• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A Cautionary Tale of Light

Alien J

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
This happened to TD and I about a month ago. Before I went to Ohio. Before I even heard of a bird named Oscar. I wasn't going to share it. For some reason, I feel like it was my fault. Like! I made a really stupid mistake and it's hard to tell people about your stupid mistakes. But, here it goes...

We had an electrician out to install a dimmer switch in TD's room a couple of months after we moved in. George had tried to do it. He's done many. Before he moved out West bcuz of his son's respiratory issues, he was an apprentice electrician. But when he removed the switch plate he said, "I've never seen anything like this". So we called the electrician.

Four hundred dollars later and everything was good. We put in a dimmer bulb and that was that. Or so we thought.

Then, about a month ago, I was playing with TD during his out of cage time. I noticed he kept cocking his head and looking up at the light fixture. It's right next to the smoke detector so I thought he was looking at the blinking light. After about an hour of playtime, he went to the top of his cage for scritches (I thought, as that's his usual routine). But he didn't want scritches. He just kept staring up at the light. Suddenly the bulb exploded. Tiny bits of glass everywhere. TD smashing about the room in a fright flight. It was horrible.

Luckily he wasn't hurt and I was able to yell out for George to bring the travel cage and we got him in it then set about cleaning up the room - thoroughly.

I don't know if the lightbulb was one we bought or one that was at the house when we moved in. There were several in a cupboard in the kitchen when we took possession. I don't remember what brand it was. I know it was specifically for dimmer light. So, just a warning... buy only top of the line light bulbs. It could have been so much worse.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh gosh that's so scary! Thank goodness yall were ok.

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
That’s so scary so glad you are both ok he must have known though seemed like he had a sixth sense

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Wow, I’m so glad no one was hurt.

I’ve never heard of bulbs specifically for dimmer switches- we’ve always just used normal ones.

It’s nearly impossible to find glass bulbs in my area now, they’re all the plastic LED ones.

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Oh my gosh! I wonder if he could hear the electricity buzzing?

Spearmint

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
So scary! Glad everyones okay.

Spearmint also noticed before our lightbulb exploded in the kitchen, wouldn't stop looking at it and making his "cautious" noise (makes it when he sees something not used to, like a bug or bird). So weird how they know...maybe they hear the buzzing, or see something get brighter/dimmer?

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
Wow, I’m so glad no one was hurt.

I’ve never heard of bulbs specifically for dimmer switches- we’ve always just used normal ones.

It’s nearly impossible to find glass bulbs in my area now, they’re all the plastic LED ones.
I went to the store the next day to get a replacement. I had never heard of a bulb specifically for dimmers, either, but George assured me that this was the case. It definitely is the case, though the words "for dimmers" and "not to be used with a dimmer switch " are small on both types. All you have to do is check out the prices. The dimmable ones are about 3x the regular bulbs! Of course.

Oh my gosh! I wonder if he could hear the electricity buzzing?
That's what we wondered!
So scary! Glad everyones okay.

Spearmint also noticed before our lightbulb exploded in the kitchen, wouldn't stop looking at it and making his "cautious" noise (makes it when he sees something not used to, like a bug or bird). So weird how they know...maybe they hear the buzzing, or see something get brighter/dimmer?
Well, they must hear something. Glad you guys were OK. If ever TD is staring at a light bulb like that again I'm replacing it no questions asked!