Hope it works out beautifully for you!

Dorcas George

Awww, poor little Jewel! Hope her molt comes soon so her wing feathers grow out. You may find that moving her into another room to work with her isn't too effective. She may be looking around and calling to Frost rather than paying attention to you. Give it a try but you may need Plan B. You might just need to let her settle some when taking her to another room to work with her. When you do that, make sure you have enough time. Hope it works out beautifully for you!
I would probably put her somewhere in the AM and leave her for a while and hope for the best. We shall see. I put the cages side by side and they sat in complete silence for about 5 minutes before they started chirping. LOL! I left for a quick trip to the store, and my daughter (who lives upstairs in an apartment) came down to talk to me about something and decided that Frost needed a perch lower down in his cage so he could sit across from Jewel. So she put a perch in, but Frost OF COURSE! flew out and is now either on top of Jewel's cage kissing her through the cage top or trying to show her the usual flight path. He flies across the room and calls and then gives up and goes back to her cage top. Argh. Might be "fun" getting him to go back to his cage. Jewel is trying desperately to get OUT at the bottom of her cage.

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
If I separate Tweetie and Buddy (when I have to give one medicine for a few days or go to the vet) they try to get to each other. Tweetie goes crazy chewing on the bars and trying to figure a way out. I recently had to give Tweetie meds for a bacterial infection. While I was treating him, he was in the small hospital cage and I didn't let him out to fly around. I let Buddy out to fly and he immediately flew to Tweetie's cage and perched there. My vet told me that in the future bring both birds in even if only one is sick because they get so stressed when I separate them.

Your Jewel and Frost are already getting bonded!

Dorcas George

7000D50E-8B17-4EA6-8D5B-BF1A1F6F0561.jpeg B742F5C8-2D8E-4B84-BE99-36F9EC179522.jpeg

Frost is hanging on the back of the cage. And then they figured a way to share greens. Jewel is eating parsley leaves and Frost is on the outside munching on the stems. Last night she ignored me completely. She spent the night in the small bedroom and this morning she once again ate out of my hand. Punctuated by peeping at Frost who was, of course, calling loudly. I spent some time with her and the moved her back by Frost and let him out. The pictures tell that story.

Jewel got out of cage last night, to both her and my surprise, and sailed to the floor. Poor baby really cannot fly AT ALL. She scuttled around a bit but did eventually hop on my palm for a ride back to her cage.

I hope I didn't do the wrong thing by letting them be in the same room. We shall see. Oh, I did teach Jewel how to ring the little bell that is hanging on her swing. She ignored the swing for a month but yesterday decided to hop on. And now she is ringing the bell. Or maybe just trying to remove it. She's gonna be a chewer. Right now she's just sitting on a perch doing the crazy wing flap. Her wings are so short. Poor little bird. Grrrr.

Last edited:

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
That's so cute! I think you can open the cage doors and let them be together. Depending on how it goes, you might want to separate them for bedtime. If they are like my Buddy and Tweetie, they won't want to be separated and will contact call if separated.

Dorcas George

That's so cute! I think you can open the cage doors and let them be together. Depending on how it goes, you might want to separate them for bedtime. If they are like my Buddy and Tweetie, they won't want to be separated and will contact call if separated.
Hi there, @Mybluebird . I never sent the message I said I would...got busier than planned. But I will at some point.

Well, couple things. Thinking about what @finchly said about working with one bird or the other in separate places...but the other issue about letting them be in same cage--Frost's cage is ginormous, and Jewel would have a hard time in there, due to clipped wings. Frost would most likely zoom right over and go in the smaller cage with Jewel, but getting them separated would be problematic. I mean, Frost does not want to be touched. Period. Sometimes, with reluctance, he will get on my hand for seed. Getting him OUT of that little cage at bedtime, or because I want to spend time with J. would be difficult. As for Jewel, she is warming up but slowly, and I don't want to spook her. I'm trying to think of a practical way to do this--not sure there is one. She is calm now, but she spent about 30 minutes making an amazing racket trying to dismantle her cage. Sheesh. I just couldn't keep poor Frosty Bird waiting much more, but this now has a whole new bunch of stuff to think about.