• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures A bit of bonding time!

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So the last 2 weeks or so Bosco has been all about coming out of his cage and hanging out on his rope perch and letting me get closer and interacting with me briefly like at one point reaching out and touching my nose than running away lol or beaking my shirt when I offer my shoulder to him but still not having the courage to attempt to step up yet. But he's extremely curious about me and really likes to follow me around in the cage and get so close to me but still not attempting full on contact.

But last night he unfortunately fell off the cage again (curse you pet store clipped wings!) and I had to catch him again and last time this happened I just immediately popped him back in his cage. This time though since we had been making good progress I decided to try and see if we could perhaps bond a little bit over this unexpected chance. Things went fairly well I'd say, he wasn't struggling, and I was lightly holding him and whispering to him and giving him gentle scritches on his head and he seemed to be enjoying it he was leaning his head into my touch and was closing his eyes and relaxing. At one point he laid his head down and started to watch tv,so I thought things were going pretty well. I took a risk and loosened my 2 fingered light hold and tried to see if he would perch on my finger and he said absolutely not I'm outta here! He jumped as high as he could and flapped and landed on the carpet and quickly walked behind my tv stand (the place I've always dreaded him going with all the wires) Thankfully he came back out in about a minute and no harm was done however....lets say he got a tiny bit dusty back there so I decided to see if he would be ok taking a shower and oh my did he love it! He was doing cute little jumps and fluttering his wings in the water and having a grand old time. I let him stay in there about 5 mins than gently picked him up and returned him to his cage.

I was worried that perhaps this was the wrong choice to try to interact more hands on with him I've been as slow and careful as I could be in regards to showing him that I can be trusted and I'm not going to force myself on him and that he can start to tame(if he ever does) at his own pace but I admit I really wanted to try to show him that if I do touch him that I won't hurt him and that he can get scritches and help with his pinnies and such. I'm happy to report that he seems to be acting the same with me. Doesn't seem anymore wary than normal and isnt more flighty or trying to avoid me so I hope that means that he doesn't view me in a bad way now.
Bosco in my hand 1.jpg
Bosco laying in my hand watching tv.jpg
Bosco in the shower.jpg

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think just keep an eye on his signals. It sounds as though he wasn't very frightened, and that's a good thing!

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
It seems like you're making good pegress with your cutey :heart2:

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think just keep an eye on his signals. It sounds as though he wasn't very frightened, and that's a good thing!
He's thankfully acting the same as he has been. He readily came out multiple times today and let me get as close as he has been out of the cage and inside the cage he actually let me get a little closer today. Normally he will climb away if i try to put his dropped foot toys back on his platform when he's perched on one of the sides. But tonight he stayed there while I returned several so thats a huge deal! I'm so proud of him.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It seems like you're making good pegress with your cutey :heart2:
I really think so,every day he gets braver and I couldn't be more proud of him.

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
That's amazing! I remember when you got him and he was super skittish. Soo much improvement:yah: :goodluck:

Gen120

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
Aweee how sweet!! He's such a cutie!

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Aweee how sweet!! He's such a cutie!
He's utterly adorable. I call him my little blue owl cause that's what he reminds me of.